Need a Gaming Headset - Then look here first

Caporegime
*********** WORK IN PROGRESS *************

A lot of the info has been taken from this thread

http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad...e-4-17-2014-akg-k612-and-k712-pro-added-edits

TOP CHOICES (for quick reference)

Guide:

Green = Amp not needed
Orange = Benefits from an Amp
Red = Amp is essential

Competitive (Main Use - FPS Gaming):

<£50

£50-£100

AD700 - second hand only
HD 595 - second hand only

£100-£150

AD700x - newer version of AD700
PC360 - built in mic
HD598
K612 Pro

£150-£200

K701
Q701

>£200

SRH1840
SR-407
ESP-950

Fun (Main Use: Movies/Music):

<£50

HTF600

£50-£100

£100-£150

£150-£200

Fidelio X1 - Compatible with V Moda Boom Pro

>£200

MDR MA900

D7000
LCD-2
DT990
Mad Dog v.3.2
HE-400
Alpha Dog
K702 65th Anniversary Edition
K712 Pro

All-rounders (for both uses):

<£50

Koss Porta Pro
Koss KSC75
HD201
Creative Aurvana Live

£50-£100

Creative Aurvana Live 2

£100-£150

DT770
AKG K612 PRO

£150-£200

Fidelio X1 - Compatible with V Moda Boom Pro

>£200

D7000
LCD-2
Alpha Dog
HE-400
K702 65th Anniversary Edition
K712 Pro
MrSpeakers Mad Dog v.3.2
DT990
ESP-950

Microphones

DX Clip on Mic - £1.50 delivered (2 week lead time)
Speedlink Spes Clip-On Microphone - £8

Both the above mics are very very good no need to buy anything more expensive unless you fancy an all in one like the v moda boom pro or are a streamer, then you can look into more expensive options of your own accord the above are more than enough for the average gamer.

Why are Gaming Headsets often said to be inferior to regular headphones?

In general, headphones (especially "audiophile" or "hi-fi" headphones) tend to have better sound quality than your typical gaming headsets. This is due to a number of reasons, such as: a design more focused on maximizing sound quality instead of maximizing stylish "gaming" looks, an Open Vs. Closed design (most gaming headsets are closed), and simply having more experience at designing headphones than gaming headset companies.

What about multi-driver "true surround sound" headphones? Aren't they better?

No. Multi-driver headphones make use of tiny drivers with inferior performance to larger stereo (dual driver) headphones. A better route is a good pair of stereo headphones with a good virtual surround DSP.

Do I need an amp?

That depends on your headphone. All headphones will benefit from an amp, but some benefit more. Those are usually higher ohm OR lower sensitivity headphones.

Will headphone X be a huge improvemet for competitve gaming over the AD700?

Probably not. HD800s or SR009 are probably the very best headphones, but nothing is going to be that much of an improvement for competitive gaming over the AD700s.
Your NOT going to keep getting competitive improvements as you go up in price. The main improvements your going to get are a more immersive sound (fuller weighter sound, better bass). Sometimes a more immersive sound counteracts a competitive focused sound though. Part of the reason the AD700 works so well for soundwhoring is because it sounds bright and bass light (counteracts immersion though).
So if your looking for the very best headphone for competitve gaming, just get an AD700. Or get an HD800. Everything in between the two will offer improvements to immersion, but not really improvements for simple competitive sound whoring. If your willing to trade a little competitive ability for a more immersive and enjoyable sound (and a more audiophile headphone that will be better with music), then you should look at more immersive headphones.

What traits make for a good competitive gaming headphone?

A non-bassy heavy signature, emphasis on mids and highs to bring out details like footsteps, and a large and accurate sounding soundstage...

What traits make for a good immersive gaming headphone?

Dat Bass...

Should I get a mixamp if I'm gaming on PC?

No, probably not. Devices like the Mixamp are mainly recommended for consoles. For PC's a better solution is an internal soundcard.

Last edited:
Soldato
Good-oh. Tidy the formating up a bit and get a mod to sticky it. Job done.

maybe link Mad Lust Envy too, seemingly most people dont know how to search ;)

Caporegime
OP
I've been really busy today.

I'll sort this out properly tomorrow and edit the OP so it is a lot more detailed, etc, add in all the correct links but it should do for the next 24 hours or so.

Would be happy to add any info that other people can suggest that would be useful.

I'll sort headphones into correct budget ranges too, etc.

I'll mainly be copying stuff from head fi.

Thanks mods.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
It'll be great, if you told us a bit more about the sound and for people less confident what they want. You could also write what genre these headphones are best for, with a small description of the sound. Another thing is the source, not everyone has sound cards/amps/dacs/hybrids or whatever, so a small notice if it needs an amp or not would also be very helpful.

I'll edit this post or write a new one, if I've more ideas..

EDIT:

You could also mention, what type of source (brighter, darker, warmer etc) is best for the specific model of headphones.

Last edited:
Associate
It'll be great, if you told us a bit more about the sound and for people less confident what they want. You could also write what genre these headphones are best for, with a small description of the sound. Another thing is the source, not everyone has sound cards/amps/dacs/hybrids or whatever, so a small notice if it needs an amp or not would also be very helpful.

This is a good idea. It's a good start though and get's people asking in one place. I agree with most of the list although I think some could fit in other categories.

You should add the Shure 1540 to the list too it's the best closed headphone I've heard including the DT770 and D7000 for gaming.

Caporegime
OP

EDIT:

You could also mention, what type of source (brighter, darker, warmer etc) is best for the specific model of headphones.

