8pack Hypercube - build log!!

Associate
Hi guys.

As promised in the 8pack Supernova build log here's the next build log in the 8pack series. And this time it's the baby of the group: the Hypercube!

YXcoE8k.jpg

There's a few things missing from the photo - waiting for the rest of the parts to arrive!

and what's this.. doesn't look flatpack this time…

jyYOMQu.jpg

Associate
OP
Lightnings though. Great clockers(You should know :p). If you want the best but are on a strict budget, it's not a huge sacrifice to make if there's two or three of them.

The customer decided to stick with the original spec 780s - but we bumped them up to lightnings anyway (8pack has a soft spot for the lightning series cards for their OC potential ;)).

Soldato
Lies. 8Pack has no soft spots, he is harder than stone. He's not really an overclocker; computers run faster in his presence because they're trying to get away. :D

Soldato
No not trolling at all? Sorry that you can't clock your lightnings.

Good job they fly at stock :)

They will clock fine I am sure. All mine did ok.

I have one of your old ones (I did post in your sub forum the other day ;))... I haven't tried it in the top slot or clocked on its own so maybe it is a better clocker than my first one. It does have a higher ASIC if that means much.

In sli I can only manage 1200 on the cores with +100mV, best if we don't mention the Elpida VRAM too :D

The first card will do 1400 but iirc it needed over 1.4v and tbh I rather not go down the route of flashing the BIOS' again for a few extra points :)

OcUK Systems
OcUK Staff
My Lightnings are fairly woeful clockers and it doesn't seem uncommon...
Sorry to hear that, I don't know if you are aware of my work history, but due to my time with MSI I've had more experience of Lightning cards than most and in general the GPU overclocking has always been excellent. The cooling potential and power delivery pretty much guaranteed that you could max out the GPU. Unfortunately the same could not be said for the memory, which is affected much less by voltage than quality.

That is, until the latest generation. MSI have realised the error of their ways and now uses better quality memory on the Lightning too.

I think I'm right in saying that 8Pack's holds a lot of Lightning based records at the moment.

Soldato
Sorry to hear that, I don't know if you are aware of my work history, but due to my time with MSI I've had more experience of Lightning cards than most and in general the GPU overclocking has always been excellent. The cooling potential and power delivery pretty much guaranteed that you could max out the GPU. Unfortunately the same could not be said for the memory, which is affected much less by voltage than quality.

That is, until the latest generation. MSI have realised the error of their ways and now uses better quality memory on the Lightning too.

I think I'm right in saying that 8Pack's holds a lot of Lightning based records at the moment.

Hi Scottie... No I didn't know of your background, what would you expect a pair to run at on the core either stock V or the alloted +100mV in AB? Surely more than 1200-literally will not run at 1201MHz...
The memory I can deal with, MSI fluffed it there but the core?! Kind of goes against all of the marketing blurb 'military grade components + designed for maximum OC' etc etc

Sorry to sound pejorative... That's not the case as these cards will sit at stock anyway for 99% of the time for gaming @1440 and perform faultlessly :)
But seeing as temps are great (both under water) it'd be nice to see just how far they could be pushed in fire strike etc :)

Also, if you'd rather take this to another thread just say so :)

Back
Top Bottom