Paris with the Sony RX100

Associate
Some recent shots from this beautiful city.

Eiffel Tower at Night by Andrew Young, on Flickr

Locked In by Andrew Young, on Flickr

Arches of Notre Dame by Andrew Young, on Flickr

Saint-Jacques by Andrew Young, on Flickr

Centre Pompidou by Andrew Young, on Flickr

Into the City by Andrew Young, on Flickr

All taken with my new Sony RX100. Spent time with it on purpose to see how I missed the DSLR (which I used in Rome). I do miss the ultra wide angles with the 10-22 on the DSLR but was pleasantly surprised with the results for this tiny camera and was wonderful not having to walk around with a bag and lenses with my at all times. Also meant I could just drop a small joby tripod in my wife's bag (even thought some of the good night shots above were handheld!).

Last edited:
Soldato
Very nice, wish I could do the same with my RX100!
Me too! Nice pics...

Bought a RX100 mk i this week. Never really done any photography before, though I want to try and learn all of the different settings and how to use them and not spend so much time in auto mode.. Was playing around with long exposure shots on a bridge over the M4 earlier - as it's so small though no excuse not to carry it around really when out and about.

Associate
OP
Not sure to be honest. I found the mk3 on offer (£50 off) and it was a replacement for my wife's DSLR that she wasn't using so I could justify it. I think the main differences are:

Better light at the zoom end, f/2.8 vs f/4.9 in the MK1 (but the MK3 sacrificed a bit of range, 70mm vs. 100mm in the MK1).
It's a different sensor and processor.
Electronic viewfinder in the MK3 which is good in bright conditions, although I never found that I couldn't see the LCD is bright light either. I just like to shoot more with the EVF.
Same for in inbuild ND filter, good for using wider apertures (more bokeh) in bright light but I can't say I ever selected it, it's on auto.
LCD folds up 180 degrees so you can shoot selfies, handy for video blogging too.

Bear in mind much of the 'magic' in these photos happened in Lightroom in post :)

Soldato
Really nice photos! Amazing quality for something so small!
I've been tempted to get something a bit more compact myself but barely shoot anything at the mo so can't justify it. Maybe in the future!

Soldato
Nice photo's

But photo number 4(Saint-Jacques) is not working for me it only shows an X and says "This photo is no longer available"..
Edit: it only works if I click on it :confused:

Last edited:
Caporegime
I really like your compositions but beyond the first two I'm not keen on the processing they look a little overcooked to me but that of course maybe your chosen style.

Was just about to say, great photos but have a very processed look to them. Still, they pack a punch and I like them.

Back
Top Bottom