Aqua Computer Aquaero Owners thread

Associate
This is exactly the cause for the FAN RPM's fluctuating. Many many many fan extension cables out there connect all the FAN RPM signals (All the ones I have all do). Quick fix is to disconnect the RPM pin from all the fan extension sockets except from the last one in the chain before the wires go into the Fan header.

This isn't unique to the Aquaero 6 XT either, it's an issue anywhere you have multiple FAM RPM signals going to the same Fan Header. Ended up in an argument with a Youtuber who I saw this issue on his Fan Controller in a video he posted and when I pointed it out he completely lost his **** and said he was an 'expert'. :D:p:D:p

LOL! Yep, this has sorted it! :)

Soldato
Expert: in the field of computing (probably anything technical and maybe anything) a title claimed by someone who doesn't yet know enough to appreciate how much they don't know.

Rasphelt: set your fan as PWM controlled for four pin fans. Add a Controller and choose fixed value (not set point ) and assign your fan header as the output. This will give you a slider that you can control the fan with.
Max and minimum speeds sn be set on the fan page along with start boost if you need it.
Later you can change to a curve controller if you need to vary the speed based on the value of something else - usually a temperature.

Associate
Expert: in the field of computing (probably anything technical and maybe anything) a title claimed by someone who doesn't yet know enough to appreciate how much they don't know.

Rasphelt: set your fan as PWM controlled for four pin fans. Add a Controller and choose fixed value (not set point ) and assign your fan header as the output. This will give you a slider that you can control the fan with.
Max and minimum speeds sn be set on the fan page along with start boost if you need it.
Later you can change to a curve controller if you need to vary the speed based on the value of something else - usually a temperature.

Couldn't agree more Cenedd; having worked in technical IT roles at all levels for all my adult life, I find that there is something I don't know every day. A self proclaimed expert is often merely just a person who doesn't look hard enough to find the things they don't know! :D

Thanks for the crash course, Aquaero setup was the thing I didn't know today! ;)

Thanks again dude, very much appreciated! :) :)

Soldato
No problem. You can enjoy making pretty graphs with Aquasuite. I've got some that are GPU temp (line chart with filled under) with GPU load overlaid (line chart with no under-fill and transparent background) and GPU temp with GPU load overlaid. You can use something like HWInfo to provide the data for these.

Associate
Sorry if this has been mentioned before I'm on my phone and don't want to read all the thread .I'm in the process of having my pump (EK-dual DDC 3.2 ) changed by EK for the Dual Revo D5 pump , I have the 6 XT and was asking how I can put the Dual D5 into the PWM header on the controller or do I still need to put it into the fan header still and control the speed myself manually .
I'm also thinking of getting a Barrow flow meter with sensor can this also be put into the A6XT ?

Thanks

Last edited:
Soldato
You should be able to put a PWM D5 directly on an Aquaero header - all four wires to provide power, control and monitoring. There have been reports of D5s not implementing PWM properly and needing a resistor adding somewhere but I believe that the new EK D5s (as well as Aqua Computers') come pre-fixed.

The flow sensor depends what it outputs. It could be pulses per litre and be compatible with the flow sensor header (once you know how many pulses to set it to) or it could be an rpm fan header.

Associate
You should be able to put a PWM D5 directly on an Aquaero header - all four wires to provide power, control and monitoring. There have been reports of D5s not implementing PWM properly and needing a resistor adding somewhere but I believe that the new EK D5s (as well as Aqua Computers') come pre-fixed.

The flow sensor depends what it outputs. It could be pulses per litre and be compatible with the flow sensor header (once you know how many pulses to set it to) or it could be an rpm fan header.

it an RPM signal for the Flow meter , i might not bother with the flow meter as ive now ordered 2 litres of Meyhems Aurora 2 red from here and that will act as my flow and can see it through the fluid ..its an idea i guess .

will look into the D5 into the PWM on the fan controller . I ive also upgraded the fans from normal riing 12 REDs to Riing 12 RGB PWM i will have eventually 9 of them .

Last edited:
Soldato
You're aware that Aurora is a short-term coolant for show use only, right? I think long term it can damage the impeller in your pump and generally settle.

You could certainly plug it into a fan header and it would give.you at.least an indication of flowing or not. It might be possible to plug it into the flow header I'm not sure.

