HP Microserver+XPEnology

Soldato
Hi all
I've only had my N54 for a few days but I have installed XPEnology because I like XPEnology and the Synology mobile apps work :)

I used the img and pat files from here https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B_Edi7OdbFZla2NPa3MtNkFia3c&usp=sharing

And the 4.2 2013 modules from here https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B5tpWhEINjUONzhFaEgzazU4aEU&usp=sharing#list

The main thread is here lots of useful info there on how to install the files.. I have been testing the version I installed and so far so good.

I can confirm that the synology apps work, streaming to a android device worked if fact it's all good but faster then my DS211j
by some margin. I'm now transferring my fills to it via my backup and then I will really test.

I hope that a member could do a "How to install"?

Edit=I'm getting my full 12.6MB download speed :) I was only getting 6MB with the DS211j

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Things you need to get this port up and running.
1-A spare HD installed into bay one. All data will be deleted.
2-A USB stick with 2GB that you won't want to use any more as it stays in the server.
3-A copy of Win32DiskImage and WinSCP
4-Get the Synology assistent from the Synology site. I'm using the same one that I used with my DS211j. And install it ready.

Get the IMG and PAT file and the 4.2-02.05.2013.tar.gz from the links from the first post.

On the PC use the win32 disk image to flash the IMG file to the USB.
Then put it in the inside usb port at the front of the server do not turn it on yet

Make sure that you have a HD(data will be deleted)in bay one.
It's best to switch over your monitor so you can see it install.

Switch on the server and after a bit you should see lots of linux text which is good :)
Let it carry on till it has stopped completely.

Now switch back to the PC start synology assistant and it should show up.
if not try to search again. If it doesn't show up restart the server and try again.

I will assume that it shows up.Now take OUT the usb stick(you will need it later)
right click on the top part of synology assistant and you will see "install"

Click that and point it to were you have the PAT file click ok
and let it do it's thing. When you see a finsh icon press that then high lite your server and left click connect.

Almost dune now :)

If all goes well the synology web page should open where you put your details in Now go in to control panel and click on thermal and put a tick in SHH press ok.
Still in control panel click on FTP tick all 3 boxes.

Now start WinSCP and SHH in to it in SCP mode. now copy all the modules you just unpacked in to lib/module over write them all.

Ok so now you can start creating a volume and shared folders.
click on the top left icon and chose "Storage Manager" and have fun.

If you switch off the server the usb stick should be placed in the server.
But take it out after your server is up and running so the HDs go to sleep.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm running the Synology OS, and have to say I absolytely love it. It does absolutely everything I need and much more. Transfer rates are lightening fast - significantly faster than my old ReadyNAS NV+!

SABnzb is up and running on it now and working very well.

Do keep an eye on temps if you a running it 24/7 in this heat though!

Associate
Hi all
I've only had my N54 for a few days but I have installed XPEnology because I like XPEnology and the Synology mobile apps work :)

I used the img and pat files from here https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B_Edi7OdbFZla2NPa3MtNkFia3c&usp=sharing

And the 4.2 2013 modules from here https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B5tpWhEINjUONzhFaEgzazU4aEU&usp=sharing#list

The main thread is here lots of useful info there on how to install the files.. I have been testing the version I installed and so far so good.

I can confirm that the synology apps work, streaming to a android device worked if fact it's all good but faster then my DS211j
by some margin. I'm now transferring my fills to it via my backup and then I will really test.

I hope that a member could do a "How to install"?

Edit=I'm getting my full 12.6MB download speed :) I was only getting 6MB with the DS211j

Have you managed to get the HDDs to spin down when idle/after a preset time?

Soldato
OP
I'm very pleased with XPEnology I've copying 40GB of files to and from the N54 and so far so good.

It's way much faster then my old DS211j wished I'd bought one months ago.

