Votes: 24 28.2%

Votes: 4 4.7%

Votes: 1 1.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Man of Honour
0gKgrbT.png

Spa-Francorchamps

Belgium's Spa-Francorchamps circuit is among the most historic on the Formula One calendar, having hosted a (non-championship) Grand Prix as long ago as 1924, and remains one of the most popular venues with drivers and fans alike.

Run on narrow public roads, the original Spa layout was an amazing 14.9 kilometres long and notoriously dangerous. The lap distance was reduced slightly over the years, with some corners eased, but when the 'old' circuit staged its final Grand Prix in 1970 it still measured just over 14 kilometres and remained staggeringly quick - Chris Amon set that year's fastest lap at an average speed of just under 245 km/h.

Spa did not return to the calendar until 1983 and then in drastically revised form, with lap distance cut to just under seven kilometres. Somehow, though, the circuit's magic was retained. Around two thirds of the lap used the original layout and the legendary Eau Rouge corner remained intact. Only the new Bus Stop chicane on the run down to La Source drew criticism.

More than twenty years on Spa remains the longest circuit on the calendar. Its mix of long straights and challenging fast corners, coupled with its picturesque setting, means that most drivers still rank it among their favourite tracks.

The weather is still notoriously changeable (it can often be simultaneously raining on one part of the track and dry on another) and Eau Rouge, with its high speed and sudden elevation change, maintains its reputation as one of Formula One racing's most technically demanding corners.

Such is the challenge of Spa that only the truly great drivers can really claim to have mastered it. In fact just six men have won the race more than twice - Juan Manuel Fangio (three times), Damon Hill (three times), Kimi Raikkonen (four times), Jim Clark (four times), Ayrton Senna (five times) and Michael Schumacher (six times).

TV Times

Sky:
pBmmjie.png

C4:
4hpe5Qs.png

Track Diagram & Information

Cg3sOir.png

Weather Forecast

EhM1mIi.png

2015 Onboard Lap

https://www.formula1.com/en/video/2015/8/Onboard_pole_position_lap_-_Belgium.html

2015 Race Edit

https://www.formula1.com/en/video/2015/8/Race_edit__Belgium_'15.html

Tyre Set Selections Per Driver - Belgium

2016tyresetsbelgium.jpg

Belgium Preview Quotes

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/headlines/2016/8/belgium-preview-quotes.html

WDC Standings

I3zEwB6.png

Constructors' Championship Standings

KjVLsO8.png

Practice 1

JeExhcY.png

Practice 2

lsibiCL.png

Practice 3

i4N6HUh.png

Qualifying

Px8c2r9.png

Race

j1evQOO.png

Last edited:

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

For this race on, I'll add a poll after the race so we can "rate the race".

Man of Honour
I still remember my first Spa race. Hammered it down on the Friday, and one of the vendors had brollies and was selling loads. Saturday, bright sun, mid 20°C lovely... same chap... same products... selling them as sunshades. Still selling loads. :D

Soldato
I wonder if Hamilton having an extra set of softs over Rosberg will come into play at all.

Plus if he's taking a penalty anyway, is he really going to bother pushing and ruining his other tyres in qualifying? Could be starting the race with many fresh tyres and a nice new engine! :)

Caporegime
Plus if he's taking a penalty anyway, is he really going to bother pushing and ruining his other tyres in qualifying? Could be starting the race with many fresh tyres and a nice new engine! :)

I thought penalties knocked onto next race of you didn't qualify high? Or did that end?

Still be away for this one probably. Its a shame they put the best race track on over the bank holiday!

Soldato
Lewis going to take his engine penalty here or Monza then?

I think I read that Hamilton preferred that it be at Monza

EDIT: http://www.planetf1.com/news/hamilton-likely-to-take-penalty-at-monza/

Can he take two at one event? Obviously he'd be starting at the back but if he's going to need two he might as well get them over and done with at a track where you can overtake and then hopefully no more penalties.

He can and that is the intention I believe. Apparently the penalty doesn't carry over and you can use previously used engine components, so he will take 2 new components/units.

I'm not sure whether he's going for two completely new power units, or just the components he is at the limit for (Turbocharger and MGU-H both currently at 5 used)

EDIT: http://formula1insider78.blogspot.ie/p/blog-page_62.html

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom