Project - 37a (Wendyhouse)

Soldato
OP
Non photographic update.
Sparky has been in today and finished "stringing" it all up. I think I'm officially ready for plaster and stuff :)

Not had much done over the past couple of weeks due to work commitments but did manage to get a cheeky rewire of my network in the attic and main distribution point. Pics to follow when I get a decent one.

Last edited:
Associate
Non photographic update.
Sparky has been in today and finished "stringing" it all up. I think I'm officially ready for plaster and stuff :)
Not had much done over the past couple of weeks due to work commitments but did manage to get a cheeky retire of my network in the attic and main distribution point. Pics to follow when I get a decent one.
Looking forward to seeing your new network setup as seeing all the new components not set up is just teasing :)

Soldato
OP
Network update pics

So going forwards the attic looks like it's going to be housing more network kit than I anticipated. Having now gone mad and put cat 5 boxes into everywhere I wanted I've started playing with fibre and I like it :) Temptation is to run some fibre as well but there is literally NO reason to (yet).

So from a few updates ago, I had the attic in a state similar to this (spoiler tagged as I've previously posted the before;

It evolved into this, colour coded Yellow running PoE and Red for LAN.

Then it bothered me that what if the PoE switch messes up and sticks power down a non powered cable so I managed to get another MikroTik from the MM, an RB750GL set up as a "dumb" switch for non PoE.

Now we have some growing room at least in the attic and if push comes to shove the 750 can be swapped out for a CRS in the future to give far too many ports (or maybe a rewire with cat5 in the future).

Last edited:
Associate
Looking good, it's probably for the best that you have two switches as the last thing you want is to blow your devices that dont need POE. Also it's good you've colour coded as although you don't have many wires it will certainly help if you need to fix any issues. :)

Excellent work :)

Soldato
OP
Scratch coat

Very happy with this mornings progress. Unfortunately it started to lash it down so not a lot more could be done but I'm happy with this. Plan is to finish the render next weekend and maybe even get a few plaster boards up!

Cat5 box in the shed side now also for the monitoring kit

Plasterboards for next week

Also the gate wall got some attention and coping stones

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Been another good weekend. Yesterday most of the outer render got done so it's just sat trying to dry out in this horrendous wind and rain.

Also the biggest step forward is the electrics are now all in and working! We have light and power ready for the plaster next week so we can get a heater going drying it out.

Guttering also ordered to finish the back off.

Associate
Great news, just wondering what pace the project will be going at now as you should be able to work on it even in this "interesting" weather we are having at the moment. :D

I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of the project as I'd like to do something similar to this myself at some point :)

Soldato
OP
Great news, just wondering what pace the project will be going at now as you should be able to work on it even in this "interesting" weather we are having at the moment. :D

I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of the project as I'd like to do something similar to this myself at some point :)

The weather is a nightmare. Were hoping for the build completed before Xmas. May get decorating and carpet done over the Xmas break.

Soldato
OP
Render and power

Here we go, render is done in 2 out of 3 places now. Apologies for image quality, the nights are getting dark before I get home so couldn't get a good one in the light for you. All bulbs are LED so low running costs for the anticipated late night sessions, very bright as well. They are the Ikea 8k bulbs.

Lights, power on the walls and mess in the way of where my desk will eventually go

This will be TV and console corner

Sofa corner with socket on wall for phone charger (lols)

This is the shed side, the mess isn't mine

Also after telling myself not to look I ended up buying a cheap TV in the black Friday sales, just a basic 720p 32" but for the rare XB360 and freesat it'll be used for it wasn't bad for £100 (note this is my current setup also I am using).

This weekend I'm hoping the guys get the hole at the door sorted (slightly wider gap than door). The internal should be plaster boarded with roof insulation and possibly, possibly skimmed as well. Guttering is being ordered along with water butt thing.

Getting closer to build completion and decorating/carpeting/panic move in time.

Last edited:
Associate
Nice to see you're making progress in leaps and bounds. Also the TV is not a bad little bargain as for that price you can't go wrong. :) I can't wait to see it once it has been plastered as that is usually the stage when it transforms in a few hours :D

Soldato
OP
Spent an hour this evening redrawing my network to fit the new router in, getting my hands on the new MikroTik RB3011UiAS-RM and I'm just awaiting confirmation that the fibre direct cable will work and I'll be using that to connect to the CRS.

Very excited about a new router :-/

Associate
Spent an hour this evening redrawing my network to fit the new router in, getting my hands on the new MikroTik RB3011UiAS-RM and I'm just awaiting confirmation that the fibre direct cable will work and I'll be using that to connect to the CRS.

Very excited about a new router :-/
I've never seen fiber cables being used in a home setup before but I suppose this is no oridnary home network setup is it? :)

Just wondering, for the costs do the fiber cables offer any tangible performance benefits over their copper equivelant or is it future-proofing :D

Soldato
OP
Just wondering, for the costs do the fiber cables offer any tangible performance benefits over their copper equivelant or is it future-proofing :D

In the instance I'm using them there is absolutely no difference at all unfortunately. MikroTik do a specific direct connection cable for their kit which has SFP+ at both ends which in theory could do 10Gb however my 2 devices only support SFP so 1Gb is the max I'll get.

It's a £20 interconnect that is equal to a cat5 I can make for free. It's just to be able to say I'm using fibre in my home network. In the future I may look to upgrading the cat5 I have to fibre but thats a long way off as there is no gain at all over the distances I'm using.

Soldato
OP
Plasterboarding

So, internally things are getting closer to being finished now.
Guys have been in today and plaster boarded most of it, some last minute electrical work from myself to save a cable being seen and we have this so far;

Then we have the new toy which I half configured this afternoon. Can't finish the last few bits until it's in place and the RB2011 is re purposed.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom