Internet keeps freezing

Hey all.
I have Plusnet Fibre ~38mb.
I have the free router that comes with it.

My internet and online game (BF4) freeze now and then - Usually ~20 seconds then it springs back to life. I can't even go into the router settings.
It can't be my powerline adaptor (Desktop PC) as the Microserver in the living room is directly wired to it and has the same issue.
The router says it has been connected for several days.

Is it:
- Crap router. Buy a new one.
- Another issue I have missed?

Thanks
Matt

Soldato
Hey all.
I have Plusnet Fibre ~38mb.
I have the free router that comes with it.

My internet and online game (BF4) freeze now and then - Usually ~20 seconds then it springs back to life. I can't even go into the router settings.
It can't be my powerline adaptor (Desktop PC) as the Microserver in the living room is directly wired to it and has the same issue.
The router says it has been connected for several days.

Is it:
- Crap router. Buy a new one.
- Another issue I have missed?

Thanks
Matt

Same issues with Plusnet.

Since I went fibre the reliability has gone out of the window. Drop outs every morning and just poor stability.

All I keep doing is rebooting the router which cures it for about 12 hours.

Don
If you can't access the router, it's a local issue.

I've never used the default router with my Plusnet (besides 30 seconds during setup)

Bought a Ubiquity edgerouter lite, hasn't skipped a beat.

Associate
As you're with PN you should have a separate VDSL modem (which is a good thing!) so you can get any of the decent 802.11ac cable routers. Asus, Netgear, Linksys all make decent ones.

Do you have a budget in mind?

Soldato
The plusnet router though woefully poor as a device and infuriating at times from a management perspective is actually pretty solid from a reliability perspective. It's not the quickest, the UI sucks badly and it's integrated wifi is not going to win any awards for speed, but it is pretty solid. Eliminate the variables, hard wire it and test it, if it still does it with the PC then try another device if possible. If it does it with that then it's likely the router/connection, if it doesn't then it's the PC.

Soldato
OP
ping to router should always be under 1ms. how are you connected to router?

Just checked again when it was playing up. It is 1ms when OK and playing up so please ignore the earlier reading.
I checked the router settings again today and the external BT modem has been connected now for 8+ days.

I am connected via a powerline adaptor to the router (cabled).
However the PC downstairs has exactly the same issue and is connected to the router directly.

Back
Top Bottom