• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

6700k vs 5820k

Associate
Now, firstly and foremost PRICE IS NOT A RELEVANCY for the CPU.
Basically I am comparing the 6700k to the 5820k, but not due to the cost of the CPU, but motherboards. Due to circumstances both CPU's are cheap, but the motherboards being fairly largely more expensive in the X99 lineup puts me off them, and points me towards the 6700k, as the £60-£80 extra (im looking at the MSI X99A SLI Plus) could be put into another 16gb of ram, or towards the watercooling loop im saving for, or even another GPU.

Any ideas or opinions are appreciated!

Permabanned
I have a 5820k @ 4.625GHz, but am about to build a 6700k rig.

The 6700k rig will be my primary browsing/gaming machine.

Why? Single core performance... I should be able to clock the CPU that little bit higher and the performance per clock is a little higher... also the newer processors have an ability to clock up from standby clockspeeds to full clockspeeds much faster and I notice that lag.

I think the 6700k and Z170A combo is significantly overpriced, however... I'm only doing it because I have the spare cash and fancy a project.

In general... I think the 5820k/X99 combo is much better value for money...

Permabanned
the newer processors have an ability to clock up from standby clockspeeds to full clockspeeds much faster and I notice that lag.

the difference in hundredths of a second.
if you have not yet made the system how do you know.. you know you will notice the difference in lag? there will always be lag unless the core is at 100% all of the time.

Now onto the question in hand. the real world replay to you question is the
*6700k is a faster cpu.
*5820k as more grunt because of the 2 extra cores.

IF you will fully task all cares then get the 5820k, IF you will not be fully tasking all cores and want a system that is faster in single cores performance get the 6700k
There is not a lot of things that will fully load 12 threads.

Associate
Personally I wouldn't buy skylake, because 6700k is just too overpriced and too short on PCIe lanes for the price.

Yes I know z170 has loads of PCIe lanes, but then DMI is the limiting factor.

Soldato
Personally I wouldn't buy skylake, because 6700k is just too overpriced and too short on PCIe lanes for the price.

Yes I know z170 has loads of PCIe lanes, but then DMI is the limiting factor.

DMI speed is only a factor if you plan to run multiple PCI-E SSD's and transfer data from each of them at the same time - which tbh if you're doing that you need a workstation kind of PC to begin with.

Back
Top Bottom