Desktop Wireless?!

Soldato
Hi guys, I've been using my Alienware laptop for the last year, but am going back to a desktop next week. The only problem I have is that I won't be able to use a wired (Ethernet) connection so can you guys suggest the best wifi dongle I should get?! I'll be online gaming too if that makes a difference!

Many thanks.

Associate
If you want best possible wireless connection then use a high gain directional antenna pointed directly at the router. A good one will set you back £30-£40 You'll then need an adapter that has a RP-SMA connector, like this one:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/tp-l...wireless-dual-band-usb-adaptor-nw-141-tp.html

or pretty much any PCI/PCI-E card but you'll then need a nice length of cable.

I'm assuming it will remain static being a desktop so you can fix it down when you get a strong signal.

Of course powerline is the better option as suggested if possible.

Soldato
Powerlines over wifi almost all the time for desktop/gaming. Or just when direct wired connection to the gateway isn't possible.

Wifi only for convenience and mobile devices which obviously don't do wired connections.

Soldato
I use the TP-LINK Archer T4U AC1200. I haven't noticed any difference to the powerline connection I had before it. I don't game though. Ping is under 10ms too. No complaints here.

My router isn't too far. about 4m away in the next room. Asus rt56u.

Back
Top Bottom