Using a single keyboard and mouse on multiple PCs

Associate
I've been searching around the forum trying to find an answer to this one, but haven't come up with anything so far.

I'm looking to have my single keyboard and mouse serve two PCs. The idea would be I plug both peripherals into some sort of 'hub', and the hub will then have its outputs connected to two PCs via USB. I would then have the option of switching to a certain output, therefore deciding manually which PC the keyboard and mouse send their output to.

Am I inventing something in my head that doesn't exist, or is there a simple solution out there I just haven't come across yet?

Associate
you can us software to do this. just install the server on the computer with the mouse and keyboard attached and a client on the other and you will be able to use the keyboard and mout from the 'server' on the 'client' as if its just another screen attached to the 'server'

We use Input Director on our monitoring stations at work. Its free and very easy to configure

Don
KVM switch.

Be aware that the basic ones will be PS2 and VGA connections only as they're designed for server use.

What are the machines used for?

If one of them is only used to run tasks now and again, then you could look at Remote Desktop or Teamviewer. (Remote Desktop is only with Windows Pro/Server)

If you're using both of them for things like watching videos, games, photo/video/audio editing, word processing, spreadsheets, then Remote Desktop/Teamviewer won't be suitable. You get basic keyboard and mouse support but it's not like being 'at the machine'

Associate
We used synergy before Input Director.

I dont know if its just the way we set it up but we found that synergy kept disconnecting and we had to plug in a keyboard and mouse into the machine so we could restart it.

Input Director seems a lot more stable.

Associate
I've been looking to do this for a while and came to the conclusion that I couldn't really find a solution. For me, software solutions are out because I won't have both machines powered up at the same time (well, not routinely) and a KVM looks to be out because of my setup.

My setup is a little different to some. I've got a Gaming PC with a 21:9 2560x1080 monitor and an 11" MacBook Air that usually but not always uses the 21:9 screen as the second monitor.

In the end after several hours of looking I usually just give up and put it off for another few months. Would be nice to clear up the desk a bit though. At the moment I've got a MS Sidewinder X6 for the gaming PC, an Apple keyboard for the MBA and an Amiga A1200. All takes up a lot of space!

Back
Top Bottom