A Question About Helicopters at the British Grand Prix

Soldato
Just watching the British Grand Prix and the helicopters landing at the circuit. I just wondered if they would typically have a "ground controller" at these events to co-ordinate the landings, or do they just leave it to the pilots?

Soldato
Yes they do. The heliport at Silverstone is operated by Heli Air who amongst others operate shuttles to and from the circuit.

On raceday Silverstone is the busiest airport in the UK by number of movements.

They have their own ATC and visiting pilots used to have to practice the approach and landing in a number of weeks or months of the grand prix in order to be certified to do it on the day, not sure if that's still the case.

Associate
Just watching the British Grand Prix and the helicopters landing at the circuit. I just wondered if they would typically have a "ground controller" at these events to co-ordinate the landings, or do they just leave it to the pilots?

You thinking of taking your own private helicopter in ? :D

Caporegime
They have their own ATC and visiting pilots used to have to practice the approach and landing in a number of weeks or months of the grand prix in order to be certified to do it on the day, not sure if that's still the case.

I'd imagine so as the reccent changes/developments at the track have narrowed and shortended the area they have available to fly into/take off from.

They used to have a runway to follow, now they have a painted set of markings on grass that crosses an access road and the aproach is directly over a grandstand.

Back
Top Bottom