Red Bull Ring being expanded?

Caporegime
So whats going on here then....?

Lots of work that looks like its linking the old west loop back into the track. But nothing official from anyone about why. I can't find any strong information on what this could be for, or FIA plans to use or even certify it?

Perhaps they are hoping to get the work done and then prove that its good enough, rather than try and get FIA approval before hand?

Caporegime
OP
It has whiffs of Tilke about it, with Micky Mouse chicanes ruining it.

Seems like a lot of effort to go to with no plans to race on it? And if its just for experience days and media filming, why not just use the existing track?

It's all a bit of a mystery.

Soldato
Maybe it's a Sith training ground for the Emperor's agents of the dark side?

Sorry, I meant a Red Bull Drivers academy for Marko's protégés.

Soldato
I like the look of the new layout, although I would hope they would make it a choice of S-bend or chicane with the ability of overtaking manoeuvres like those at the Nurburgring GP circuit and not like a WTCC follow the leader track.

Caporegime
OP
I like the look of the new layout, although I would hope they would make it a choice of S-bend or chicane with the ability of overtaking manoeuvres like those at the Nurburgring GP circuit and not like a WTCC follow the leader track.

At the end of the main straight? The images make it look like there will be a tight chicane followed by sweeping through the old chicane. I imagine the old chicane will be easily flat out for F1 given the downforce and the slow entry speed having just negotiated the first tight chicane.

The long right hander at the top looks like it could be a decent challenge at speed, but that next chicane up the top of the track looks proper Micky Mouse, with the kink before it forcing everyone single file and removing any chance of overtaking.

I still haven't seen anywhere reporting any plans to race on this new layout.

Soldato
I should have added more. The first chicane might egg a few into a kamikaze move, but the upper chicane if designed right - rather than being a joke like you've described it :p - could pose as an interesting place for things like GT3/WTCC.

Caporegime
OP
Ah ok, yeah I see your point.

That kink before it might still ruin it though. It looks like its going to be a really high speed jink before then jumping on the brakes for the chicane, which will force people onto one line and remove the ability to get up alongside. Sort of like the corner that enters into the complex at Hockenheim. Theres only likely to be one line through there.

I think it would be better being a more gradual sweeping curve into the chicane. A long, fast, 'not quite flat out' corner with a decent straight after it into a tight corner is good for generating overtaking.

Back
Top Bottom