32GB or 16GB

Soldato
16gb is too much for gaming really. Mine uses just over 8gb at most on bf4. So no 0 performance increase from 16 to 32gb unless you actually utilise over 16gb which you will not do while gaming.

Associate
It depends entirely on what else you have running at the same time :)

I'm someone who likes to have 10-15+ tabs open on chrome whilst simultaneously having skype, steam, torrent program running etc. I also sometimes watch shows in increments rather than all at once so I'd have MPC open in the background, so loading a game up with all that going on and my 16GB soon fills up.

Associate
16gb is too much for gaming really. Mine uses just over 8gb at most on bf4. So no 0 performance increase from 16 to 32gb unless you actually utilise over 16gb which you will not do while gaming.
Are you counting disc cache in that? Windows will happily use as much RAM as you can throw at it for that. It doesn't have any effect while playing, but it can reduce loading times a bit. It might make more difference in the future as it is becoming common for games to have well over 16GB in assets.

Associate
Probably not.

From my point of view;
If you have the room and cash for it then why not? It'll come in handy at some point.
Yeah, extra RAM is almost always a win. I went from 8GB to 32GB in my recent X99 upgrade and have seen a huge boost in multi-tasking performance. Get as much RAM as you can comfortably afford imo especially with DDR4 prices on the decline.

Associate
OP
Yeah, extra RAM is almost always a win. I went from 8GB to 32GB in my recent X99 upgrade and have seen a huge boost in multi-tasking performance. Get as much RAM as you can comfortably afford imo especially with DDR4 prices on the decline.

<nods> I multi-task quite a bit, so I'll most likely got 32GB when I do my rebuild next year :D

Associate
32GB is a waste of money for gaming for now, and likely for several years to come given console gaming is the driver for a lot of games and they have much lower RAM than most PCs.

Soldato
It depends entirely on what else you have running at the same time :)

I'm someone who likes to have 10-15+ tabs open on chrome whilst simultaneously having skype, steam, torrent program running etc. I also sometimes watch shows in increments rather than all at once so I'd have MPC open in the background, so loading a game up with all that going on and my 16GB soon fills up.

This. I'm on 8gb currently and my next build will have a minimum of 16gb. maybe 32gb if I can find something interesting to do with the extra like a virtual drive or something or just for that fully populated look.

Soldato
Yeah, especially if it's feature ram with LEDs like the Blitz Original Red I have my eye on. Turns out 32gb is the largest amount you can have on an x99 platform in quad channel, 64gb in single. a limit with the CPU apparently. Glad I stumbled upon that info.

Only thing I'm wondering about now is would having 8 sticks affect the limit of the CPU overclock. It has on my systems in the past. Not sure how things stand these days.

Back
Top Bottom