Soldato
USB Stick edition:

1) (DOWNLOAD THE FILES)
Download the following files:
DS3612xs_4.2-3211_x64_Microserver-20130612.img
DS3612xs_4.2-3211_x64_Microserver-20130612.pat
Use this link to download the files:
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B_Edi7OdbFZla2NPa3MtNkFia3c&usp=sharing

save them both to your desktop

----------------------------------------------------------------------

2) DOWNLOAD THE IMAGER
Download Win32 Disk Imager from here:

http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/Win32-Disk-Imager-Download-173006.html

save this to your desktop and decompress the file to a folder

3) SETUP THE USB STICK
Insert a USB stick into your PC and launch the Win32DiskImager, select the .img file, select the USB drive and then click on write

N3NnF0W.jpg

4) LOAD IT UP
Once completed, remove the USB stick and insert it in the microserver, ensure you are booting from the USB stick and let it load, give it at least 5 minutes for everything to load up, there will be a load of lines of text etc.. (trust me give it at least 5 minutes) – (I am running this headless – without a screen)

5) SYNOLOGY ASSISTANT
From a PC connected on the same network, launch the following site:

http://find.synology.com/#

(this is the sinology web assistant)

This should find your HP microserver, when found (remove your USB stick from the microserver (yes whilst it still on), once removed - click on connect:
fWHH0tM.jpg
(default login is ‘admin’ and no password) – of course change this as you wish

(also keep note of the I.P. address)

6) ADDING THE .PAT FILE
Now you will need to configure your microserver, follow the on screen instructions:

You will be prompted to select the default .pat file or to select your own, choose the latter option and browse to your desktop and select the DS3612xs_4.2-3211_x64_Microserver-20130612.pat file.
At this stage you can also set up your hard drives, i.e. the raid configuration you would like (select the manual option) or it will set it up as raid 5 as default (depending on how many drives you have)

7) RESTART & CONFIG
Once done, you will be prompted to restart, shut down and reinsert your USB stick back in the microserver and restart the microserver, wait a couple of minutes and open your browser on the PC and in the address bar type in the IP address, enter your user / pass and login

8) CONFIGURATION / HDD HIBERNATION
Click on Start and follow the wizard or select ‘control panel’ and manually select your config:
8YAuRMq.jpg

under control panel / hardware / HDD hibernation / select the spindown time for your hard drives – least is 10 minutes)

IMPORTANT, once you have saved all your settings, remove the USB stick from the microserver, this needs to be done to let the hard drives spin down, with the USB stick in the drives do no spin down (a bug)

Just remember:

When you are booting your microserver, the USB stick needs to be inserted
When you have booted up, remove the USB stick

9) OPTIONAL ADDITIONAL MODULES
If you want to insert additional modules, select ‘terminal’ and enable SSH service, this is optional (I did add additional modules to allow USB etc.. but removed them as I didn’t need them), you will need to download WinSCP and manually copy the required files into the lib/module folder – again optional.

10) ADDITIONAL APPS
ArTbLrx.jpg

You can also select package manager and install a few nifty little add ons, like Antivirus, Audio Station, Cloud Station, ITunes server, Plex, Mobile DS etc…

Have a little play with setting and familiarise yourself with sinology before transferring your files over.

Speeds are fantastic using Synoology, it is 100mb+ both ways :D :
XXzkbd6.jpg

Synology is great using the microserver headless, i.e. without a keyboard / mouse / monitor

enjoy

Soldato
Instead of http://find.synology.com/# just download the synology assistant and you can do a lot more with it.

like what? I tried it previously, logging into the nas web management offers you everything you can configure and is one less thing you would need to install.

I figured it is easier to just use the web assistant as you only really need to use it once to configure.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
The assistant once installed has a Resource Monitor\Photo Up loader\Printer devices you can connect with ect
Also you can use the PC to convert film files for mobile devices ect.

Also synology loves making thumbs.db for each picture so by letting the PC do the hard work makes the server faster.

That's the same port I put at the top of the thread. The Chinese are great at this kind of thing.

Soldato
All those things can be done by the web management (even conversion iirc)

To setup the nas it is more convenient to use the web assistant.

Also try logging into the nas with a mobile device, you have a lot of useful tools / options you can configure, pretty neat stuff

P.S. download station is a powerful tool, well worth looking into

Last edited:
Soldato
You can use that or just via the web management, i.e. enter the nas ip address in your address bar and login (quicker) both do the same thing :)

You mentioned that you can now download at full speed 12.6mb, what are you referring to?

Back
Top Bottom