Disposable BBQ who sell the cheapest/best ?

Soldato
I have a folding bbq I use if i'm driving somewhere, much better than any disposable.

However if i'm walking to the bbq site (need something lighter) I buy the homebase party sized one. It's about 7 quid but it burns a lot lot longer than the cheap supermarket ones do, you get about an hour and a half cooking time from it after it's heated up. I find you only get about 20-30 minutes from the cheap oenes.

Soldato
DO NOT get the cheapest you can find.

The poundland ones are incredibly difficult to light without lighting fuel, despite the fact that they have the lighting paper in them. They really are of awesomly poor quality,
Same as the bog standard ones, the charcoal goes out quickly and doesn;t retain much heat.

Caporegime
Also the best way to light them is to take off the mesh and stick the paper under the charcoal, who's stupid idea was it to put paper on top... :rolleyes:

Soldato
Also the best way to light them is to take off the mesh and stick the paper under the charcoal, who's stupid idea was it to put paper on top... :rolleyes:

Thats a terrible idea, the paper doesn't light properly, usually chokes and dies when you do that. The paper won't burn underneath the coals easily either.
On top lights evenly, the coals burn evenly and heat up much quicker. That is the way they're designed to be lit and that is the best way to do it.

Caporegime
Thats a terrible idea, the paper doesn't light properly, usually chokes and dies when you do that. The paper won't burn underneath the coals easily either.
On top lights evenly, the coals burn evenly and heat up much quicker. That is the way they're designed to be lit and that is the best way to do it.

Because heat and flames sink right?

It lights the coals far easier and doesn''t get choked. I used to have terrible trouble lighting the damn things before I started doing that. The paper would light and then go out before the coals lit.

Soldato
Because heat and flames sink right?

It lights the coals far easier and doesn''t get choked. I used to have terrible trouble lighting the damn things before I started doing that. The paper would light and then go out before the coals lit.

You're buying the wrong bbqs then, every time i've done it top it's worked out great.
I was camping with a load of lads on friday. They had some disposables, one put the sheet underneath, it took like 20 minutes to even light the sheet properly. I left the grill on, lit the top sheet, and the coals went nicely.

It's not just a piece of paper, it's designed so that the lighting fluid contained in the paper falls and goes underneath the coals and lights them.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Quite possibly, most of the disposables are rubbish.

To clarify I don't stick all of the coals on top, usually half and half and I always find that the easiest and best way of doing it.

Associate
Many years ago i worked at a B&Q store and a lady returned a disposable BBQ because 'when she opened it there where no chicken fillets in the box'. The picture on the lid showed the lit BBQ with chicken breasts sizzling away. Thick or what but she got her money back. Another strange thing that got returned was a 5 litre tin of emulsion which when opened was full of spaghetti in tomato sauce apparently somebody bought it used the paint then filled it with the spaghetti and returned for a refund. The tin looked un-opened so it went back on the shelf for the unlucky person to buy it :)

Suspended
What a pathetic thread.

Please learn to make a decision yourself on a use once item such as this.

By the time you have travelled to get the cheapest one, you might have spent more in travel costs.

Just pick some up next time you do your groceries.

Well you don't want informed debate on serious issues, so this is what you're left with. Perhaps that'll teach you not to be such a **** in other people's threads :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom