£250-£300 budget 2.1 Speakers

Associate
For my sister's birthday/xmas present. She listens to music and watches movies using her iPhone and Macbook Pro as sources (not the best I know).

I haven't really kept up with this field. What do you guys suggest?

We already have a SP2500 and Aego M so looking for something different and superior.

The Edifier S530?

Cheers guy :)

Soldato
The problem with wanting something superior to what you have currently, is that there are only a small handful of 2.1 speaker sets that can be considered good, and you've already got two of them.

PC 2.1 speakers are fine up to a certain price point, but the Edifier's are close to budget separates money, such as the Whafedale speakers and subwoofer linked above. Not as convenient as you've got to add an amplifier as well, but for sound quality, PC speakers won't touch them.

Edifier S530 do look like a good 2.1 set, but it depends what is most important, best sound quality for around £300, or the ease of set up and not having to find place for an amplifier.

Soldato
Pity Richer Sounds don't sell the SW150. They could do a good budget 2.1 bundle with the 9.0's, SW150 and maybe a Cambridge Audio Topaz AM1.

Associate
OP
Space is not an issue. I can also spend a bit more so like£350.

SW150, 9.0s and AM1 yes? Anything else to consider? If not I'll pull the trigger.

Soldato
Other than spending the whole lot on active/powered stereo speakers or the majority on passive stereos and the rest on an amp, leaving out the subwoofer, then not really.

9.1 and 9.0 are very good speakers. I've got the 9.1's and I got my mum some 9.0's to use with my old amp. £100 and £40 respectively, they are great value.

You'll need to get some speaker cable as well, if you don't have some already. Fancy cable makes no difference, so Cambridge Audio Symphony cable will do fine.

Associate
OP
Oh I got confused with 9.0 and the first link which were 9.1. Totally get it now.

So I'll get dacads bundle, the AM1 and some cables. Don't cables normally come included? Is it just male to male RCA cables? And if yes, 2 of those?

Soldato
Oh I got confused with 9.0 and the first link which were 9.1. Totally get it now.

So I'll get dacads bundle, the AM1 and some cables. Don't cables normally come included? Is it just male to male RCA cables? And if yes, 2 of those?

Nope, well not normally with separates, unless whoever is selling a bundle includes some; which is unlikely, as I'm sure they'd love to sell some expensive cables, rather than budget ones. ;)

As dacads posted, 2 lengths of speaker cable and an interconnect stereo RCA to 3.5mm lead to connect to laptop or phone. Wouldn't buy one from SuperFi or RS though, not if you need longer than 1M, because you'll end paying £15-£20.

Something like this one will do from eBay. I've got some of these and they work fine and are cheap.

You can always connect a Bluetooth or wireless receiver to the amp, either now at a later date, so you can make use of wireless connectivity between laptop/phone/tablet and the amp, rather than having to use a cable.

I connected a Logitech one to my old amp, so my mum can play music from her tablet. Works very well.

Soldato
Got it. What about a subwoofer interconnect cable?

Good point. I had forgotten about that. :p

You might be able to use the 'rec out' on the amp to connect to the subwoofer, but because budget amps tend not to have pre or sub out, the volume of the subwoofer will not alter when the volume of the amp is altered. 'Rec out' will be fixed line level volume. You'd have to alter the subwoofer's own volume control independently, which will be a pain to have to keep adjusting.

I think you'll have to use the high level speaker inputs on the subwoofer. So, you'd need to connect speaker cable to the speakers and also to the subwoofer.

Edit: No problem using high level speaker inputs though. That's why some subwoofers have them, so they can used with amps that have no pre or sub out.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Ahhh if she has to fiddle with the amp and sub volume separately, I think that'd really inconvenience her.

Maybe I should just go 2.0 and buy the Audioengine A5+ instead?

Soldato
How can there be no fiddling?

If the amp and subwoofer volumes are independent, then surely the subwoofer volume has to be adjusted accordingly when the volume of the stereo amplifier is turned up or down; otherwise you'd get an imbalance?

Anyway, that's assuming the RCA out is used to connect to the subwoofer. If the speaker level input is used then the volume of the subwoofer will increase or decrease with the amplifier volume. I assume a base volume would need to be set first with the volume control on the subwoofer.

Maybe I should just go 2.0 and buy the Audioengine A5+ instead?

Active speakers such as the A5+ are one option, and no doubt that would be the more compact solution and less hassle to set up.

Another option would be to stick with the passive speaker route, but do away with the subwoofer altogether and just spend more on better speakers. Monitor Audio Bronze 2 have 6.5" woofers, so will provide a better bass response compared to the Wharfedale 9.1's without a subwoofer. The only slight question would be, do the Bronze 2's deserve a beefier amp. That would mean either more money, or a 2nd had one, which might not be ideal when buying as a present for someone else.

Soldato
Ahhh if she has to fiddle with the amp and sub volume separately, I think that'd really inconvenience her.

I should make it clear that having to mess around with the subwoofer volume separately would only need to be done, if connecting the subwoofer to the amp via RCA. Using the speaker level inputs will allow the volume to increase and decrease with the amplifier.

Understandable though if you'd prefer to get something that's easier to set up. A5+ do get a lot of good comments.

Associate
OP
Right so I just need to connect them correctly. Ok to make this clear on what I need to get, I need to connect these:

http://medias.audiofanzine.com/images/normal/wharfedale-diamond-9-1-cherry-1177903.jpg

to

http://images.esellerpro.com/2632/I/294/AM1-V2.jpg

with speaker cables in the 2 centre red loudspeaker terminals and another 2 speaker cables into

https://img.donanimhaber.com/upfiles/98179/AFFD478D11C84271927AC81F8A9C5759.jpg

the 2 red "speaker level inputs".

Then on the AM1 "mp3/aux" port, I use a RCA to 3.5mm cable to connect to the iPhone.

How's that?

Soldato
Yep, but best remove those pics, or you'll get a warning for hotlinking. :p

Or maybe not. Maybe hotlinking is not what I think it is.

Edit: Red and black on the subwoofer, not just the red ones. It's pretty straight forward, but if you're not sure just ask away. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
I should make it clear that having to mess around with the subwoofer volume separately would only need to be done, if connecting the subwoofer to the amp via RCA. Using the speaker level inputs will allow the volume to increase and decrease with the amplifier.

Understandable though if you'd prefer to get something that's easier to set up. A5+ do get a lot of good comments.

You'll still have to set subwoofer volume to suit, but yes after that you can control volume of both speakers and subwoofer with amp.

It's really not as hard as it's being made to sound :p

Back
Top Bottom