CS:GO Discussion

Caporegime
Is CS:GO any good for someone that was a 1.6 addict? After 1.6 died I didn't bother with Source as it was so bad and switched to other games, but after watching a couple of youtube vids I really miss 1.6! Will playing CS:GO make me feel better? :(

Not in my experience no. It's quite a different game, and not a patch on 1.6 as far as this old gamer is concerned.

Associate
FWIW I feel the exact opposite!

Played CS for many years from 0.6 beta, and after finding Source a *not great game* when it came out, stopped playing. GO has rekindled the magic and I have put 600 hours into it over the last 1.5 years :)

Associate
i agree with concrete, i stopped playing when 1.6 died because source was utter garbage, but a friend told me about csgo and we've been playing ever since. I watch some of our old clan movies from the 1.6 days and man does it look old :)

the only thing we miss is the crazy wallbangs which as we all know used to be so much fun in <1.6, but unfortunately now its far harder to do due to the reduced penetration values of most guns.

my advice to anyone would be give it a go, catch it on a sale day and its like £6? so the worst thatll happen is you give up after a few DM games.

Associate
If anyone is up for some games add me :) I've joined the group and added myself onto the google doc. I'm losing the will with solo queueing and being stuck at silver 1.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/djtidus
http://csgo-stats.com/djtidus/

you are welcome to play with us but if you are proper silver skill i cant promise the other guys wont take the p*ss :) (in a nice way)

not that we are pro or anything but we arent silver1.

We'd have to get a full 5 to play together at the mo, because there is more than a 5 rank gap between us. (we are LE).

otherwise stick at it and get yourself ranked up abit so you can join us anytime.

add me .../tedrodgers on steam.

cheers

Associate
Ha ha sadly I am Silver one I've not played a lot of competitive think I'm only rank 18, when I do play I tend to be be at the top or towards the top of my team with a positive K/D.

Associate
Shouldn't imagine you'll be stuck at it long then. Just enjoy yourself while you can!

Are there any Eagles to smfc's on here that I haven't already played with? If so feel free to add me using the thing in my sig.

Think I'm 1 more win away from Smfc now and that makes me scared to queue with out a 5 man lol

Associate
I'm tempted to give this a go.

Started playing cs in 2000 with a 56k modem, gave up after 1.6

Can somebody explain this rank stuff, I played in clans before. Are public servers still basically deathmatch with 12 year-old swearing over voice. Or are things better?

Caporegime
Can somebody explain this rank stuff, I played in clans before. Are public servers still basically deathmatch with 12 year-old swearing over voice. Or are things better?

You get xp for playing and level up and get a pretty new badge on your profile when you do, thats pretty much it.

And yes public servers are rubbish, use the cvar to automute all players when joining a server, I'd suggest using it.

eg
PHP:
bind "F11" "voice_enable 0"
bind "F12" "voice_enable 1"

Soldato
Rank is there to give some cost experience to an account before they can enter competitive.
You have to go through some levelling up before you get to best part of csgo which is the comp mode.

I dont often play casual but I tried yesterday and there was several wallhack which is a more subtle thing, maybe beatable. Then somebody called out the top guy as quite blatant and he turned on the aimbot part of his software also and headshot 6 people spread across the map in under a second. At least he was honest about it I guess.
So he was a rank 2 trying to get into rank 3, so he can go comp mode. If he gets to global grade in comp someone will pay him for the account and he'll start over again.
I did report and block him, in theory at rank 2 he'll get fast tracked for a ban after review but not sure how well that works at the moment. Over 90% of cases I see are now quite obvious, I think its saturated and I read there is a bypass possible but Im not sure. Valve in theory are trying to improve the system by tying it to mobile phone numbers. I dont know that'll work but if some kind of filter was possible when searching for a match it could be they stumble across an improvement

Started playing cs in 2000 with a 56k modem
I used to play after work late, on a 56k modem on the new york servers using aol free dial up. The netcode is much different now I think. Used to be lowest ping invalidated any other shots taken but now they try to match each player equally.
The old campers advantage is no longer, I remember an old server which would slap players out of position if they stood still for 5 seconds. Now the game has some built in disadvantage if you are last to move

i agree with concrete, i stopped playing when 1.6 died because source was utter garbage,

Played CS for many years from 0.6 beta, and after finding Source a *not great game* when it came out, stopped playing.

Not in my experience no. It's quite a different game, and not a patch on 1.6 as far as this old gamer is concerned.

Actually I never liked 1.6 compared to the first beta versions, I know some people just never upgraded from Beta as after it went retail it was full of idiots :p never planting the bomb etc
I liked source beta most from that era (later source got much worse), you could roll a barrel down a staircase as people rushed up it (aztec). You could close a door and push a table to block it (italy) so they couldnt rush without firing a lot of AK through it and the good thing about source was that FF was turned on for most servers and 1.6 that was rare.
I didnt like the csgo demo maybe for the same reasons, it is different but the core game is there.
Beta was my favourite tbh as we played a new map every week pretty much. The server always had admin on it, most servers did and we had 3rd party anti cheat clientside like esea but it was 'free' and updated every week. punkbuster, battlefield had it also I think

For most people who never originally played set CS games in a league or ladder or had ESEA or similar on the original, CSGO is the best version of CS because anyone can easily join a proper game without needing to be in a clan or team with rules and practise sessions, pay the server fees for a year and all that stuff that some did have going back in 1.6 for competetive play.

Soldato
Lol - terrible game overall - we lost, but strung it out for one more round with this ninja defuse.

Thanks to the smoke from the Terrorist team!! lol

Soldato
Its the headshots that does it, dont get those and it does nothing same with bizon except that has no accuracy to it

Its so awful solo queuing for a game, I dont want to derank but seriously that is how to do it just throw yourself into the mm mix and mostly its chaos.
2 derankers on our side and even if they got a month for grief its not really enough as they waste more time then that for the other people in games they are in.

I added you Rochie for times theres 4 in a lobby needing 1 more. I dont ever drag people into my solo queue because its russian roulette :p

Last edited:
Associate
After years of being pestered to play CS I finally caved and started playing this. Really enjoying it when playing with friends (solo queuing is deathly)

Played my 10 comp games playing only Dust 2 and Mirage as its the only two I currently know, trying to learn cache callouts at the mo. Ranked in at GN3 after 10 wins and got promoted to GNM after another two wins.

Not taking things too seriously and just trying to enjoy learning the game a bit. If anyone ever wants a game then my steam ID is TheOneJat :)

Associate
Its the headshots that does it, dont get those and it does nothing same with bizon except that has no accuracy to it

Its so awful solo queuing for a game, I dont want to derank but seriously that is how to do it just throw yourself into the mm mix and mostly its chaos.
2 derankers on our side and even if they got a month for grief its not really enough as they waste more time then that for the other people in games they are in.

I added you Rochie for times theres 4 in a lobby needing 1 more. I dont ever drag people into my solo queue because its russian roulette :p

Solo Queuing is a special kind of hell, sometimes you get lucky and get a full team on mics but most the time you get a team who all rush one bomb site as CT, spend the entire game trying to kick each other or randomly knifing team mates after buying.

Back
Top Bottom