Associate
You're aware that Aurora is a short-term coolant for show use only, right? I think long term it can damage the impeller in your pump and generally settle.

You could certainly plug it into a fan header and it would give.you at.least an indication of flowing or not. It might be possible to plug it into the flow header I'm not sure.

Hi

I gathered that it's not a coolant for long usage . I use my PC about twice a week with about 5 hours in total . I flush my system every 4 months . I do/have a powerful pump ( replacement ) . I may cancel and change to a pastel red if need be and will decide in next few hours as I'm in 2 minds to either get another 980ti or wait for the 1080ti to be released by inwasnhiping to use the 980tis for about 3 years and then switch to Volta (skip a gen) . Will get the flow meter and use a fan header on the controller and control using the RPMs . Just don't want to go through what I have done though with a failed pump and system getting so hot I couldn't touch it and if I and the flow meter I would have known and be controller would have started bleeping . Just a warning thing I need that's all with flow meter . And thanks for the heads on the coolant I will think about changing it . Would look smart though but even though I'm putting a second drain on the top rad (hardest part to drain) it's still a pain to bleed and drain my system and being a 900D its not light . Thanks

Soldato
Ok, some more detailed info on the flow sensor is now forthcoming :D
The Barrow sensor seems to be a visual sensor (a spinner) but with a 3-pin output on the back intended to be plugged into a fan header to monitor rpm. This implies 12V supplied to the sensor since fan headers supply 12V.
You could plug this into an Aquaero fan header if you have one spare and use it to just monitor that there is flow (don't assign a controller as you don't want to reduce the voltage). You could assign an alarm to it as it is possible to trigger an alarm when a fan doesn't spin - it would have to be a complete stop though as the only option is "no rpm signal for x seconds".
You could draw a chart of the flow/rpm and potentially label the axis differently if you can work out the correct flow from the rpm values. You'd have to do this by drawing one chart (with transparent reading) over the top of another chart (with no axes and visible line)

The flow sensor header itself seems to be essentially a 5V fan header. Info from Martin's Liquid Lab
If you really wanted to I guess you could do your own custom wiring in a similar way to Martin so that you take 12V from a molex plug to power the flow sensor and the ground and tacho output back to the Aquaero flow header - just don't connect the 12V to the Aquaero!

Soldato
Hi,

I'm interested in the Aquaero 5 LT - can software sensor information be monitored (e.g. CPU/GPU temperatures), as well as adjust a fan curve based on my motherboard CPU header?

I'm planning on having a pump plugged into the CPU header on the motherboard PWM controlled, with the rad fans off the PWM header on the Aquaero unit. But would like to be able to control both PWM's via Aquasuite.

Soldato
Sort of but probably not in the way you'd want. You can set up up software temperature sensors and make fan speed decisions based on that. For example fan speed by CPU temp (not that it's a great idea as it's too changeable). To do that you need something like HWInfo, Aida or Open Hardware Info. It only reads information and is temperatures only - so you can't set fan speeds that way.

You can pull information for the charts and graphs in the same way. I currently pull the GPU temp and load as well as the CPU temp and load this way. I suspect you can also pull fan info but I have all my motherboard fan headers disabled - nothing connected to them - so I can't check. It does let me pull info on my UPS state though so I would have thought fan speed would be an option. You can't really do much more than graph it though.

Rad fans off the Aquaero's PWM header not a problem.

If you want more PWM headers, you could go Aquaero 6. I would assume the reason you're looking at is cost but on the off-chance that it's a space/mounting consideration, you can take the screen off a 6 - obviously more money though. You can also get PowerAdjust's but they are voltage control only not PWM but handle about 30W so you can attach a pump. The standard one is fairly cheap and can be controlled by the Aquaero...if that helps.

Soldato
Thanks for the detailed reply, the only reason I'd want it to be that way is so I could control the pump and rad fans separately via PWM. I might not get a PWM pump anyway, which would make it a moot point.

How many fans could I power off the single PWM header on the unit anyway?

I didn't know you could take the screen off a 6 so thanks, might look into that. Cost is an issue, but would rather get it how I want first time around rather than cheap out on something and have to mess with the loop later on. Tempted by a aquacompter pump too, but not sure if it's worth it.

