Operation Fresh Toast H440 Watercooled

Soldato
Some quick teaser pictures I made whilst I was waiting for parts to arrive

Update 19/02/16 - It's finished! Jump to final picture post.

j9vWn3c.jpg

wqVjdJC.jpg

VXw6aAx.jpg

So the plan has been to do a watercooling loop ever since GPU manufacturers couldn't keep the new GPUs cool whilst remaining quiet enough for me.

I chose the NZXT H440 as it is only mildly larger than my old bitfenix shinobi windowed, yet offers superior water cooling due to a lack of outdated and space wasting 5.25" bays. Not to mention is looks awesome and has some really cool features.
I ran it for a while with my stock 780 and i5 2550K with an NH-D14 and it was reasonably quiet though I had to undervolt my GPU to 0.96v to keep it cool and it still got quiet loud to prevent throttling. One thing I hate more than noise is throttling to keep cool. It feels wrong.

c0kuXIq.jpg

Main system specs:
i5 2550k at 4.4Ghz 1.32v
NH-D14
MSI Z77 MPower
8GB 1600Mhz 1.35v Corsair white low profile ram.
EVGA GTX 780 reference
Asus Xonar DGX
256GB Samsung 830, 240GB Crucial M500, 1TB Samsung sprintpoint F3 - Fell during build
Corsair RM850 PSU
3 Noctua P12s
Bitfenix alchemy white braided 24 pin, 6+8 pin PCIe.

I mostly chose these parts cause they looked nice.

Here are the parts for the loop.
EK LTX Nickel Plexi
EK FC-780 GTX Ti - Nickel
EK FC-780 GTX Ti Backplate - Black
Alphacool NexXxoS ST30 240mm
XSPC AX360 Replaced with Alphacool NexXxoS ST30 360mm
3m Primochill PrimoFlex Advanced LRT
EK D5 Vario X-Res 140
3x EK Nickel Compression fittings
3x EK Nickel plated brass barbs
5x Alphacool rotary barbs.

Most of the loop stuff was chosen because it was cheap but still branded. The GPU block and backplate was a 2nd hand bargain that I stumbled upon when I first started looking into WC.
I would have gotten more EK compression but the internet has run out of them after I bled OcUK and another store dry.

First thing I did was measure and cut most of the pieces of tubing. I wasn't ready to remove the NH-D14 cause I was still waiting for parts so didn't cut the CPU -> top rad tube.

KVLwe2X.jpg

I then started to flush the radiators. Words cannot describe how boring and annoying this is to do. All over the internet there are guides on how to do this involving vinegar, alcohol, hundreds of pounds worth of equipment, the blood of your first born son and the tears of satan etc.

Fortunately Shayper's guide recommended hot water so that was what I used as I flushed each rad about 10 times over an hour.

aO9D6ta.jpg

Next up was GPU block installation. I love naked GPUs, the bare chip and the sense of you shouldn't be seeing this makes it exciting.

What this picture doesn't show is how warped the PCB is. Rather than sagging, it bends upwards when installed.

Kc620H5.jpg

2nd hand year old 780 meant that I got an A1 chip that overclocks better than a 780 lightning I had for a while (I sent it back cause it didn't live up to lightning standards)

ihiPI1p.jpg

Block went on super easy

A9xQFLl.jpg

Backplate not so much as some of the screwholes where slightly misaligned. But it gave in eventually
OXNF8sg.jpg

I had ran out of things to do until my fittings arrived to I ghetto'd together a GPU loop using the pre cut tubing.

Leak testing
XMYBOO8.jpg

Those towels got quite wet by the end as the first time I filled the res I forgot to put in the extra stop plug so water went everywhere. Also when move the rad around to get rid of bubbles I span a rotary loose so it dripped a bit. But everything turned out fine and now I am left with this.

iHemHd0.jpg

Temps on the 780 at aircooled settings where about 36C with fans at 50%. When I put 1.225v through they rose to mid 40s. Very impressed so far.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
So I did another temp loop with my CPU GPU and 360mm rad whilst I wait on the final parts delivery. GPU temps stay below 50C though CPU can get into upper 60s - not sure why it gets so hot but I am not worried atm as the loop isn't finished and they are not dangerous.

