** NHL & Ice Hockey Discussion **

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
47 Days until the new NHL Season starts.

Not that I am counting,

There has been some crazy stuff going down in the 2015 off season and I thought some early hockey discussion wouldn't go a miss.

Offseason headlines and key talking points ICYMI:

Adidas
2017 will see a change to Adidas from the current Reebok branding in the NHL jerseys.
Bit of a strange move in my opinion as Adidas owns Reebok who are well known in hockey but apparantly are moving towards a lifestyle and fitness brand with Adidas taking their place. Seems odd when Adidas also owns CCM who are a much more established brand in hockey, surely it would make more sense to go with that.
Lots of talk about adverts on jerseys too but it seems to be a lot of internet talk right now. I can't see many fans appreciating that one.

McDavid
The kid knows his stuff, watching any of his highlight goals from the otters shows why was the 1st pick. All reports from the Oilers camp show promise with their current roster all reacting positively to him. May be just PR but we will have to see what he does over the course of this season. I personally can't see him living up to the hype in his rookie year.

Kessel
Did NOT see that one coming. Kessel moving to the Penguins is going to be pretty big. He is a superstar without question and put up impressive numbers last season whilst playing for a relatively poor Leafs front line. Pairing this guy up with one of the best playmakers in the game (Crosby) is sure to see a very formidable line one and special teams line from the Penguins.
They might even beat the Flyers this season too...

Voracek
An 8 year lock up contract for him on his breakout season is a good idea on paper but it was going to go two ways really. They had to pay him that much but also couldn't go above Girou's contract either.
Considering the cap hit his contract has had, Hextall has been smashing out some top level team management now getting some other promising players like Couturier on long and cheap contracts to compensate. Flyers have some depth now. If we don't make the playoffs at least this season then I just don't know.

Daniel Briere Retires
The guy was obviously pretty well regarded. played pretty much everywhere worth noting and showed himself as a valuable asset in every post season campaign he was a part of.

Winter Classic
Bruins vs Habs

Bruins lacking Defence
Well, lets be honest. I know they have been 'rebuilding' but what exactly is that team doing at the moment. Does anybody else know?

Patty Kane
So the dude has been accused of rape. Police investigation under way, no charges currently against him. Got booted off the front of the NHL16 game cover and removed from most of the Bauer marketing stuff too. Innocent until proven guilty I guess, but I am not sure why a multi millionaire, stanley cup winning professional athlete would need to do that.
It could massively hurt the Blackhawks title defence whatever the outcome.

Vegas & Quebec Franchise Rumours.
Both areas have submitted and proceeded to phase 2 of this process. Although I think the west perhaps needs another franchise, I can't help but think that vegas is not really a hockey market and would struggle for attendance. Quebec on the other hand would do much better in my view.

Soldato
Ducks have a pretty awesome team this year I feel. Some good signings over the break and a few surprise let goes but still feel we have a pretty good chance of taking the cup.

Awaiting to see what is happening with NHL Gamecentre as with the new deal with the baseball stuff going on, would've thought they would have sign ups going already but i've heard they should just auto renew from last year.

Defo looking forward to the season and getting the Ducks 3rd jersey which is rumored to be orange (which will look much better with a Ducks logo on it ;) )

Soldato
Cant wait for the new season.

The English season starts over here soon and with Manchester Storm re-forming it gives us a chance to go watch.

I hope to go over to the states and watch a game either this season or next.

Has anyone had any information on Game Center? Is it still running?

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
OP
Yeah I am up for watching some storm games this season, albeit in the slightly less impressive setting. It used to be immense watching it at the MEN arena.

Gamecenter had a bit of an issue with a class action lawsuit or something last year due to blackout coverage disputes or something. I didn't really understand as it doesn't apply to us really but I know there were problems.

I can imagine GCL will be on offer this year though as it is likely to be one of the largest revenue streams for the NHL.

