Council Tax

Soldato
If this for some reason is against forum rules then please feel free to remove it and I do apologies.

I have started an e-petition about my Council Tax bill

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSOxMiJTYR0#t=1

'Repeal the Enforcement provisions of Committal to Prison for non-payment of Council Tax'

I wanted to ask you all at OCUK if you could sign too.

The Government's recent welfare reforms mean that most adult citizens in this country will now be required to pay Council Tax.
But what will happen if I continue to ignore my Council Tax bill or refuse to pay it?

The answer from the Government:–
'If you’re struggling to pay your Council Tax… If you can’t come to a payment arrangement (or if you make arrangements to pay but don’t), your council can ask the Magistrates’ Court for a ‘Liability Order’.

This is a demand for you to pay the full amount you owe, plus costs… If you ignore the court order… Your council can send bailiffs to your home to seize property to sell…

If your council has tried using bailiffs but your bill still isn’t paid, they can apply to the Magistrates’ Court for a warrant to send you to prison…

If the court doesn't think you have a valid reason for not paying, it can send you to prison for up to 3 months.'

https://www.gov.uk/council-tax-arrears
England and Wales are the only countries in Europe in which a person can be sent to prison for not paying a local tax.
There is no imprisonment for failure to pay Council Tax in Scotland.

This campaign means a lot to me. The more support we can get behind it, the better chance we have of succeeding and changing the Law.

You can read more at http://Stop.Jail4Tax.me.uk

Sign the petition here:
https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/57160/signature/new

Thank you!
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Please let me make this clear. This isn't about people refusing to pay their Council Tax. It is about people not being able to afford to pay the Council Tax. And the fact that, it you CAN'T pay and have no means to pay, the Council can still apply for your committal to prison.

Last edited:
Associate
I haven't looked at the youtube video but I'm not sure I understand why you wouldn't pay your council tax? Why does it mean a lot to you and your family?

Associate
It's a perfectly good system. People don't go to prison if they have a genuine reason for not being able to pay.

Soldato
I do agree that its unfair to put people in prison for non payment of tax... where there is genuine case of hardship. If you have the money but don't pay then fair enough!

What annoys me is that it goes up year after year yet no improvements to services, while the useless town council sit eating biccies and have nice dinners and pat themselves on the back saying how well they do. :mad:

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
As someone who pays their council taxes, I don't see why I should worry about penalties for people who do not. How do you expect council services to continue if people do not pay?

Soldato
You want people to get away with not paying a bill? :confused:

Seems like a very fair system to me, you have plenty of chances to sort things out.

Not signing.

Caporegime
Please let me make this clear. This isn't about people refusing to pay their Council Tax. It is about people not being able to afford to pay the Council Tax. And the fact that, it you CAN'T pay and have no means to pay, the Council can still apply for your committal to prison.

Considering you have options for payment plans if struggling and they can only ask for a jail term IF they deem you have no good reason for not paying, then yes, it really is about jailing for refusal to pay council tax. There are plenty of points along the process you can talk to the council about problems with paying, there is no wording or reason to believe they will instantly jump to a jail term if you can't pay, only if you WON'T pay.

Soldato
Yes they do.

Genuine reasons do not include such things as the following :

I don't like council tax
I already pay too much tax
I think the council drink too much coffee
I voted for a different council
I really wanted Call of Duty Ghosts instead

Back
Top Bottom