Back to pictures

I used my spare time do attach fans and fittings to the rads and mount them in the case.

Quick Tip Quickie:
When attaching fans to radiators, only screw in each fan until it starts threading until all four screws have started threading. Then begin to tighten the screws up. This avoids the situation where the holes of your fan and radiator do not line up on the last screw and you having to redo everything.
AVGBqFW.jpg

This compression fitting only fit due to the non square frame of the NZXT fan allowing the two to overlap slightly. It was oddly satisfying.
fRKOPzc.jpg

This did not fit and I am waiting on an extension to arrive
pabRsgi.jpg

CPU installation
k58z92e.jpg

Up close CPUs always look really clean.
FaAtT2l.jpg

L7HldGR.jpg

Currently lacking a backplate so the mounting pressure is quite low
JGZ1EnL.jpg

Attaching up the tubing using whichever fittings I had spare
5w5Hp9e.jpg

Lots of paper towel in case of leaks
UthBOl2.jpg

Funnel for filling
h1sxsh7.jpg

Standard procedure for filling loops then went ahead. Everything was fairly smooth.

Filled and dry!
zN1lrFY.jpg

Reservoir is fairly full.
2aGDe4A.jpg

Only slight leak seems to originate from the rotary barb I am using to fill the res with. Possibly the seal has gone the bearing. I will test this when I disassemble to loop for the final build.
gKLG1k4.jpg

I left it overnight to check that there were no leaks. Everything was bone dry so I plugged everything in ready for boot.
LWvaxHu.jpg

I even put the side panels back on.
pOiQSUZ.jpg

(except for the back panel - just ignore all the cable mess that I will have to sort out when this is done)
GpykYJX.jpg

CPU temps were a little high so I checked to see if it applied well and it seems to have spread a little uneven. I simply added a drop more paste and spread it manually. It seems to have helped somewhat.
EvWCMqS.jpg

LzSqcq8.jpg

Soldato
OP
After way too long I finally received the correct sized barbs to finish the loop. Also my HDD died so I lost a lot of games, and redownloading 100GB at 5mbit/s takes over 2 days of non stop downloads. Not fun.

But onto more happy (and some more bad) things.
Draining the loop was very simple - much easier than I thought. After draining I had to cut all of the tubing to the correct length, removing all the worn ends from previous barbs/compressions.
9d0cExH.jpg

Also needed to do some testing on what I thought may have been a leaky rotary barb.
QSeisVs.jpg

Confirmed as leaky
UkOHJPt.jpg

Extender did exactly what it was needed to do
WyeLtjS.jpg

I cannot be bothered with installing all the screws.
dkCgszI.jpg

Case mod in order to get the front panel on. Brilliant quality mod I know.
oRqvjgq.jpg

Bought a 3rd compression fitting thinking I would be able to see it. Clearly it is not.
IB9ohLF.jpg

Using barbs on the CPU cause I could not for the life of me find another EK compression fitting.
4K8rggA.jpg

About 2m of spare tubing (ordered 3m)
2Dbplvj.jpg

Back to paper towels for filling
UB27hnC.jpg
Yd8xOGP.jpg
ls4UNrQ.jpg

After 24 hours it seemed to be completely leak free as every paper towel was bone dry.

View with the panels on (imagine the fluid is white)
yhl8ruX.jpg

Now the bad news:
Scratched the window trying to clean
TwTokk6.jpg

Finally I found I hadn't removed the last paper towel and on doing so found this.
OMPYSUs.jpg
(hard to tell but that is definitely damp)

It seems that another one of my alphacool rotary barbs has gone bad and started leaking. I assume that once again that the seal has broken around the rotating bearing rather than the G1/4 thread or the barb itself.
Replaced the paper towel with a better solution until I decide on a more permanent solution.
QCja9oV.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom