Sennheiser HD650 - The classic beauty in a grey dress Appreciation thread!

Associate
OP
I'm thinking of getting a nice cable, I'm liking the look of the toxic cables for the 650 but the Moon audio Black/Blue Dragon cables are tempting. I never used to be a cable believer but recently I've been hearing differences between them. I don't think it's worth the price though if s lot of these cables and the differences is tiny.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I don't believe there's much difference in cables at the top end. The stock cable is very good quality and very low resistance.

The only time I have noticed a difference is on the Fidelio X1, that cable had nearly 2 ohms of resistance, and replacing the cable made the sound more natural as the new resistance was something like 0.3 ohms.

Phillips fixed the cable issue in the X2 though, guess they had too many complaints.

Associate
OP
Ive got three Audioquest cables here. All three sound different but I would say it's such a tiny difference that it's not worth it unless you really like the look of the cable and the feel of it. I do like the stock cable just setting a bit sexier.

Man of Honour
Ive got three Audioquest cables here. All three sound different but I would say it's such a tiny difference that it's not worth unless you really like the look of the cable and the feel of it.

As mrk said would be interesting to know the resistance - I've only ever really heard any difference with "bad" cables versus ok or better ones.

Soldato
I have them!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Tinkering with settings on the STX. Had to step up the gain from <64ohm's to 64-300ohm's.

Will test the line out in a second as using the headphone out. So far though, they are amazing!

Just tried the line out on the STX, didn't do it for me, not enough drive. However, the standard op amps on the STX have to go, they don't do these headphones justice. So I'll be upgrading those asap!

Last edited:
Soldato
So much for not getting them until Christmas then! :p

Why would you test them with the line out? That's for connecting speakers.

As for the opamps; I'm curious as to how you know they don't do the headphones justice, unless you something else to compare against.

I changed the opamps in my ST and noticed no difference what so ever, but then I didn't expect to really.

Soldato
So much for not getting them until Christmas then! :p

Why would you test them with the line out? That's for connecting speakers.

As for the opamps; I'm curious as to how you know they don't do the headphones justice, unless you something else to compare against.

I changed the opamps in my ST and noticed no difference what so ever, but then I didn't expect to really.

I'm comparing against my Yamaha RX-675 receiver, which has a very good DAC in it (probably one of the best on the market, Burr Down) and a decent amp, it also drives hard to drive phones very well. The notice is the low range being a tad muffled and flat. And top end being a bit too harsh. So I'll change out the Op Amps and see how I get on.

Ultimately I'll likely get a decent Schiit setup.

Man of Honour
I have them!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Tinkering with settings on the STX. Had to step up the gain from <64ohm's to 64-300ohm's.

Will test the line out in a second as using the headphone out. So far though, they are amazing!

Just tried the line out on the STX, didn't do it for me, not enough drive. However, the standard op amps on the STX have to go, they don't do these headphones justice. So I'll be upgrading those asap!

Assuming default setup on the STX if you have any DIY skills stick an audio grade 10uf aluminium electrolytic capacitor over the power pins of the LM4562s - it will make a ton of difference to the bass on them for some reason (EDIT: Don't actually know if Asus has done that in the design or not but from people's description it sounds like not).

In my experience Nichicon KZ will give the closest to transparent results the FG variant tends to make the sound a bit warmer with a boost to lower mid-range another option is the infamous elna silmic II which can be good for enjoyment but not so much for accuracy or failing that the Panasonic FCs will give a fairly neutral result though not quite as good as the KZ.

The horrid treble comes from a mixture of both the 2114 and LM4562 either one or the other isn't too bad but in combination urgh - shame there isn't a DIP version of the OPA1612 as it isn't a bad combination with the LM4562 for the HD600 series.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've been considering upgrading the op-amps on my STX II to eke a bit more quality out of my 650s, but I'm not sure how noticeable a couple of MUSES01s will be over stock. As I haven't done any mods like this before I have to ask, can I get away with just changing the two op-amps that sit side by side or do I need to change all three op-amps to hear an improvement?

Man of Honour
Doesn't the STX II already come with MUSES in? albeit not the 01/02s so probably not going to change much.

The original potentially can have more of an improvement as the 2114 are a bit cheap and cheerful and while fairly decent the treble can sound a bit harsh and the lm4562 some people find sound cold and metallic - while the combination is pretty detailed it might not be the most enjoyable for listening pleasure.

Man of Honour
from the Asus website

I believe the STX II has the 8820/8920 MUSES fitted as standard - fairly hard to beat unless you prefer a different sound signature - hence the 49720s in the box if people prefer a more analytical sound versus the smoother warmer sound of the MUSES.

Associate
OP
There's been some speculation that because of the mass drop deal that Sennheiser maybe coming out with a successor. People have been saying that for years though.

I really don't know what they can really do apart from clean up the bass but even then you lose out on that lushness. The 650 is already neutral through the mids and treble IMO. I'd love to see them maybe come out with an open headphone hat can produce bass like the Elear with the rest of the 650's balance and elegance.

Man of Honour
Few options on the comfort side that could be improved on - not that they lack there but there is room for improvement. I can't see any other tweaks that wouldn't take them away from what makes them special - they could increase bass and separation but that would as you say almost certainly come at the expense of the overall smooth/complimentary lush sound which would put them more into competition with other options.

That said - I wouldn't mind something like the 650s that had the clarity and separation of my MX580s but a smoother more organic sound and proper bass those couldn't even come close to reproducing - would be tricky to do though.

Associate
OP
This makes me realise the HD600 series are probably the only flagships that has never needed an upgrade. I quite like the idea of headphones being timeless which they really are in most cases. I think "Upgrades" for already well made headphones is all in most users heads in my opinion; influenced by companies, review sites which harbour god knows how many paid reviewers.

Yeah the comfort could be better for sure. After a while though I find they fit like a well used glove, so cosey. I would always welcome more bass extension but judging by how Focal did it with the Elear, it would be one expensive headphone considering the driver that would have to be used.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom