ramthor's monster build

Associate
===EDIT==========================================

Since I started this thread and after listening to your feedback, I have altered the initial setup which you can still see at the bottom of this post.
Initially I knew nothing about water cooling but I took the time to read and learn about it and at least in theory I'm much more confident now.
I have listed below my planned configuration but I kept the price out this time as initially it seemed to attract the wrong kind of crowd as you will see inside the thread if you have the patience to go though it all.
The build itself will start in October as I don't have a lot of time this month due to work.

Main components:

CaseLabs SMA8 (purchased - pics start here )
Asus Rampage V Edition 10 Intel X99 (Socket 2011) DDR4 EATX Motherboard
Intel i7-6950X Extreme 3.00GHz (Broadwell-E) Socket LGA2011-V3 Processor - Retail
Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz Dual/Quad Channel Kit
NVIDIA TITAN X SLI
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB M.2 PCI-e 3.0 x 4 NVMe Solid State Drive
Samsung 2.0TB 850 EVO SSD 2.5" SATA 6Gbps 32 Layer 3D V-NAND Solid State Drive
WD Black 6TB 7200rpm SATA 6Gb/s 128MB Cache HDD
EVGA SuperNova P2 1200W '80 Plus Platinum' Modular Power Supply
Asus PG348Q ROG Swift 34" 3440x1440 IPS G-Sync 100Hz Gaming Widescreen Curved LED Monitor

Watercooling (combination hard & flexi tube):

Hardware Labs Black Ice® GT Xtreme 560
Hardware Labs Black Ice® Nemesis® 480GTS®
ML140 Pro LED Red 140mm Premium Magnetic Levitation Fan (x4)
ML120 Pro LED Red 120mm Premium Magnetic Levitation Fan (x8)
EK-XTOP Revo D5 PWM - Plexi (x2)
EK-RES X3 250 (x2)
EK-RES X3 - Multiport TOP (x2)
EK-FC Titan X Pascal - Nickel (x2)
EK-FC Titan X Pascal Backplate - Nickel (x2)
EK-Supremacy EVO X99 - Full Nickel
EK-HD PETG Tube 12/16mm 500mm (2pcs)
TUBE PrimoChill PrimoFlex™ Advanced LRT™ 15,9 / 11,1mm - Crystal Clear
EK-HDC Fitting 16mm G1/4 - Black Nickel
EK-HD Adapter 12/16mm - Black Nickel
EK-ACF Fitting 12/16mm - Black Nickel
EK-AF Ball Valve (10mm) G1/4 - Black Nickel
EK-AF Y-Splitter Rotary 2F-1M G1/4 - Black Nickel
EK-CSQ Plug G1/4 - Black Nickel
EK-Ekoolant Pastel RED (concentrate 250mL)

I plan to play with the water cooling components in different configurations: only a small flexi tube loop initially just for the CPU then to change and include the GPUs then to include rigid tubing and in the end to make 2 different loops in 2 different colors.
It will be a learning experience for me and I will take it slowly.
I hope you will enjoy my log.

Cheers! :)

===END OF EDITING=======================================

Hello,

I am about to pull the trigger on a build that was overdue for some time, 7 years since my last CPU/Mobo change, still rocking the good old i7 920, but changing various bits here and there to keep my PC somewhat competitive. But you can stretch things so much when doing so therefore a complete system rebuild is in order.

And since I haven't upgraded in a while, all those money I should have spent in the past are ready now for a massive purchase.

I'm talking about a £6,000 build with all the bells and whistles that it deserves after such a long time.

Below is the configuration I have in mind. I should mention I will use this as an entertainment center: gaming, 4K video editing, virtual reality, internet browsing, media streaming to my 4K TV.

I am not much of an overclocker but I am willing to squeeze every bit of performance from my build, hence my choice of motherboard. Plus it looks good.

The CPU seems the logical choice especially for gaming with its higher clock speeds and as an all-rounder 6 cores for everything else. More cores will be a waste, less cores would not be as future proof.

The GPU will not be the one in the build but the Titan X (Pascal), which adds £100 to the total cost. Considering the choice of the monitor with its 3440x1440 resolution and aiming for 100 FPS average for its 100Hz refresh it might be probably not enough horsepower and a second Titan X might need to join the club sometime in the future. Will see about that.

The case I chose is a full tower to have enough room for everything without looking cramped and a big window to please my eyes whenever I look at what is inside. Initially I was thinking to get Corsair Graphite 780T because it looks a bit better while keeping the functionality of the 760T but then I changed my mind because of its smaller window. I'm still in two minds about this.

