New Formula 1 2017 Aero Rules!

Caporegime
OP
Yeah moving from 100kg to 105kg is a pointless token move. Especially as like you say, they don't put all 100kg in them most of the time anyway.

Associate
So an increase in downforce and wider cars is the future of this engineering program we call F1. No doubt this will make overtaking virtually impossible. I think what needs to be done to really make a mess of what is meant to be the pinnacle of motorsports (haven't heard that one in a while) is hopefully Ferrari will have a huge step forward in there engine program which will provide them with a major advantage. Slap a freeze on engine development for say 3 years. This should provide the opportunity for Ferrari to be back to winning ways and for Seb to take another 4 championships.

Man of Honour
This is what happens when motorsport is owned and run by committee and the decisions of people worried that if manufacturers leave they will lose their honey pot. Having grown up with racing in the 70's and for me peaking on the 80's I feel sorry for the modern spectator. Not only do you get homogenised cars and boring racing, you get to watch it from 3000 yards back from the track edge and can't go an chat with people and look around the cars unless you work for JP Morgan. There were often crap races back then, but the cars were often brutal and great to just watch and hear and mostly that has gone today.

Caporegime
OP
I fear your taring the whole of Motorsport with a single F1 brush there.

Last time I went to some Motorsport I was 2m from the track edge, watching brilliant racing in a field of 10+ different manufacturers with very different ways of going racing (BTCC at Brands).

My dads off to an event this weekend where looking around the cars and chatting with the drivers is the main reason you go (British Hillclimb at Gurston Down).

I'm thinking of heading to watch some proper brutal racing tomorrow (Rallycross at Lydden Hill).

Claiming that modern Motorsport is rubbish because F1 is detached from fans is as bad as those people who dismiss a whole race as being boring having seen nothing more than who won it.

Man of Honour
I fear your taring the whole of Motorsport with a single F1 brush there.

Last time I went to some Motorsport I was 2m from the track edge, watching brilliant racing in a field of 10+ different manufacturers with very different ways of going racing (BTCC at Brands).

My dads off to an event this weekend where looking around the cars and chatting with the drivers is the main reason you go (British Hillclimb at Gurston Down).

I'm thinking of heading to watch some proper brutal racing tomorrow (Rallycross at Lydden Hill).

Claiming that modern Motorsport is rubbish because F1 is detached from fans is as bad as those people who dismiss a whole race as being boring having seen nothing more than who won it.

I went to Silverstone, my former fave last year. It was the historic festival and bar a couple of locations it was terrible. Sadly this is common with all F1 tracks. I've been to several modern BTCC events (Donignton, Oulton, Snetterton, Brands) more for the Supercup and find the cars boring, really boring. The race makes good TV, but being there I find it a procession in the main. I find GP2/3 boring but to be fair I have found most single seater racing boring even back in the day, though F2 had some good racing before they killed it. DTM got crap when they made it single seaters with roofs though the cars were still spectacular. I have never got that excited at one make races but go to any modern BTCC event and it's the same racing, same cars, same stuff and it was not always like that. No special saloons, no F2 or F300, no Sports cars, nothing but manufacturer backed 1 makes rubbish.

If all you have known is this then fine, it's all you know, but I have known better. I go to club racing too, I've competed in it and that's often better but still I find older racing better because the cars are different, sound and look good and move around a lot more and that for me is a better watch. I've never been an F1 fan, always preferred ETCC and Group 5/6/C and always preferred CanAm and Supersports (917/512/312) historic racing. For me it's just better.

Caporegime
OP
Then you issue is your own opinion.

I've been to plenty of historic racing events recently to, at Brands, Thruxton, Combe and Silverstone. Perhaps seek out what you enjoy rather than trying too hard to complain about what you don't?

Man of Honour
Then you issue is your own opinion.

I've been to plenty of historic racing events recently to, at Brands, Thruxton, Combe and Silverstone. Perhaps seek out what you enjoy rather than trying too hard to complain about what you don't?

Why so angry? It's all opinion, you seem to think yours is more worthy based on this thread. Do you actually disagree with my premise about modern F1 or are you just angry I chose to call modern motorsport homogenised and boring which it is to me any many people like me, i.e. those who have experienced something else not just this?

Caporegime
OP
I'm not angry at all? Sorry if it came across like that.

I'm saying there's plenty of Motorsport going on of all shapes and sizes. You tarred it all with the F1 sterile brush and I disagreed with that (that all Motorsport is like that, not that F1 is sterile and detached, because it is). You then listed a long list of modern events you keep going to even though you find them all dull, so I suggested you go to things you like instead, as there's still plenty out there.

If you want to get picky about opinions being worthy I could pull you up on why you think yours is more valid simply because your old?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I'm not angry at all? Sorry if it came across like that.

I'm saying there's plenty of Motorsport going on of all shapes and sizes. You tarred it all with the F1 sterile brush and I disagreed with that. You then listed a long list of modern events you keep going to even though you find them all dull, so I suggested you go to things you like instead, as there's still plenty out there.

If you want to get picky about opinions being worthy I could pull you up on why you think yours is more valid simply because your old?

Well when my argument is predicated on being there at the trackside in the 70/80's I guess it is fairly important. I don't think my age adds anything to understanding modern motorsport, it doesn't, but when it comes to context and comparison I have that to fall back on, when most on this forum won't. That's all.

I don't go to anywhere near the amount of racing I used to it must be said, I was there at trackside pretty much every weekend from the late 70's till the mid 80's and often from mid 80's to mid 90's but these days I pop along to mostly older stuff or stuff where friends are racing but that includes BTCC, Supercup, WEC and historic stuff like Goodwood and such like so I actually do search out stuff I enjoy but doesn't change the basis of my argument that compared to olden days, it's different and for me has lost something BECAUSE I knew it when it was more exciting in the main....though never perfect. I have lost track of the events I turned up to watch driver/car to find it blow up or crash 3 laps in.

Caporegime
OP
I still stand by my point that your trying quite hard to deliberately complain about things.

If you like variety of cars, go to events that have them. If you like close racing, as much as you might not like them, single make series often produce the best.

Blanket stating that all modern racing is crap shows a deliberate effort to ignore the variety out there which is unfair, and the "it was better in my day" stance is very Grumpy Old Man.

As I said before, seek out the stuff you like. I went to Bands for he Historic racing and saw a clasic tin tops race with about 30+ cars, where every car was different. It was utterly fantastic and the lead changed multiple times per lap due to them being totally different. I think it was an F1 race weekend too, but that was just put on record.

But back on topic, F1 next year is going to be utterly crap. Larger heavier cars that are impossible to follow, totally dominated by aero and ugly as hell.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom