WoW Legacy Server (if only)

Soldato
Pristine realm sounds great so long as they also get rid of lfg/lfr. Building up a friends list of trusted people to run dungeons with was one of the better social parts of wow. Taking that away really damaged the game for me, you just feel like you are playing a one player.

Associate
Pristine realm sounds great so long as they also get rid of lfg/lfr. Building up a friends list of trusted people to run dungeons with was one of the better social parts of wow. Taking that away really damaged the game for me, you just feel like you are playing a one player.
Totally agree with this.

The social, and accountability aspect, is what I loved about Vanilla. If you were a douche it got around the better guilds very quickly and you were shunned.

Likewise you used to create a good friendlist who you would contact to run dungeons with. UBRS or ZG. Ah good times.

Soldato
Pristine realms sound pointless imo. It's just the current (or Legion, since it'll take them ages) game without a few things.

The things (lfg and cross realm specifically, xp boosts and what not make pretty much no difference since the difference is from a few hours to max to a few days) they talk about removing are part of why WoW is currently poor, but it isn't even close to what most people are asking for. Definitely wouldn't resub if they added this.

Associate

Totally agree with this. I managed to build up a pretty good friend list in my first year of playing and as a result I managed to get into some of the better guilds on Khadgar purely because I knew the right people in game. When they took the friends list away it properly screwed me over because I lost so many contacts for doing dungeons and such.

That was the beginning of the end for me and the current game. Now I'm on a vanilla server and loving having a friends list again.

Man of Honour
That pristine server would still have one of the things which was a major factor in the spoiling of the game. Flying Mounts.

I agree flying really hurt the game. The world feels so small when you can go from side to side in minutes. Not to mention the lack of obstacles so you can just put autorun on and you don't even need to do anything.

Associate
OP
The one thing I think Warlords did right, or even to a lesser extent, MoP, was make flying unavailible until max level + have to work for it. I don't dislike flying, areas like the Storm Peaks, or Icecrown depend on it. I think it should however be a hard earned reward.

As for the pristine realms, it shows that they are listening, but only just. The playerbase are not asking for a slower, self sufficient realm for content as it is. They are asking for the game, as it was then. Even with all the forms of xp boosting turned off, the world itself provides virtually no challenge. There is no sense of danger while questing. No quests that require help from others. You could still do 1-100 smoothly and fairly quickly without interacting with another person.

I hope they continue their talks with the people behind Nostalrius, because they are the ones that truly understand what it was people were looking for in a legacy realm.

Associate
I agree flying really hurt the game. The world feels so small when you can go from side to side in minutes. Not to mention the lack of obstacles so you can just put autorun on and you don't even need to do anything.

Aah the good old days of running everywhere until you got to level 40, then realizing how much the mount and training cost and having to beg/borrow/steal to get one :D

Man of Honour

Flying also killed off what little World PvP there was remaining

Soldato
Aah the good old days of running everywhere until you got to level 40, then realizing how much the mount and training cost and having to beg/borrow/steal to get one :D

My main for many years was a Druid just to get the travel form (after I'd tested out a Shammy for ghost wolf and didn't like it).

Don
Kind of the reaction the rest of us are having to the fact their isnt vanilla or other older expansion realms availible, where do you stand on the choices in the OP?
I would be all over a vanilla realm if one was released, would likely stop playing current.

I can see a very good business reason for doing so, people tend to quit in the run up to a new expansion, so it could keep people paying between now and the new expansion.

Associate
OP
Good to hear that they will be discussing the issue. Hopefully the Nostalrius team + Mark Kern can hammer home the point of a pristine realm not being what was asked for, as its the same end game.

Not that the Pristine realm idea is a bad one, I'm sure it would have its fair share of active users who are there for the current content, now with added sense of community.

Soldato
Lets hope it discussion about Legacy and not this pritstine version. I wouldn't put it past Blizzrard to push this pristine on Nost devs and they succumb to the pressure being picthed it. Nost and the other bloke have to be firm and tell them that we (I do anyway) want untouched Vanilla 1.0 (plus the patches for the bugs we had) to whatever version it ended up being.

