Waitrose Group Interview

Permabanned
Well i got one lined up soon. Obviously I'm going in a suit, and i need 3 forms of identity, thats easy enough. But what am i to expect. First thing that strikes me as odd is 'group' interview, or is it an interview at the Waitrose group. It's supposed to take 2 hours, which also seems odd, as the interviews i had for RAF Pilot selection weren't even that long! Anyone been to one? Anyone hold them?

Permabanned
Prepare for team building exercises. The worse part is that there's about 10 members of staff with clipboards all standing around taking notes on how you fare. The problem lies in the fact that you don't know which staff member is actually taking notes on how your "team" performs! It could just as easlily be the one right the way across the other side of the room as the one standing right next to you.

Associate
if its anything like the john lewis group interviews it will be team building type excercises and stuff. and someone will be sat watching and analysing your progress

Soldato
**** that. I'd only attend a group interview if it was for a damn good job. But for 'shop monkey'? Forget it.

Sir Terry Leahy the CEO of Tesco started his career as a "shop Monkey".

Last year his basic salary was £12.5 million not to mention the fortune in shares he has.

My mother also started her career as a shop monkey. She is now a store manager and takes home 160k including benefits.

Put the effort in to whatever job you go for. No matter how tedious you deem it to be. A suit is always a good option.

Permabanned
OP
Well, i really want any sort of job for the summer, and this one will be nearing on £6 an hour, which is good considering i have no real qualifications yet. And i need the work experience on my C.V. I'm still applying for other jobs and 2 hours is hardly a lot of time.

Soldato
In fairness, Waitrose has a pretty good reputation as far as jobs like this go. It will certainly be a very different environment to your local Tesco.

I recently worked at M&S, so I have a pretty good idea what it will be like. I really despise the way they try and program your behavior and make you jump through their hoops. For a decent job it's worth selling your soul, but for a summer job? I'd keep looking - no way I'd spend an afternoon humiliating myself just for a -chance- to be considered.

Associate
Got to remember once i get a job there (if i do), if there is a Waitrose at my uni (if i get in), i can transfer my job, which can only be useful.
It's worth it even if it's just for the experience. Many of the bigger employers use similar group exercises in their interview processes, so it's worth getting the practice in now, so that once you've got through uni and want to move onto a good career, you've had a bit of preparation.

I would suggest thinking about internships / work experience relating to your career of choice during the longer holidays while at uni, but having Waitrose on the side will do you no harm to say the least.

[EDIT: And I've just realised I haven't really added to your initial question. I can't comment on the exact kind of thing you'll be facing, but if it's a group exercise then bear in mind some of the obvious things - get involved, and speak up, but make sure you don't trample the other people there to get yourself heard. Attempting to bring other, quieter people into the discussion (if it's that kind of thing) always wins brownie points, and if it's a timed task, keep an eye on the time so you can keep your group focussed. So often in these exercises no one thinks of that, and all of a sudden time runs out...

In terms of how to present yourself, you can't go wrong with a suit and tie (but nothing too bright / crazy design) if you own them.]

Last edited:
Associate
I wouldn't go in a suit tbh. For my tesco interview a few years ago they actually had me down on the shop floor stacking shelves for 15 minutes during the interview lol 'role familiarisation' or some BS..

Back
Top Bottom