Defo looking forward to the season and getting the Ducks 3rd jersey which is rumored to be orange (which will look much better with a Ducks logo on it ;) )

Its ok to be wrong :p

that said, the Duck 3rd this year does look pretty cool. never been a fan of their black jerseys, their purple and green jersey was easily their best. good to see them using the original logo again.

Last edited:
Soldato
I went on Saturday, they beat the Panthers on a shoot out. The place is slightly less impressive but I am used to it after watching the Phoenix there a few times.

With the GCL Premier Sports have the licence over here for NHL games but as it is a subscription channel I am never going to get it. My argument last time was I could not even get it as my TV is with Virgin. There are ways around the black outs though....

Soldato
Trying to get my head around the 'hybrid icing' rules that our manager sent us a video link to, so that we can understand it.
It will be harder for the lineys that it will be for players i'm sure.

Soldato
I went on Saturday, they beat the Panthers on a shoot out. The place is slightly less impressive but I am used to it after watching the Phoenix there a few times.

With the GCL Premier Sports have the licence over here for NHL games but as it is a subscription channel I am never going to get it. My argument last time was I could not even get it as my TV is with Virgin. There are ways around the black outs though....

Our u18 team captain played for panthers in that game #14. 17 years old.

Soldato
Hi, i don't play, my lad does.
Played at Nottingham since he was 7. Had 3 seasons in Sheffield under Rocket Ron Shudra then back to Nottingham.
He's 17 now, played for England u14's and this years England u17's

Associate
Can't wait to get the season underway!

Hoping Kessel will be lethal this season sitting on a line with Sid! Going to start going to watch some local games, Guildford Flames would be the team I think!

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
OP
Played at Nottingham since he was 7. Had 3 seasons in Sheffield under Rocket Ron Shudra then back to Nottingham.

ah yeah I remember you saying now from last years thread. meanwhile I took up Ice last month in addition to all the Inline that I do. 4 hours of rec hockey ice time. I cant stop at all but my stickhandling saves me. :p

Hoping Kessel will be lethal this season sitting on a line with Sid!

I think it is safe to say that there will be a lot of goals coming from that lineup.

just checked and he has 25 goals and 36 assists from last season. I think the question of Sid feeding Kessel the goals will be answered but more to the point, Kessel feeding Sid will be the most dangerous thing. Crosby is a bugger for rebounds and if Kessel misses then you can bet your bottom dollar that Sid will be cleaning up those missed opportunities.

Last edited:
Soldato
ah yeah I remember you saying now from last years thread. meanwhile I took up Ice last month in addition to all the Inline that I do. 4 hours of rec hockey ice time. I cant stop at all but my stickhandling saves me. :p

I think it is safe to say that there will be a lot of goals coming from that lineup.

just checked and he has 25 goals and 36 assists from last season. I think the question of Sid feeding Kessel the goals will be answered but more to the point, Kessel feeding Sid will be the most dangerous thing. Crosby is a bugger for rebounds and if Kessel misses then you can bet your bottom dollar that Sid will be cleaning up those missed opportunities.

I wish I could skate!

I just hope that if Sid and Kessel don't start scoring straight away that people will be on their back. Give them a little time. Last season Sid had to up his defence a bit more so lets see what happens. I need to get a new Jersey for this year!!

Also I am going to miss Sutter :(

Soldato

One of my favourite players behind "The Duke" Tommy Plommer and "King" Ken Priestlay. Sheffield Steelers had a right team back in the 90's.

Soldato
Ron's a great guy and a great coach. My lad played with his lad in conference when Ron was coach. He enjoyed it so much that we moved him to Sheffield for 3 seasons. Only came back to Nottingham cos it would have been too expensive to go to Sheff 3 times a week. :rolleyes:
Whilst always a panthers fan, Plommer was a legend too, great player and ambassador for the sport.
Even now my lad supports Steelers over Panthers. :rolleyes:

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
OP
who do you play for? should get a game organized :cool:

just playing rec with Telford Spartans because theyre closest to me. I'm a beginner so its just a case of getting ice time when I can.

I play inline for Hitmen in the WIHL

Back
Top Bottom