A Window To Wales

Soldato
If you're on 10mm ID, I can recommend the Barrow black cord (available on the bay). It's 9.5mm diameter so it's not so snug that you're going to get it stuck in after the bend but it's not so loose that you get the bend collapsing and flattening. The blue Monsoon one was far too small.

Associate
OP
Yeah Monsoon use imperial sizes don't they? That's what was worrying me, accidentally end up buying metric tubing and imperial fittings! Was also looking at Barrow fittings, any idea if their fittings & cord are a good fit with the EK PETG tubing?

Soldato
The Barrow stuff I've used so far has been top notch. The only fitting I had any trouble with was the one I dropped onto a stone patio and chipped the paint :mad: still sealed fine though!
I don't really know about the sizing of their hard tube compressions fittings - they do quote in mm though and they're not American so it's likely metric. I believe that EK are likely to be metric too.

I did get one of their soft tube compression fittings to try but haven't used it - not because the quality was bad or the look....just because it wouldn't fit in my limited space. The soft tube compressions are short but stubby - if you were looking for a short fitting they'd be great but my restriction was width.

Associate
OP
Cracking news, will order a few fittings when the case arrives and check em out. Was planning on using soft tubing for the hidden bits but the more I think about it the more I'm siding with using it to practice with the hard tube... :)

Soldato
Barrow fittings are metric, as are EK. In fact, I think it's only Monsoon who are still imperial.

I have a couple of Barrow fittings too and they're top notch - essentially the same OEM as Bitspower but without the crazy logo all over the place.

Soldato
Barrow fittings are metric, as are EK. In fact, I think it's only Monsoon who are still imperial.

I have a couple of Barrow fittings too and they're top notch - essentially the same OEM as Bitspower but without the crazy logo all over the place.

Yeah they seem pretty solid man (Barrow). I bought some extenders and they're lovely.

Associate
OP
Awesome, looks like I'll be grabbing a few off the 'bay ready to plumb the bottom 2 radiators in then. Cheers guys :)

Soldato
Any reason you went for these rather than the 12 62 180s that E22 and Shakmods sell?

Yes :D Most of the common pins need about 3mm of insulation stripped so that you get the insulation crimped in the outer wings but don't end up with too much wire going past the end of the inner wings. I had a little chat with Knipex - they're very helpful actually - and as stated in the description the ones sold by E22 (12 62 180) won't let you set the depth-stop shorter than 6mm. The 12 40 200's go down to 2.8mm and have an adjustment wheel for fine tuning the strip. I was in two minds as to whether this was a good thing or a bad thing - the 12 42 195's are very similar but about £20 more and don't require the adjustment wheel. As they come out the box, I've been able to strip 18, 22, 24 & 26 AWG without adjustment. The only time I had to adjust it was when I stripped a strip of three fan wires together. I could have just stripped them individually but a quick adjustment let me be lazy. I'm not sure if the more expensive one would have stripped all three without adjustment....but the way I look at it is, it works nicely and I've saved £20 :D

Soldato
Well fair enough then!

I was sure the E22 ones could strip 3mm though. Will have to look into it myself when I take the plunge and do custom wires for Asteria II.

In about a thousand years time at this rate :p

Soldato
I sort of wanted to assume they would - otherwise why would E22 be recommending them. Knipex say not though. My guess is that they're close enough with a trim and are £25 cheaper so more likely to sell. I do a fair amount of other wire work so I could (almost) justify it...and I've got a lot more of the damn things to go yet!

Associate
OP
Cheers Mads, it's a bit more standard than your current build but still hoping I can do it justice, more pressure not to balls it up when they've custom designed it for ya!

Will definitely be keeping a close eye on Kinetic Energy for ideas to 'borrow' but hoping I'll manage to come up with a few new ideas myself, as long as the coffee doesn't run out :D

Associate
OP
BREAKING NEWS: THE DRAGON HAS ENTERED THE BUILDING! :D

No, the misses and/or mother is not stood behind me, this lovely chunk of redness, the beast for the middle of the flag, was just hand delivered by Jeff, the best fake Santa that DPD possess :)

The most exciting of photos first... THE BOX!
IMG_20160922_120631.jpg

Mounting hardware. Only one thing bothered me here - Why include white LED's when 99% of people buying the red block will be using red LED's? A small oversight, but a bit of a daft one.
IMG_20160922_120708.jpg

Now for a few of the actual block...
IMG_20160922_120724.jpg

Must admit I was worried about the colour as it doesn't look that nice on the website. Luckily I was worrying over nothing, it looks waaaay better in person than on the site and I hope these photos show just how much more of a deep red it actually is!
IMG_20160922_120820.jpg

One of the main reasons I chose the XSPC apart from the design and colour? I'll be rotating the block 180°, and with this block / mounting hardware the writing & logos can be kept the correct way up. A small touch, but a nice one :D
IMG_20160922_120843.jpg

Meant to turn the block upside down for this one. Forgot. Muppet.
IMG_20160922_120910.jpg

The parts I've managed to accumulate so far,...
2 x XSPC RX360 radiators
2 x Monsoon pump covers
1 x Aqua Computer D5
6 x Akasa Piranha fans
3 x Phanteks fans (from old case)
1 x Corsair fan (probably won't be used)
3 x Monsoon 90° fittings
1 x Monsoon 45° fitting
1 x Aqua Computer RGB LED module
1 x Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut
Numerous Monsoon MMRS reservoir parts, heatsink for M.2, plugs for rad / res ports, fan extensions etc
IMG_20160922_121832.jpg

Soooo, not a single actual component or a case to put any of it in, but getting there slowly :)

Associate
OP
So, it's another minuscule update... Sorry guys, told you it was gonna be a slow one! :D

Ordered an insert ready for when the bending commences (before I forgot what Cenedd told me to get!), and some of the Barrow fittings I'll be needing, just to see what the quality is like before ordering even more...

IMG_20160928_102131.jpg

Must say, first impressions are very good. Nice packaging, decent quality, fair pricing and looks wise they're bang on, with no stupidly massive logos plastered all over them :)

IMG_20160928_102455.jpg

IMG_20160928_102425.jpg

But on to the main question: How do the blood red ones look when used as the eyes of the beast? I'm going with 'very well', but make your own judgements on that one from the photo's below :)

IMG_20160928_103002.jpg

Tubing going into these will be Pastel Ice White, with all tubing 12mm PETG. Reckon it should look pretty nice with the block lit by red LED's and the whole case subtly lit (HOPEFULLY!) with light boxes :D

IMG_20160928_102942.jpg

Soldato
Not a bad match. Block is a little more scarlet and the fittings a bit more...er...cherry? (I'm a guy, we do red, blue, black. None of this fushia, puce, mushroom stuff!) But pretty close - certainly not going to look out of place. Otherwise you could try green of you want to mix it up - doesn't need to match the red then...just the flag!

Associate
OP
Haha yeah, the one red is definitely slightly more that sort of red, while the different red is a bit more different red than the first type of red... Any women care to jump in and help?! :D

I reckon once the block has the LED's in the glow / glare they provide will make it barely noticeable unless you go looking for it. That's the hope anyway :)

Associate
OP
Right, it's looking like finding decent quality green LED fans is going to be impossible (I need 2 for the front intake) so I might have to look at making some myself...
Anyone know how easy / difficult it would be to replace the LED's in one of these with green ones, as these would look perfect if only they were available in green
Any tips would be greatly appreciated before I murder a couple of fairly expensive fans :)

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Back
Top Bottom