British Grand Prix 2016, Silverstone - Race 10/21

Man of Honour
Y35Yj8q.png

Silverstone

Like so many of England's racing circuits, Silverstone started life as an aerodrome. When the Second World War ended in 1945, England's other two circuits, Donington Park and the legendary Brooklands, had fallen into disrepair. And so it was that the outer taxiways and interconnecting runways of Silverstone became adopted by the Royal Automobile Club as the home for the British Grand Prix in 1948. The circuit was fast and challenging and in 1949 the shape was formed that remains the basis of the track to this day.

When the Formula One World Championship was incepted in 1950, Silverstone held the very first round, won by Guiseppe Farina in an Alfa Romeo. In 1951 the British Racing Drivers' Club (BRDC) was handed the lease by the RAC, and huge modifications were made. The pits were moved to the straight between Woodcote and Copse, from the Farm straight where they had originally been, and a short circuit was built within the larger circuit, cutting from Becketts corner to Woodcote.

From 1955 the British Grand Prix swapped venues between Aintree and Silverstone, but with the advent of the 1960s, Aintree fell out of favour and the race was switched between Silverstone and Brands Hatch.

In 1971 the British Racing Drivers' Club (BRDC) bought the entire 720 acre plot on which Silverstone sits and went about redeveloping the track. New pits were built and a chicane was erected at Woodcote which provided close finishes and great overtaking opportunities.

In 1987, with speeds reaching astounding levels, a corner was built before Woodcote, and in 1992 a new complex of corners was created between Farm and Woodcote. And in recent years various upgrades have been made to the track's facilities. A racing school now exists at the circuit and with government funding a new bypass has been built, greatly improving access to the once notoriously out-of-the-way venue.

In 2010 came another major change to the circuit's Formula One layout, designed to further improve the venue for spectators and provide an even greater driver challenge. The new infield layout juts right at the reworked Abbey bend before heading into the new Arena complex of turns. This takes drivers on to the main straight of Silverstone’s National circuit, before rejoining the previous Grand Prix layout at Brooklands.

TV Times

Sky:
Isq4SLm.png

C4:
0m0aa2F.png

Track Diagram & Information

lWSDV8i.png

Weather Forecast

NyjSTQf.png

2015 Onboard Lap

http://www.formula1.com/en/video/2015/7/Onboard_pole_position_lap_-_Britain.html

2015 Race Edit

http://www.formula1.com/en/video/2015/7/Race_edit__Britain_'15.html

Tyre Set Selections Per Driver - Great Britain

CmB9vafWAAEG-5F.jpg

Great Britain Preview Quotes

http://www.formula1.com/en/latest/headlines/2016/7/great-britain-preview-quotes.html

WDC Standings

31eX037.png

Constructors' Championship Standings

fjF67u0.png

Pole Positions & Winners Per Grand Prix
tql15MU.png

Practice 1

0kVdpcN.png

Practice 2

ELgLT8w.png

Practice 3

JXOvHtE.png

Qualifying

4YK7cCK.png

Race

TbmY2ke.png

Last edited:
Soldato
Ideally we need Rosberg to lunch an engine. Preferably his newest one.

To be honest we were able to talk about the last race for a whole week after so i doubt we'll get that twice in a row... ;)

Man of Honour
Ideally we need Rosberg to lunch an engine. Preferably his newest one.

To be honest we were able to talk about the last race for a whole week after so i doubt we'll get that twice in a row... ;)

Definitely. Rosberg having 4 engines in his quota still and Hamilton only one is not great. Rosberg could end up winning this championship solely on the fact that Hamilton will have to eat some -10 place penalties simply due to bad luck.

Still, a long way to go in this season. Anything can happen in F1 etc. A good win here would go a long way to helping Lewis.

Soldato
Definitely. Rosberg having 4 engines in his quota still and Hamilton only one is not great. Rosberg could end up winning this championship solely on the fact that Hamilton will have to eat some -10 place penalties simply due to bad luck.

Still, a long way to go in this season. Anything can happen in F1 etc. A good win here would go a long way to helping Lewis.

Could he decide to take a new engine if he sees for example Rosberg have a terrible quali one weekend? Or does it have to be a bit more in advance than that? Because hes the one he wants to minimise points losses against.

Man of Honour
Could he decide to take a new engine if he sees for example Rosberg have a terrible quali one weekend? Or does it have to be a bit more in advance than that? Because hes the one he wants to minimise points losses against.

I'd imagine they can call for a new engine at any time, simply because you can't say in advance when one will blow up.

Soldato
Mercedes have just issued a press release saying that there are no team orders but that the rules of engagement have been strengthened.

Actually, they do cite team orders remain a last resort, so that also seems like a back track from mooted fines and suspensions.

So, basically nothing has happened, or what has happened isn't being made public. Doubtless different versions will slowly leak over the next few weeks.

Soldato
The car parks on Friday will be... interesting.

Don't, I'm having flashbacks :(

I remember 2012 being a good year. :D The best part was my mate trying to push my C4 out the field while i attempted my best off road driving. It went well in the end/once we got to the metal track things they'd laid down. :cool: In hindsight i should've just left the POS there. :p

We'd turned up with no wellies, waterproofs and a terrible terrible tent(Basically poorly prepared all round) so left half way through the day on the Friday to go and source these items. Somehow we managed to be let back in past all the waiting traffic/jams and got an awesome spot right at the "closed until the end of the weekend" exit. My first camping experience at Silverstone and although it started badly finished well. Good times.:cool:

However i do recall hearing lots of stuck car revving pretty much from Sunday afternoon to PM with the occasional tractor noise/cheering thrown in for good measure as we packed up. (From the field we had managed to leave!)

Back
Top Bottom