The CPU cooler choice was the best water cooler from Corsair. Not sure about this as I have never installed such a cooler before so I am open to suggestions. I would like it to be Corsair as I know they build decent coolers but I don't really know which one. I just assumed the top range would be the best but I might be wrong.

The rest of the build is a matter of personal needs and preferences but I look forward to hear your opinions on everything below.

As a side note, I made the same configuration on a different website and it was cheaper by around £150. Do Overclockers offer any discounts for larger orders?

Thank you for reading all this and let me know what you think.

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £5,956.79
(includes shipping: £0.00)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thank you for your answers.
I am not showing off because I haven't bought anything yet. It is just my intention to do so and I am just asking for you experts to guide me or to show me the errors of my ways. :)
If the build seems excessive please notice it also includes the monitor and the Vive which by themselves add £1900 to the price.
I don't want to buy an already built system because I want to have the liberty to mess with the components whenever I please without voiding the warranty.

Underboss
Looks like you've just picked the most expensive parts and said "look at me".

Yeah I'm getting that vibe.

Why a 1200W PSU?

£6k build with no custom water cooling just sounds crazy.

£170 for Windows 10 because it's on a pen drive? Just get the normal version and use an ISO with a normal USB. Or a £12 CD Drive hooked up for the install and then put in a cupboard.

Hopefully someone will spec you something decent, not just expensive epeen stuff.

Don

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

1. Ditch the USB Windows ISO
    Buy the VR headset after the build is done
    Get a ~1000W PSU and save some money
    Question if you need the £500 motherboard or such a big M.2 SSD for OS

Stulid is your man here, though :)

Soldato
dayum I'm playing at higher framerate than you will be under quite a lot of circumstances and I never spent that much. 2nd hand bits here and there reckon mine was under £1500. Then added a £1500 tv to be honest.

Associate
OP
Yeah I'm getting that vibe.
I apologize but I really can't understand how can I come across as boasting when I don't even own the said build? I assure you I have better things to do than empty bragging.

Why a 1200W PSU?

Because I might add a second Titan X down the line as I already mentioned above.

£6k build with no custom water cooling just sounds crazy.

If you deduct the monitor and the Vive it's £4,100. Still crazy?

£170 for Windows 10 because it's on a pen drive? Just get the normal version and use an ISO with a normal USB. Or a £12 CD Drive hooked up for the install and then put in a cupboard.
I hope you noticed it is the retail version of Windows 10 PRO. What you are suggesting is Home OEM edition. I need Pro and Retail because I need Remote Desktop built in and I don't want OEM to tie me to one mobo if I want to change it.

Hopefully someone will spec you something decent, not just expensive epeen stuff.
You're suggesting this is not decent. I still can't see why.

Associate
1. Even with a second Titan you don't need a 1200w psu.
2. Yes you don't see many £4k rigs that don't have custom water cooling.
3. You want to buy a £500 mobo but don't wanna be tied to it incase you want to change it? Sorry?

4. I obviously read your first post but I still want to know what you're doing all that with now. Surely you don't just want the rig to go into 4k video editing so what are you using to do that now? & is this professional video editing, do you have a youtube channel, or are you just editing home movies?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Get a ~1000W PSU and save some money
The difference in price for between 1200W and 1000W is 20 quid so not really worth it.
Question if you need the £500 motherboard or such a big M.2 SSD for OS
The other motherboard I would use instead of Rampage would be Asus Deluxe II which is not THAT much cheaper and in return it doesn't have all the overclocking tools that Rampage has.
As for the M.2 since you can't add another one further down the line I thought 512GB would be future proofing.

Stulid is your man here, though :)
Who is Stulid?

Last edited:
Associate
So you want to spend an extra £20 for the hell of it just because 1200w is more and also something you don't need? Makes no sense. Money to throw away?

Associate
OP
3. You want to buy a £500 mobo but don't wanna be tied to it incase you want to change it? Sorry?
Yes, I might not like it or I might find a fault and have to return it.
4. I obviously read your first post but I still want to know what you're doing all that with now. Surely you don't just want the rig to go into 4k video editing so what are you using to do that now? & is this professional video editing, do you have a youtube channel, or are you just editing home movies?
I don't do 4K video editing just yet but I plan to buy a quadcopter and go into aerial filming for my own pleasure soon after this build is done. I postponed buying it until now because of my poor system I have currently. And before you ask, yes I do have a 4K TV.

Associate
So you want to spend an extra £20 for the hell of it just because 1200w is more and also something you don't need? Makes no sense. Money to throw away?

It is possible the 1200W PSU will consume less power than the 1000W.. it depends where they both sit on their efficiency curves under typical use.

Back
Top Bottom