South West Trains disruption (Reading - London Waterloo line)

Soldato
http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_disruptions/sa1c9e4a1d1349548b8faaad06961215/details.html

Apparently problems with a single bridge in the Feltham area have knocked out direct rail services between Reading\Windsor and London Waterloo (with the only feasible alternative meaning a long connecting journey between Paddington and Waterloo on the tube). The replacement buses are shoddy at best - my journey this morning took 50 minutes instead of 15 as usual.

Anyone else affected here?

Caporegime
didnt someone mention this in the "Stuff you know that others wouldn't know because of your job." thread about 3 days ago lol

Associate
The sign at Reading station says it will take at least 10 days to sort, but most likely longer. My housemate spoke to a member of train staff the other day and they estimate about a month!

Luckily my journey on that line doesn't go past Feltham and there were only problems for me on the Monday. I had no problems yesterday and hopefully there will be no more disruptions on the affected part of my commute until it's sorted now.

Associate
Slightly affected - travel between Richmond/Putney each day and now there's only a slow train every 15 minutes. Also occasionally travel from Earlsfield to Richmond too and have given up changing at clapham and now just take the circular train via Hounslow.

Obviously this is no where near the inconvenience some people are experiencing :) The bridge looks rooted.

Soldato
OP
The sign at Reading station says it will take at least 10 days to sort, but most likely longer. My housemate spoke to a member of train staff the other day and they estimate about a month!

Luckily my journey on that line doesn't go past Feltham and there were only problems for me on the Monday. I had no problems yesterday and hopefully there will be no more disruptions on the affected part of my commute until it's sorted now.

I've wondered when that single track would cause a problem, and here we are...there's a pair that bypass Ashford before Staines though.

daz

daz

Soldato
Isn't the Reading -> Waterloo line much slower than Reading -> Paddington?

And the tube journey from Paddington to Waterloo isn't far off the difference between them?

Soldato
OP
Isn't the Reading -> Waterloo line much slower than Reading -> Paddington?

And the tube journey from Paddington to Waterloo isn't far off the difference between them?

Yeah, but that's because fast trains from Reading - Paddington never make any stops ;)

If you need to use any intermediate stations you're on the slow service. Just the one link is going to get crowding problems as well.

Yes, I'm affected. All you Feltham scum are taking up space on my train :mad:

Should be made to walk.

Well it's the closest station to Heathrow on that line...

Last edited:

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
I do reading to mansion house every morning, can use either line. Going via paddington and then the tubes is faster and more frequent all round anyway :confused:

Was it down this morning, could have perhaps explained the immense crowds on the main line.....

Soldato
OP
I do reading to mansion house every morning, can use either line. Going via paddington and then the tubes is faster and more frequent all round anyway :confused:

Not all of us are at Reading though ;)

Hence:

Was it down this morning, could have perhaps explained the immense crowds on the main line.....

:)

Who do our rail lines rely on antiquated bridges like that :(

The physical network hasn't had a major upgrade for decades.

Soldato
I do Twickenham to Waterloo and half the trains have been cancelled all week.

Luckily I don't have to cross the bit where the bridge is down so it's not been anywhere near as bad for me as for some other people.
In the mornings they've got a few trains starting at Twickenham so this morning I rolled up to the station and jumped straight on to an empty train - the journey was much more relaxed than normal :)

No such luck coming home though - all the trains have been rammed.

It's England vs New Zealand here on Saturday as well so I can imagine the chaos it will cause the rugby crowds.

Soldato
i'm doing Wokingham to Canary Wharf and i've given up and started going via Guildford this week which isn't too bad except for when i leave past 21.15 to go home because then i get a lovely 45minute wait at Guildford in the cold for a connection.

Thank god i'm away on business for the next 5 weeks, hopefully ample time for them to get things sorted.

Soldato
OP
i'm doing Wokingham to Canary Wharf and i've given up and started going via Guildford this week which isn't too bad except for when i leave past 21.15 to go home because then i get a lovely 45minute wait at Guildford in the cold for a connection.

Thank god i'm away on business for the next 5 weeks, hopefully ample time for them to get things sorted.

Least you have Ascot within reasonable travelling time for Surrey connections, I'd have to go via Clapham Junction :p

Back
Top Bottom