Benefits of a sound card?

Soldato
I've always wondered why people spend so much money on sound cards. What is the real benefit of them?

Would you recommend getting one? I have steel series Siberia V2 headphones and a set of microlab M-200 speakers. Do they make that much of difference.

Man of Honour
Usually they are a bit more removed physically from or have better shielding/filtering for RF/EMI noise (hence lower distortion/higher quality sound) and for gaming purposes can have higher performance than external solutions (though less of an advantage in this day and age).

Back in the day a soundcard used to be an advantage for gaming due to support for hardware/enhanced features but Windows 7 put paid to that.

One of the big differences I find - the motherboard audio/mainstream USB DACs tend to use "workhorse" op amps and generic capacitors (often with electrolytics in the audio path) and just sound sterile and nothing like as "alive" as a good soundcard or higher end DAC.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yea.

A soundcard would make quite a bit of different, particular with better DAC and components than onboard audio, even a mid-range £50 soundcard would make a huge difference.

Not only that, it gives you virtual surround functions and features as well such as Dolby Headphone (virtual surround sound for your stereo headphone), Dolby Virtual Speakers (virtual 5.1 Dolby Pro Logic II through your 2.0 speakers).

Soldato
Sound cards can and do make a difference, but not everyone finds this though, so it's impossible to know whether it will be worth it to you until you try one. Ultimately, a lot of it does depend on what you are connecting to it.

Sound quality is really about the headphones and speakers. Yes, a decent sound card can make a difference, but never as much as better headphones and speakers. People who might spent a lot on a sound card have likely spend a fair amount on the headphones and/or speakers as well. There wouldn't be any point in buying the most expensive sound card for a relatively cheap headset/headphones or speakers; it wouldn't make half as much difference as spending that money on better speakers/headphones instead.

A Xonar DX or Soundblaster Z, is a good place to start for the majority of PC speakers and headsets. There's also the Xonar DGX, for someone who isn't sure and just wants to 'dip their toe in the water' so to speak, without committing too much money.

Soldato
I think it depends on the individual, room acoustics, air pressure and even the condition of your ears and what they think sounds best to them?, i'm not an audiophile per se and for me personally it can be somewhat placebo. The only real benefit from my soundcards used over the years that actually made a difference was becuase of the ASIO drivers they use with midi music hardware like a synth or midi controller, when composing or banging out a tune there is nothing worse than delay/latency when you hit the keys and the sound is delayed, it can be annoying when you're out of rhythm and timing.

Soldato
Night & day compared to "good" on-board.

Heck, the Asus STX is a different league compared to their mid range models.

Good for gaming tooTalon but I use it for music and the difference is "AMAGAD, tunes sound so much better!"

Soldato
I've always wondered why people spend so much money on sound cards. What is the real benefit of them?

Would you recommend getting one? I have steel series Siberia V2 headphones and a set of microlab M-200 speakers. Do they make that much of difference.

Yeah the soundblaster Z is what I was looking at. Might have to try one sometime soon then. Thanks guys. :)

Having had the ZX which is just the Z but with a breakout box I honestly would avoid it, I took it back within 24 hours and I'm no audiophile but the quality just wasn't up to standard for me.

Try and step up a little bit higher if funds allow.

To answer your question though, Yes a soundcard will make a lot of difference depending on what you're coming from just don't ask the hardcore audiophiles because they will tell you they're trash and only point you towards an external AMP/DAC :p

Generally everything will just sound better but be warned, Music you listen to might start to sound a bit poop compared to before if it's low quality especially if you have decent headphones as they tend to really emphasize low quality music and make it stand out so you notice it a lot more, Something I've found out just recently :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Having had the ZX which is just the Z but with a breakout box I honestly would avoid it, I took it back within 24 hours and I'm no audiophile but the quality just wasn't up to standard for me.

Try and step up a little bit higher if funds allow.

To answer your question though, Yes a soundcard will make a lot of difference depending on what you're coming from just don't ask the hardcore audiophiles because they will tell you they're trash and only point you towards an external AMP/DAC :p

Generally everything will just sound better but be warned, Music you listen to might start to sound a bit poop compared to before if it's low quality especially if you have decent headphones as they tend to really emphasize low quality music and make it stand out so you notice it a lot more, Something I've found out just recently :D
I gone from Asus Xonar STX II to STX and I didn't really notice much difference, but when I tried my old DX again...I was like...ehhh...nope! lol :p

I was quite happy with my DX back in the days...but once I've been spoiled by STX level soundcard and DacMagic type stereo DAC, I simply just can't go back no more :p

Soldato
I gone from Asus Xonar STX II to STX and I didn't really notice much difference, but when I tried my old DX again...I was like...ehhh...nope! lol :p

I was quite happy with my DX back in the days...but once I've been spoiled by STX level soundcard and DacMagic type stereo DAC, I simply just can't go back no more :p

I went from an STX *borrowed from a friend* to an STXII and did notice the difference, Not huge but to me the difference was there but why would you go from an STX II back down to an STX :confused:

Soldato
Sounds a lot nicer. Love my essense STX II on music mode :). Tried the inbuilt sound card the other day and its terrible (which aint half bad either for an onboard). I just enjoy music far more, i tend to listen to a lot more now as a result. Also is nice on gaming with game mode aswell.

Everything just sounds far more crisp, songs just sound far more refined and precise. How they should sound really if your an audiophile.

I have Beyerdynamic T70's now which I love aswell :).

+ you need a good streaming service aswell. Tidal etc.

Last edited:
Associate
I would say your PC isnt a proper gaming rig without a dedicated soundcard. Ive interested in sound for many years and have built my current system from CD source to speaker costing around £5000 mark now. The thing that I have always thought is that you cannot really imagine how much better sound can be untill you have properly experienced and heard that change. Also the biggest part to better sound should always start with your room acoustics. A £5000 hifi can sound like a £500 one and vs if the room isnt treated properly first.

Soldato
I went from an STX *borrowed from a friend* to an STXII and did notice the difference, Not huge but to me the difference was there but why would you go from an STX II back down to an STX :confused:
I bought the STX II 7.1 (around £180) back then as I had 5.1 setup made up of active speakers (Microlab Solo 7C, Corsair SP2500, Edifier 1600T Plus, but I was later handed down a Yamaha receiver from my old man, and I have moved to proper hifi setup, and I have managed to pick up a 2nd hand STX (bare card) for just £40, so I sold my STX II 7.1 for £150 delivered and delivery costed me £10, so I was manage get £100 back into my pocket in the end.

Yea the STX II is proper better than the STX by a tiny bit, and I'd rather keep the STX + £100 instead of the STX II 7.1.

I've been looking at the Arcam irDAC recently, and I wonder how much of a difference would a £350-£400 ish DAC make compare to the STX lol

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom