What "man jobs" have you done today?

Soldato
:eek: that can be expensive....
we had a leak on a Saturday night once. by luck between me and my dad we got it fixed but could have been a lot worse..

To be honest, it's not been too bad. He is a decent plumber, will definitely be keeping his card.

ukRgjVB.jpg

He's had to put two stops on and will have a return visit tomorrow to actually fix it.

I'm going to have to get some plasterboard to fix this mess however.

Commissario
Pah, hitting a water pipe is childs play, any idiot can do that when drilling.;)

Hitting the gas pipe, twice in roughly the same place (albeit about 10 years apart), that takes a special kind of skill!

Slightly more seriously, hopefully it didn't do too much damage

Associate
I've painted the dining room walls, took out the old gas fireplace and started to block off the hole ready for skimming to take my electric fire

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Painted the small toilet, was lazy and decided to paint over the existing wallpaper... Bad idea took 4 coats to cover up the previous disgusting mess the previous owner left on the walls. Should have bought a tin of Shillac, but I did get some periods of dirty bomb playing between coats. (so much paint the wall paper bubbles then you have to leave it 4 hrs to settle down again grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr)

Then spent another 2hrs drawing up plans using the golden ratio for some Rothko type stripes with the left overs from the other 2 rooms I did.

Soldato
Fitted a new ceiling light to the nursery, dimmable LED GU10's and a new dimmer switch.

Bought the 3x Dimmable GU10's 4x normal GU10's 3x B22 Golf ball and another Dimmer switch from LED hut, should have come to £65ish 30% discount for black friday and 30% cash back made a nice dent in the price, after the cash back comes through it will be more like £35 :D

Also installed the Louverd door above the stairs I've been telling the wife I will sort for the last three months...

Soldato
this weekend, i built a cupboard for my boiler, cut and fitted my kickboards, cut and fitted architrave around door and window and painted them, built a wardrobe.

Soldato
Bought the 3x Dimmable GU10's 4x normal GU10's 3x B22 Golf ball and another Dimmer switch from LED hut, should have come to £65ish 30% discount for black friday and 30% cash back made a nice dent in the price, after the cash back comes through it will be more like £35 :D

Hopefully! When they come to process the claim and see you've used a BF code as well, they may decline it. Unless the code was from the Quidco/TKB website :)

I didn't get a great deal done this weekend. I attempted to remove a radiator and then realised I didn't have one of those brass caps to seal off the inlet. I made it just in time before closing to the shops to get one and then realised I didn't have my wallet. Ha. So that was the end of that job.

Soldato
Started fitting insulation to all the central heating pipes under the floor boards, found a leak, drained system fixed leak, drain valve started leaking luckily there were isolation taps either side so that was an easy fix. Came to refill the system to find the air bleed screw on the hot water cylinder is blocked, removed top pipe and in doing so damaged the seal on the tank. So now i need a new hot water cylinder, drained the system with some hose pipe. We now have no hot water, no washing machine. Thank god the shower is electric.

To make the job more annoying its all imperial pipe work, but i will be fitting some extra drain valves on the cold fill section to the tank, and a bleed valve to the top pipe of the coil. Not what i needed when the whole system is in need of changing to a combi.

Dont even know if they make the correct cylinder anymore.

Last edited:
Associate
Found a puddle on the conservatory floor, probably coming from the light fitting but need to investigate. Got the ladder and tools ready for when I get around to it :D The light switch is an FCU which I've removed the fuse from for now.

Soldato
Pah, hitting a water pipe is childs play, any idiot can do that when drilling.;)

Hitting the gas pipe, twice in roughly the same place (albeit about 10 years apart), that takes a special kind of skill!

Slightly more seriously, hopefully it didn't do too much damage

A tiny amount has leaked into the plasterboard ceiling downstairs however it's already dried out 90% and just needs a bit of filler over one place and a lick of paint. Plumber is coming tonight to completely finish off :)

This is what expanding foam was designed for :D.

I can't tell if you're joking but I don't care. That's what I'm using, thanks for the idea. I was going to completely patch it up properly but **** it.

Commissario
It's child's play compared to coving, so long as you have a decent mitre saw/box.

(never doing coving again)

Don't mention Coving.

We tried it once for my mum's dining room as she wanted it to look nice.

Never again.

I got the second tap done this afternoon, this time it was a ten minute job, in fact it went so well I'm now wondering what's gone wrong and when it's going to leak (me a pessimist? Never).

Back
Top Bottom