Turbocharging the Honda CRX

Soldato
My house mate has just picked up a CRX for a track car. The 1.6 engine puts out a healthy 130bhp but we feel it could use more for a track weapon.

We could either convert over to a 1.8 VTEC for around 180bhp or turbocharge the existing one.

My mate thinks you can buy kits that will fit and it will just work, however I glanced at the spec list and I didn't see anything about replacement engine management. Surely something would be required which would not cut the engine as soon as the turbo started producing positive pressure?

Any idea's?

Cheers :D

Caporegime
You definately need management. The Ecu throws a code as soon as it detects boost. Standard Map sensor will go up to 11psi and with a chipped ecu you can run up to this much boost

My cousins 1.6 Honda engined Rover Coupe fitted with a T25 turbo made 185bhp /155lb.ft before it got written off.

Soldato
im guessing its not the B16? are the regular ones D series engines?

the yanks prob have a wealth of info about it - but I would be tempted to drop a B18C into it and an LSD gearbox :)

Soldato
From what i've heard (may be wrong) it probably is best to swap to a B18C4 AND boost it. It reputably responds the best to boost out of the B series engines due to lower compression than the others. Also the bent long second gear will probably assist traction in this case.

EDIT : Argh Managed to delete my original post whilst trying to quote it. So it may not all be above

Last edited:
Soldato
i read your statement thanks,

but they are all so close to one another to make not that much of a difference.

If its just gonna be a track car, strip it to nothing and leave it at that.

Caporegime
eidolon said:
Now I'm really confused.
Is Jonny your brother and do you also have a cousin who turbo'd this VTEC engine too? :confused: :confused:

My bro had a coupe with VTEC B16. My cousin had the 1.6 DOHC non-Vtec engine in his coupe - same as the CRX mentioned, hence why I posted about it.

The B16 Vtec is nothing like the D16 Non vtec.

Caporegime
eidolon said:
aha, now I see.

You can see why I was confused though, not many people have 2 turbocharged Honda engine'd Rovers in their family!

Unfortunately both didn't exist at the same time and are now both in car heaven :(

180bhp and 5psi of boost are about your limit on stock engine. ARP head studs help stop the head lifting.

Mic

Mic

Soldato
No point really to be honest.
If your gonna use it as a track car theres no point paying thousands(yes many many thousands) to get a properly running CRX Turbo.

Strip everything out of it and it should weigh 800kg, maybe less. I dont think iv seen a b18 go into a d16 car. Iv seen b16s go into d16 cars however.
Its not worth it unless hes unto track racing seriously. As if hes not it will all be a huge waste of money.

Caporegime
Mic said:
No point really to be honest.
If your gonna use it as a track car theres no point paying thousands(yes many many thousands) to get a properly running CRX Turbo.
Won't even cost £400 if you can do it yourself.

Just need to buy a manifold, turbo and intercooler really

Caporegime
merlin said:
Agreed, strip it, sort the handling for the track and get on with it.
Prob best really.

A guy on CRX forums had a stripped white CRX with a bit of Nitrous. Was a right weapon and he could drive. Destroyed most things on a track

Mic

Mic

Soldato
Simon said:
Won't even cost £400 if you can do it yourself.

Just need to buy a manifold, turbo and intercooler really
What about the internals?
Would he be able to get enough boost on an non-uprated internals to compete with a vtec crx?

Back
Top Bottom