Integrating GPU into existing loop - grateful for check

Associate
Hi,

Going to be integrating single EVGA GTX1080 FE with EKWB block into existing waterloop.

Option 1
Partly for purposes of aesthetics I'd like to set loop as shown below. Note no plugs used on GPU block.

What concerns me is - will I have an issue with GPU cooling and water flow by not plugging two of the 4 ports, as I'm effectively setting up a "pass thru" (??) by piping the flow through GPU block directly to inflow of CPU, then from CPU out to GPU and directly onwards to RAD 480. Will I be preventing flow moving through the GPU block, with effectively any fluid sitting static within the block, by having 2 flows, each using both ports? Hope this makes sense???

NewLoopGPU1_zpsx1rff3n4.jpg

Option 2
I could use plugs so as to use only 2 of the 4 GPU block ports, but I dont think it will look as nice.

NewLoopGPU2_zpssaqhxy7v.jpg

Grateful for advice, thoughts. Thanks very much. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Option 2 is the one I would choose. Running parallel blocks requires a bit of extra research into how restrictive each is as you need to make them as balanced as possible. If one is way more restrictive that the other then it'll get very little flow. Also tube 4 in option 1 would look very out of place and wonky.

Associate
OP
HI Disco,

Thanks for the feedback and thoughts, appreciated.

With regard to option 1 tube 4, within the actual case itself it would come below the GPU and back out behind the motherboard plate before heading up to the RAD 480, out of sight.

Thanks again.

Associate
OP
Anyone had success with CPU and single GPU in parallel loop?

Hi,

Following the post and response, I now understand the difference between serial and parallel loop.

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18742492

For aesthetics purposes I'd like if possible to go with parallel loop between CPU (5920K) and single GPU (GTX1080 FE), as per below. Please note that tubes 1 and 4 will come/go behind motherboard panel. I often see builds with multiple GPU in parallel, but not single GPU and CPU in parallel.

NewLoopGPU1_zpsx1rff3n4.jpg

I understand there can be complications with regard to resistence difference between CPU and GPU block, which might lead to very little flow in one of the blocks? I also have seen some vids on youtube where others report no adverse effect on temps when going parallel.

Anyone tried? Good, same or poor results compared with serial loop?

Thanks very much, appreciate your feedback :)

Associate
OP
@Mods - thanks for moving the "Anyone had success with CPU and single GPU in parallel" query here.

However that subject title was very specific and could be useful/informative to others, unfortunate it's now buried here under a different subject. If you feel the need to actively moderate this a change of title to include "serial vs parallel" could retain the context.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom