Corsair Vengeance Tall Heatsink Removed!!!

Associate
Just removed my Corsair vengeance tall heatsink. It's a lot easier than I thought. I used a plastic spatula to pry the heatsink off:

6448597829_80180f7d5e_b.jpg

6448601015_5ab61fd40b_b.jpg

6448604597_3949808ccd_b.jpg

And my new bling bling !

6448607945_053e9b8402_b.jpg

Soldato
Just removed my Corsair vengeance tall heatsink. It's a lot easier than I thought. I used a plastic spatula to pry the heatsink off:

They are easy to get off - sometimes too easy.

Nice sharp pics - personally i think your memory looks better with the new lower profile skin even with the bling look :)

Associate
Very interesting idea :).

I was concerned that I was going to encounter heat sink mounting issues with my the 4 sticks of vengeance ram being so high, but fortunately the corsair H50 doesn't require much clearance :).

Permabanned
Those tall vengeance heatspreaders are ridiculous considering that the vengeance ram is just bog cheap standard stuff that barely overclocks, yet its marketted as overclocking ram.

No more Corsair for me after these thats for sure. Pay more than other brands, get the same cheap stuff, ewwww!!!! :mad:

Caporegime
I wonder if you could do this with a set of ocz reapers? An old pic below of them in my previous eclipse 62 with a TRUE.

Picture014.jpg

I was thinking of purchasing a silver arrow cooler, but the reaper's heatpipe would be badly in the way.

Caporegime
I wonder if you could do this with a set of ocz reapers?

It depends how they're stuck on.

The OP's were stuck on with what looks like thermal tape so were easy to remove.

Some are stuck to the chips with thermal adhesive and you can risk pulling the RAM chips off the PCB trying to remove the heat spreaders.

Caporegime
Iirc, there are some reaper kits where theyre stuck on with pads, (several different designs of reaper). I remember a few users on here reporting that the heatspreaders fell off them.

Associate
I have a set of Reapers from April 2009 I tried taking the heatsink off, unscrewed the 2 black screws and started to pry open with a think piece of plastic, heard a crack noise then decided to abandon the idea, tested them with memtest86+ just incase I did pull a chip off the pcb, they are OK but if they are hard to remove do not continue

Soldato
Ive switched them out now for 12gb of low profile kingston hyper x in a 3x4gb configuration. Might use the reapers in my other machine along with 6gb of corsair xms 3.

I figured you would scratch that itch sooner or later ;)

Have you noticed any benefits jumping from 6gb to 12gb setter - BF3 in particular?

Caporegime
Not much difference in bf3, as my ram use was around 2gb for the game. Windows feels a lot snappier though. Made the upgrade as the kingston was pretty cheap, and i see it has risen quite steeply in the last few weeks. The reapers were an excellent high end cas7 set, but due to their size they were a hindrance to the cpu cooler.

Man of Honour
I was thinking of purchasing a silver arrow cooler, but the reaper's heatpipe would be badly in the way.

As mentioned above OCZ Reaper kits are a bit hit and miss when it comes to removing the heatpipes - I tried to take one of my kits apart after heating stories of the heatspreader coming loose in the case and they were v. secure :S

Soldato
was it only asthetics and clearance that you changed or was there another reason? overclocking perhaps?

personally, i think paying more for heatspreaders is a waste as ram only gets hot if your overclocking it a lot :)

Associate
OP
Indeed. What camera?

nice photos

Don't know if you're asking me or the other chaps' pics, anyway thanks, and I used a Canon 7D.

was it only asthetics and clearance that you changed or was there another reason? overclocking perhaps?

personally, i think paying more for heatspreaders is a waste as ram only gets hot if your overclocking it a lot :)

It was just for clearance, because my Silver Arrow is such a monster.

Back
Top Bottom