Bluetooth Speakers for in-car use

Associate
Hey there folks.

Last time I posted, I wanted a pair of good headphones for use on the PC at home. On the recommendations of folks here, I previously ended buying the AKG K702, which have done me well (only downside is they can't beat the previous Hyper X Cloud for comfort). And of course it's still going good (should do since it cost well over a hundred quid!). So I look to your wisdom for another problem that needs solving. I tend to drive listening to the music on my smartphone. I tend to use in-ear phones for that, and the ones that came with my smartphone are decent. But... they can be fiddly to use, god help me if they fall off while I'm driving. I used to wear Audio-Technika ATH-M30x with my previous phone when out and about walking, but I feel it's just not appropriate whilst driving.

So I'm asking what's the best solution for playing the music on my phone? The built-in system on the car is a tape-recorder (in 2016..., granted it's a rather old model car), so the only thing I can think of is bluetooth speakers. But which ones?

They must be able to deal with the car engine, noise-level wise (though I did find that the ATH-M30x could easily do that).

Or is it just fine to wear the Audio Technika overear headphones whilst in the car? I want to stay safe, but still be able to enjoy good music on my drives to and from work.

Soldato
Seeing as it's illegal to drive while wearing headphones, why don't you get a blue tooth adapter for your stereo?
If you have an aux input you can plug one into that, otherwise you can get an FM transmitter that will do the same - you just tune your radio to the correct channel.

Kei

Kei

Soldato
Why not just replace the head unit with one that offers bluetooth streaming? I've done that in my car which also had tape and cd changer. You can get a half sensible alpine, kenwood, pioneer or sony unit for under £100. It should output directly to the speakers that are already in the car too. Generally it's not too hard a job to swap the units and if the wiring loom in the car isn't ISO, you can usually get an adaptor. You also have the choice between double din and single which is the overall height of the unit and units that are mechless. (designed around usb and bluetooth only with no cd support)

Headphones or IEMs in a car IMO are dangerous, though in principal, no worse than someone playing music so loud they can't hear anything outside.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Seeing as it's illegal to drive while wearing headphones

Really? I've seen a large number of people driving with headphones on the road and I've never gotten stopped by the Coppers for it. I thought it was only against the law to use your phone whilst driving, not have earbuds/headphones on.

Why not just replace the head unit with one that offers bluetooth streaming? I've done that in my car which also had tape and cd changer.

Thing is, it's not my car (it's my dad's, he insisted I use it and not buy my own car) and we might be getting rid of it soon. But that would have been my plan, if it had been my own car. I've generally not had many problems with not being able to hear important things. It's not loud enough driving around normal roads and I still hear the car noises when putting it on louder on the motorways.

Soldato
Soldato
I didn't think that wearing headphones was an offence in itself. It's just one of the million and one things that the police can decide qualify as driving without due care and attention.

Just touching your phone, to change tracks for example, probably would be an actual offence.

If you search for 'Bluetooth cassette adapter' they do exist. They'll be some loss of quality, but it's an option.

Last edited:
Soldato
I didn't think that wearing headphones was an offence in itself. It's just one of the million and one things that the police can decide qualify as driving without due care and attention.

I think you are right, it isn't an offence in itself but will be covered by driving without due care and attention - plus if you have an accident the insurance company won't pay out.

Associate
OP
Clearly not. Driving with headphones on is utterly mental.

Lol, that's not the worst of it. I'm a speedy (and therefore risky) driver, to the point that I know it myself. Though I do find that I can't be bothered to overtake people when they go slow... that's the only saving grace. It used to be that I only drove on long journey's on the motorways, so music was a way of passing the time whilst having to do a couple hours on the M4.

I'll try and see if I can get some sort of bluetooth in-car thingy, but I've no idea what to choose or where to really go looking for one.

Back
Top Bottom