This is just supposed to be a quick go to guide where if someone wants a pair of headphones for gaming they can come here and see the right one for their use and budget and then just go and buy them. No need for more detailed info than that, if they want more detailed info then they can simply click on the link to MLE's guide and read it there.

Competitive Section = Bass Missing and more suited to competitive FPS gaming for hearing footsteps

Fun Section = Decent Bass and more suited for single player gaming or immersive gaming than competitive gaming

All Rounders = Good for both uses

I'll add that to the above, as well as price ranges and then if they require amping.

Will be 3 types of headphones and I will colour code them to suggest the amping side of things.

Green = no amp required
Orange/Yellow = benefits from an amp
Red = amp is essential

Caporegime
OP
any help is greatly appreciated, this is going to take a while to format, etc.

I will try and do it a bit at a time, rather than all in one as to not bore myself to death.

Ideally I only want to have say 3 headphones in each price bracket within a category at maximum.

Having too much choice can be a bad thing, this is just meant to be a quick guide for reference for newbs.

Therefore I will probably be lacking options in the <£50 range and £50-£100 range but have too many in the other price ranges and need to cut them down to the top 3.

This is a good idea. It's a good start though and get's people asking in one place. I agree with most of the list although I think some could fit in other categories.

You should add the Shure 1540 to the list too it's the best closed headphone I've heard including the DT770 and D7000 for gaming.

what do you think should be in what category?

I'll add DT770 and Shure 1540

what price category do they fall into and do they require an amp or benefit from one?

aaand the HM5.s Excellent entry level mid-fi headphones for music or gaming.

do they require amp? or benefit from one?

where do you think the CAL fits in? all rounders?

Last edited:
Soldato
It's similar to RJK's mechanical keyboard guide. :)

I should be ordering some DT990 Pro (250Ohm) headphones next week as I do like open eared headphones. It lets me hear everything going on around me along with the bonus of a larger sound stage. And when I want total seclusion, the IEM's come out (XBA-H3). :p

Associate
any help is greatly appreciated, this is going to take a while to format, etc.

I will try and do it a bit at a time, rather than all in one as to not bore myself to death.

Ideally I only want to have say 3 headphones in each price bracket within a category at maximum.

Having too much choice can be a bad thing, this is just meant to be a quick guide for reference for newbs.

Therefore I will probably be lacking options in the <£50 range and £50-£100 range but have too many in the other price ranges and need to cut them down to the top 3.

what do you think should be in what category?

what price category do they fall into and do they require an amp or benefit from one?

It's looking good :D

The 1540 do not require an amp but do improve with one so it's not really needed. They can be used for competitive and are also extremely fun. They are Rich, organic with great slam but also surprising detailed. Honestly I may even say they are the best closed all-rounder! although that's a big statement!

I used my Q701 as my main set and find them warmer more fuller then the old K701 so I feel they can be used as an immersive set too.

I think this guide could become really good. Especially if many different people chirp in. MLE has a good guide but it's just one persons opinion.

I like how it's broken down into price and with the colours for amping.

Last edited:
Soldato

DT770 is £100-£150. 80ohm version does not need an amp. As for the Shure 1540, I personally wouldnt include that. Not as good value as the others in that price range or as good as more expensive cans.

HM5s do not need an amp, literally any source is fine for them. They do, however, like every headphone, benefit from an amp.

CAL is definitely all rounder as its a good entry comp headphone but leans more to fun overall in sound signature. I'd stick it in the £0-50 category too, £3 is bugger all.

EDIT: its also worth noting you cant get new AD700s anymore and the AD700x is priced at around £150 normally (occasionally dips to a smidge over £100 on sale though).

Last edited:
Associate
I actually think the SRH1540 is excellent value for a closed back flagship. I prefer it over the D5000, W1000X for example which are more expensive.

I think anyone looking for a headphone that is £450-500 that can double up as one of the best gaming headphones in the closed back category should consider them.

Shure really did a good job here, the 940 was such a fail IMO it seems like they finally picked up from the brilliant 840 and made a headphone that is tough to beat.

Soldato
I genuinely prefer the HiFiMans range for everything at this budget. I think the HE400 (so much <3) and HE500 (Ive not heard them in fairness, but reviews are fantastic) are untouchable at that budget. Admittedly the 1540 is a good closed can, but at that kind of budget I don't think there is a real place for closed cans - open is just better in everyway to my ears :p

The 840 was a great headphone, not nearly enough floating around 2nd hand for a good price. That's a good point actually, the 840 should feature in the £100-150 group for sure. Great can.

Again, I do love just how subjective this area is, so interesting to hear the wealth of differing views.

Associate
I see what you mean. I wouldn't buy them specifically for gaming at that price bit if someone wants a phone that can do both music and games these are phenomenal.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
Superlux 668b could go under all rounders, the positioning isn't that bad. They do benefit from re-cabling (canar 5c) and amp (o2 with canar 5c is a great combo).

“dynamic, deep bass, relatively balanced, analytical, good soundstage, very inexpensive”

Quote from head-fi

Associate
As a console gamer I feel that it would be importan to talk about the Mixamp. It has been able to drive anything I throw at it including some high end planars.

I think it would be good if people can write some mini reviews to help. I've done quite a few reviews that I was going to post on what hifi but if you want them I can modify them for gaming and you can add them under the headphone.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
As a console gamer I feel that it would be importan to talk about the Mixamp. It has been able to drive anything I throw at it including some high end planars.

I think it would be good if people can write some mini reviews to help. I've done quite a few reviews that I was going to post on what hifi but if you want them I can modify them for gaming and you can add them under the headphone.

Good idea, but I think we should keep Console and PC separate, to not confuse people.

Back
Top Bottom