Best PC speakers without going over board....it's just for mp3's and games

Permabanned
Ok so I've still got my Creative Inspire 5300's from when they were first released, how long has that been? 13 years? they still work as long as I don't mess with the bass knob on the back of the woofer, one little turn kills the woofer.

So I'm looking for a new set of PC speakers, 5.1 has never worked for me, the rear/side speakers have never ever functioned properly...years ago I had some sound out of them on windows XP I think but since windows 7 nothing.

So which 2.1 or 5.1 speakers would you all recommend? I can't be bothered with an amp and book shelf speakers and I don't really have the room.

Soldato
You can always add a subwoofer later. I'm using speakers and a AVR and I don't need a subwoofer. For close monitor you won't need one.

Benefit of a AVR it has a DAC so digital out from the computer so bypasses noisy internals of the computer, and decodes audio from movies.

Soldato
You can always add a subwoofer later. I'm using speakers and a AVR and I don't need a subwoofer. For close monitor you won't need one.

Similar for me, in that I don't have a subwoofer either. It is different though when you're used to better quality speakers that aren't cheap 2.1/5.1. It's easier to appreciate quality over quantity when it comes to the bass.

Some people get used to the over bloated bass you get from 2.1/5.1 PC speakers, and they can miss that when getting stereo speakers; especially when gaming.

I recommended some stereo bookshelf speakers and an integrated stereo amp to someone a few years ago, who had a £50 2.1 set of Logitech's. I think he ended up getting some Q Acoustics, but when he got them, he was really disappointed by the lack of bass. The superior sound quality compared to the cheap Logitech speakers, he didn't seem to notice, only the lack of bass. He couldn't afford a subwoofer as well, so his dad ended up having to buy him one, much to his displeasure I'm sure. I seem to remember that he thought after spending all that money, he wasn't getting audio much better than what he had before. Some people... :p

I mentioned all that, because while you I and many others couldn't be doing with 2.1 PC speakers any more, that wont apply to everyone. Some people are quite happy with what PC speakers provide and that's all they will ever need and trying to suggest alternatives with better sound quality is not always going to turn out better for them.

Soldato
I've never seen the need for any more bass than I get from my Edifier R1600Ts - anything more and my downstairs neighbour would start complaining. :D

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
Probably £100 really.

Sound quality is subjective though, just because something is more expensive doesn't mean it's better even though that's what the price suggests. I mean I don't really understand why Linn are soo expensive.

Soldato
It certainly is subjective, and because it is, recommending what someone should buy, can be tricky, as it might not always turn out to be the best recommendation for them.

If someone with 2.1/5.1 speakers says that he/she is looking for an improvement, but is considering stereo and isn't too fussed about deep bass, then it's a lot easier to steer that person towards bookshelf speakers + amp; or maybe studio monitor speakers.

If that person though, likes their 2.1/5.1 speakers and wants the similar again, but better. Trying to steer them towards stereo speakers, because the sound is better to those doing the recommending, may not always turn out well; such as the example above.

It's hard to know whether stereo speakers and an amp, will be a good move for you. You might find the sound is fine and a subwoofer is not needed; but judging by your question above though, about will they have the same oomph as 2.1 speakers, I'm guessing you would want a subwoofer as well. Now, you could add one afterwards, but unless you get a really good used bargain, you'd probably end up paying £100 at least for one. If it's new, even then, £100 for a subwoofer is cheap.

I think ideally, anyone with 2.1/5.1 PC speakers that have been recommended getting stereo speakers, it would be a good idea to listen to some at a shop like Richer Sounds. At least, that person would have an idea whether pursuing that route is worth their time and money.

If that's not possible, then you can only go on other's recommendations and opinions. Certainly the safe bet is to get what you know. On the other hand, if you do go with stereo speakers + amp, and maybe a subwoofer at a later date, it could turn out to be a good investment.

If you'd prefer to stick with 2.1, then the best bet is Acoustic Energy Aego M. Acoustic Energy are selling refurbished units themselves on the famous auction site for £90, or you could buy a new set for £130.

Harman Kardon Soundsticks III are also good for £100, but the looks do put some people off.

Logitech or Creative are fine for cheap 2.1 speakers, but with £100 to spend, there are better options.

Soldato
Can I hijack this thread? It's been quiet for a bit but very close to what I want to ask.

Ive got a big marantz amp and some old Mercury M1s. They're OK, but they seem to play "past" me. Also each part of that setup is too big . I'd like something that takes up less space.

Would something like Bose Companion 2 Series II's or Creative GigaWorks T40 Series II (2.0)'s be a comparable sound that better suits being sat so close?

Soldato
I think I know what you mean when you say they play 'past you'. That's probably because being HiFi speakers, they work best when the user is sat a few feet further back. Normally, when sitting close, the volume will be lower, unless of course you're someone who loves being blasted with loud sound. HiFi speakers sound better when given more volume, which is normally more comfortable when sat further back. Having it that loud when sat in front of them, would be very uncomfortable for many people.

Active or studio monitor speakers would fare better, as they are designed for close listening and generally perform better at lower volumes.

The Bose or Creative's won't really compare to the Tannoy Mercury M1, but I can see why they are more appealing due to much smaller size. Not a fan of Bose though; their products are generally pricey for average sound quality.

Going by the price of the Bose and Creative's you've mentioned, I'm guessing you're looking to spend around or no more than £100?

Something larger would be better, but if you're after speakers considerably smaller than the Tannoy M1's, then M-Audio AV32, Alesis Elevate 3 and Mackie CR3, might be worth considering. All have 3" woofers so will be quite small, but the smaller woofer the more limiting the bass output. Larger woofers will have a better bass response, but that in turn means a larger speaker.

Ones with 4" woofers will fare better, such as Edifier R1600T III, R1800T III and M-Audio AV42 and Mackie CR4. Only slightly smaller than the Tannoy M1 though. All being active/powered, at least you wouldn't have the large amp to consider.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks a lot. That's spot on. Can you tell me if I went for the smallest speaker options, is there a similarly small sub I could supplement them with?

Associate
The best PG gaming (non 5.1/7.1) speakers I found weren't standard separate speakers, but a TV speaker base. I got a refurbished Panasonic sc-hte80 from Argos on EBay for £80 and they are fantastic. I sit my monitor on top of the unit, so it doesn't take up any space, either.

Last edited:
Soldato
The best PG gaming (non 5.1/7.1) speakers I found weren't standard separate speakers, but a TV speaker base. I got a refurbished Panasonic sc-hte80 from Argos on EBay for £80 and they are fantastic. I sit my monitor on top of the unit, so it doesn't take up any space, either.

I was deliberating this too. I wondered whether a soundbar might try to hurl the sound out to get it over to a sofa on the other side of the room. How's yours at low volumes?

Other than that, a TV speaker base makes much more sense from the perspective of my desk ergonomics.

Soldato
Another vote for that approach - I use soundbars on 3 PC's (all different makes though) and they are great, and if you have a big monitor fit nicely underneath.

ETA with soundbars so close, you get great left/right seperation, just check the size carefully to suit your needs.

Back
Top Bottom