Soldato
You can run loads of fans of an Aq5 or 6. It would need a PWM splitter or hub to connect them all though and you'd need to make sure that only the tacho (speed sensor) wire is only connected to one fan or you just get a garbage reading. A lot of splitters (both 3-pin voltage controlled and 4-pin PWM) seem to have all connected and need modifying.

If you prefer a volt-controlled pump you can plug it into an Aq6 or a PowerAdjust. The Aq5 has a lower power output so it might work but might get too hot. An 18W DDC or D4 on full is a bit too close for comfort.

I think that the Aqua Computer pumps have a molex for power and an Aquabus connection for control so you can control it from an Aq5 or even by USB without an Aquaero.

You can also split the Aq6 screen and stick it elsewhere (see my log or earlier in this thread) but I'll be honest, making up the cable is a bit of a pain as it means making up 24 individual wires and they're 2mm pitch not the more common 2.54mm (0.1 inch) pitch as used by almost everything else other than the internal USB 3 header.

Soldato
Thanks. Just had a look at your build log - so from the looks of things the back part of the Aq6 just unplugs from the connector for the screen after you undo the screws/nuts etc?

I think I'm erring on the side of an Aq6, but what I may do is plumb in a temperature sensor into the loop when I put it ready, and have all the wiring ready to later add an Aq5/6 once I've got a better idea of how I want to control the pump/fans.

Last edited:
Soldato
You just undo the screws (think it's a 5mm hex nut) and take off the front bezel and touch-screen. This is just a 4 or 5 pin single row connector - just pull gently. Then the next layer is the LCD display which is a 24 pin (2 rows of 12) connector that again just pulls off. The rest is one piece (plus optionally the heatsink - which make it tidier, prettier and offers some protection for the back as well as the obvious).

Fans you want to group by type. Have say three identicall fans on a 360 rad as a group then you can run them off one channel with only one of them reporting back speed and know that the control for all should result in the same speed.

Associate
Hey guys, I want to run 9 Corsair ML fans on my aquaero 5. Would it be possible as I don't quite remember how many pwm connectors there are. I heard that these new fans require pwm connection to run properly.

If I recall i use three of the fan headers. each fan header has an extension which splits to 3 more fans for my rads.

Any suggestions. Or should i hust bite the bullet and get noctua's

Soldato
The Aquaero 5 has four fan headers but only one of them does PWM. An Aquaero 6 has all four headers capable of PWM as well as handling 30W per channel.

You should be able to run 9 identical fans off one PWM header (non identical works but you can't tell how fast some are spinning because you can only monitor one) using a PWM hub but you'd need to make sure that only the tacho (speed sensor) wire is only connected to one fan or you just get a garbage reading. A lot of splitters (both 3-pin voltage controlled and 4-pin PWM) seem to have all connected and need modifying.

Edit: also make sure the total wattage of all fans on the channel doesn't exceed what the Aquaero 5 can handle. It's in the manual but if I remember correctly it's about 20W.

Last edited:
Associate
Hey all,

I've been using a 6 XT and on my new build I've ordered some extra bits, including -

Aquastream XT Ultra (pump)
Aquainlet XT (res.)
Aqua high flow (sensor)

Couple of questions -

-> The pump came with a single 3 pin connector which I'll use in Aquabus mode because I have a flow sensor. Where do I get spare / extension / longer cables from (it's a 900D case)? Are these just standard 3 pin fan type arrangements or does the aquabus need something special in terms of wiring?

-> The Aquainlet XT res. couples directly with the pump, this also has aquabus but no cable. If it's directly attached to the pump does the pump take care of this?

-> Where do I get 2 pin temp cables / extension cable from can't seem to find them scouring the website!

Soldato
2 pin extension cables are available on OCUK. Look for Bitfenix IO extension. They work fine and don't affect the reading much. Only issue is the connection isn't massively secure so you might want to duct tape them :D

Aquabus is either 3-pin or 4-pin. The 4th pin carries power but you don't need it for the pump as it has its own power. The res could be run off 4-pin Aquabus but you may want the USB connection to calibrate it (can't do that over aquabus) and the USB provides power anyway.

3-pin aquabus extension is just a fan extension.
4-pin Aquabus extension is just a PWM fan extension.

If you need more than aquabus device connected and your devices don't have a pass-through, you can get aquabus y-splitters but they're just the same as fan splitters.

Back
Top Bottom