2x480gb or a 960gb ssd?

Associate
HI guys I am planning on get a upgrade on my storage and I don't know what to do I am planning on getting the Kingston HyperX savage ssd but I don't know should I get 2 480 in raid 0 or 1 960.

I am running an i7 3770k on a z77 sabertooth bored

Any ideas

Last edited:
Associate
Those two scenarios aren't really comparable. You said RAID 1, which I assume means you're looking for redundancy? Well, using RAID 1 gives you a single level of redundancy, whereas using a single drive gives you faster speed but no redundancy. Is the data being stored on the drive(s) important?

Associate
Ah, in that case, generally speaking the benefit from striping an SSD isn't really that noticable. You will however be twice as likely to lose all your data (as if either drive dies, everything dies).

I'd recommend the larger drive personally.

Stu

Stu

Soldato
Ah, in that case, generally speaking the benefit from striping an SSD isn't really that noticable. You will however be twice as likely to lose all your data (as if either drive dies, everything dies).

I'd recommend the larger drive personally.

I wonder if the risk really is double... for RAID, when 1 drive dies you lose everything; and for one large drive, when 1 drive dies you lose everything.

I agree that the risk of having 2 drives is probably technically higher, but I wonder if it really is double.

Personally, I advocate the bigger drive so that you save room for another one later if needed.

Don
It's more than double the risk. If the controller throws a wobbly in RAID-0, you lose everything.

RAID-0 isn't worth it with SSDs

If you want/need blistering fast speed, then get an M.2 drive, ~2500MB/s

Associate
I wonder if the risk really is double... for RAID, when 1 drive dies you lose everything; and for one large drive, when 1 drive dies you lose everything.

I agree that the risk of having 2 drives is probably technically higher, but I wonder if it really is double.

Personally, I advocate the bigger drive so that you save room for another one later if needed.

If you buy two lottery tickets, you have double the chance of winning.

If each drive has a 0.0001% chance of failing today, then with two of them you now have a 0.0002% chance of a drive failure today.

Back
Top Bottom