New earphones (IEMs) for music.. Up to £200

Caporegime
Out of the loop and need something I can wear out and about.

Looking to spend up to (but less preferably) 200ish

I want IEMs as I already have a pair of d2000 closed full size

For a bit more of what I like.
I prefer a U shaped sound on a graphical equaliser but don't want boomy bass. More punch
But I do like sparkly/rich treble.

I've yet to hear a pair of headphones with too little treble (this is not to be confused with nasty treble).
I don't mind slightly recessed mids.

For reference I had a pair of ultimate ears TF10. Great sound but a tad uncomfortable.

Soldato
Dunu DN2000Js are a sublime choice and is what I would spend my money on if I needed something with the sound signature is described.

You could save a little money and get the IE80s but they don't quite have the same sound stage. They are, however, certainly not bassy. If you look at their sound signature this becomes apparent.

Soldato
Perhaps hoping for opinions from others as well, and maybe more options to consider, than just Dunu.

I can imagine that the Dunu's mentioned will offer some nice sparkly treble. I've got FiiO EX1, which are repackaged Titan 1 and the treble certainly has some sparkle to it (which I do like). Quite a bargain for £50, when the Dunu Titan 1 are around £90.

I've also got some Denon D2000's, but these IEMs in particular, I don't think will be what the OP is looking for. Bass is good, but it's less than the D2000, which for me is good, because sometimes the D2000 I find a bit too much. The sound is also somewhat clinical.

Dunu DN1000 might be what the OP is looking for, from what I've read reading Brooko's comparison of all three on Head-Fi.

Man of Honour
that was a hell of a bargain :)

fiduea83.png

Caporegime
OP
Oh good, lots more replies..

I haven't heard of dunu

If anything the d2000s are a little bass heavy but not much.

Are the a83 worth the extra?

Edit
D2000j dunu
A83

Are same price, both in budget..
What would you choose?

Last edited:
Soldato
Personally I would pick the A83 as they are an over ear fit and will be more comfortable for long listening sessions. The Dunus are all metal and may be a bit heavy for cable down wear and cable up may be a bit finnicky without hooks.

Sound wise I don't think there is much in it, both have good, deep and responsive bass, rich, detailed mids and a lively (but not overly so) high end.

* I'm a bit biased because I own the A73, which I absolutely love, they are something of a mini-A83, being dual driver instead of triple but then they do only cost £100. :D

Caporegime
OP
Personally I would pick the A83 as they are an over ear fit and will be more comfortable for long listening sessions. The Dunus are all metal and may be a bit heavy for cable down wear and cable up may be a bit finnicky without hooks.

Sound wise I don't think there is much in it, both have good, deep and responsive bass, rich, detailed mids and a lively (but not overly so) high end.

* I'm a bit biased because I own the A73, which I absolutely love, they are something of a mini-A83, being dual driver instead of triple but then they do only cost £100. :D

That's interesting actually
The old triple fi I had were over ear too and were only usable over ear.
Do Amazon do returns on iems? Could order both.

Soldato
I think they have a 30 day no quibble return policy - I've never done it myself but a lot of people order multiple items and send back the ones they don't want.

Even though I have never done it myself, I really like the system because it means that I can get cheaper headphones - I picked up both my Sony MDR-1As and MDR-100AAPs as returns for under £100 each :D

Back
Top Bottom