Associate
OP
Mark Kerns twitter

So Mark Kern met with the top brass at blizzard, generally seems impressed at how much attention they are giving the whole legacy idea.

He has confirmed that they have not lost the source code for vanilla and likely other expansions, the issue seems mainly on the technical side of things.
Unfortunately we are still left with nothing more than watch this space.

Here are his Twitter posts in order, for those who don't want to scroll down a big list.

First, Blizzard and Mike can make NO PROMISES about legacy servers. But, the amount they have been paying attention is incredible.
But first, how about some pictures of the @NostalBegins petition that YOU GUYS SIGNED, being delivered to Blizzard?
Pic: https://twitter.com/Grummz/status/735979093317931008
I promised you that if the petition hit 200k sigs that I would go to the CEO of Blizzard and deliver the petition. I'm proud to say its done
I was very happy to be able to fulfill my part...the meeting was an extra bonus, and I can say I'm happy. No promises, but we talked about everything you guys brought up. We talked about how there are two fandoms in WoW, classic and new, and both vital.
We talked about how you guys wanted vanilla servers, as they were, with few or little changes, esp no LFR stuff etc. We talked about the surveys and how you guys would absolutely support a vanilla CE with physical and digital goods. We talked about how I felt bringing a core "first-gen" audience of WoW players would help even the current-gen WoW.
We talked about each and every point you guys brought up. And heres the kicker... They KNEW EVERYTHING ALREADY. Mike and the WoW team has been paying HUGE attention to this issue.
Mike has read all the posts. He's watched all the videos (even mine, lol). He wanted to tell you HE AND WOW TEAM ARE LISTENING SERIOUSLY.
It was a bigger meeting than expected, I was met by SaraLyn Smith, the Gobal Director cf Community Development who joined us, she took copious notes during the meeting as Mike and I talked about you guys, the passion for vanilla, etc.
The WoW Team and Mike are paying extremely close attention to this and wanted to let you guys know they are paying a lot of attention.
Also, they were very enthusiastic about meeting the @NostalBegins team. Mike was super impressed with what they and MaNGOS have accomplished
Mke and the WoW team are eager to meet with @NostalBegins and to learn about how they overcame technical issues and got things running.
I can confirm: They have NOT LOST THE SOURCE CODE. But the technical issues are more complicated than that.
Mike and I talked about the technical challenges and I agree that for Blizzard, the challenge is greater than just throwing up a server.
Mike and WoW are committed to a very high level of qualty and polish. That makes everything more complicated when considering legacy.
Mike and the WoW team want to LISTEN to @NostalBegins perspective on vanilla and the technical issues they faced.
Mike says there are no easy solutions to this, but that they are listening very intently and following everything you guys say.
Mike and WoW team are also eager to meet with @NostalBegins and recognized they are GOOD GUYS with PASSION and they love that.
So to sum up, while they can make no promises, they are going to continue to think and regroup and be in LISTEN mode to you guys.
Finally, I'd like to share a pic that shows Mike and I still have a sense of humor after all these years...
Pic: https://twitter.com/Grummz/status/735985921539985409
Look, Blizzard made no promises, but my personal belief is that the level of attention they gave this is incredible and I'm more hopeful. Blizzard is going to have an extensive meeting with @NostalBegins to go over technical details and their perpsective
Now that you know they are listening so closely. Don't stop asking for it, don't stop making suggestions. @NostalBegins
You need to show Blizzard that this isn't just nostagia a one time thing. Get organized, have a Blizzcon group with T-shirts. @NostalBegins
Before, I put our changes at 50/50. My personal belief, is that our chances are higher now. Again, PERSONAL belief. @NostalBegins
Short follow up I thought was important:
Question from @kxmode1: Also did you get the sense Mike was genuinely interested in Legacy servers, or was it more like polite courtesy?
Answer: Serious interest. No way was it just polite. But...lots of issues they have to consider and no promises.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom