• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Associate
I just don't really understand why AMD rep is saying , the GPU cannot be burnt ? Lot of users are reporting this "feature" unfortunately. I do understand about VRM and GPU protection in bios but this driver seems like completely turn it off in some cases.

Associate
Well, i am not sure if this has been posted already but please be caution with this driver. The Fan controller is broken , it may damage your GPU. https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/3ulemo/the_new_drivers_bug_where_the_fans_dont_work/ Lot of people reporting the same issue. https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/3ua7xj/psa_crimson_will_lock_your_fan_speed_when/

Oh, someone bring this unreasonable panic here. The problem with fans and frequencies was widely known right from the drivers launch.
Looks like kids this days don't know what throttling is about.

There was no proofs of burnt card.
My 290x was in throttling for two month(MSI's thermal grease degraded) when I was on the long voyage.
And two times one of the fans doesn't start for no reason - card throttle up to 300Mhz.
280x is very cold card, never goes higher than 70 degree under max load.

For me author of initial postlooks like kid who did something wrong and blame AMD for his fault.
First he wrote post at AMD reddit. When peoples were critical about his statement, he said that some spanish forums reported same problem. No link to those forums.
Then he went to /r/pcmasterrace and post news about this problem with his post as a source.
Seems like most of the folks don't check proofs nowadays.
But seeds fall on fresh soil of fan spinning problem(I saw no answer from AMD about the problem in 3 days after release).
And now we have what we have.

Greedia really burn it's old GPUs with 314 drivers.
AMD fell in dirt due to it's unreasonable ignorance.
And lack of testing. Fixing post-processing artefacts for 7970/280x since april till Crimson release? Are you serious, that's how you support TOP-tier cards?

And yes, summer driver update with 30+ performance gains was awesome.
And I like Radeon Software, I really do. AMD must have use QT instead of bloody C# from the beginning.

Also, AMDMatt. How about manual search button for first games scan after driver installation?
1. For me non of the "detected" Steam games profiles work. But manual profiles do.
2. I don't like big list of profiles. Also many peoples report slow work of driver/system after driver installation because of search process.

Last edited:
Soldato
The card will throttle down to 2D clocks if needed to prevent damage.

Can't answer this yet I'm afraid Pete.

Matt help me out dude, give me a time frame for a new driver with some fixes, i'm trying as hard as i can to hold on to these cards with the hope that they really start to shine, but it seems there's always something.

My patience is running out, need something.

Soldato
Matt help me out dude, give me a time frame for a new driver with some fixes, i'm trying as hard as i can to hold on to these cards with the hope that they really start to shine, but it seems there's always something.

Driver monday

We are aware of low fan speed reports on select GPUs with Radeon Software Crimson Edition. We intend to publish a hotfix on Monday.

https://twitter.com/AMDRadeon/status/671058196547706880

Associate
I personally have not run into a single issue with Crimson, i have never touched the fan speed in Overdrive and AB has never been on my Windows 10 install.

There you go. Do people realise that all of you having issues with fans or clocks have a frikkin afterburner installed? Do you see the pattern?

Caporegime
OP

Just roll back to the previous driver mate as you indicated that was fine. Hotfix should be out tonight.

Soldato
There you go. Do people realise that all of you having issues with fans or clocks have a frikkin afterburner installed? Do you see the pattern?

Matt indicated in his post it's more to do with opening Overdrive, which then defaults to specific fan speed rather than default as it should.
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=28879642&postcount=9078
Don't think it's got anything to do with Afterburner, except possibly that people who are going into Overdrive to change the speeds of their card are more likely to have Afterburner installed?

I've got Afterburner and Crimson installed, but seeing as I'm using Afterburner to control my GPU fan speeds I haven't been touched by this bug personally.

Associate
Well AB can exacerbate issues but i would not conclude that without AB users will not have issues depending on the setup.

I remember I used to have quite a few issues with fiji or 290x when afterburner was installed. Fan controller was acting weird, and clocks were all over the place. This was happening way before crimson drivers.
I'm just saying 100% of people who have issues with clocks, have afterburner installed, since afterburner riva tuner bit is the only way to actually see ingame clocks ;) I don't have afterburner installed, and have no issues whatsoever in all the games I play currently.

Back
Top Bottom