Basic question - plumbing in toilet

Raz

Raz

Soldato
Very simple really, the downstairs toilet is a bit clogged and when the flush is used it fills up right to the top but empties out within a few minutes. I've not had time to have a look so it's only been used twice by my son for wee. This morning however I found that quite a lot of water had leaked - looks like drips from the gasket. Can a clogged toilet cause this, bearing in mind it hadn't been used since Sunday or was there something wrong with the gasket?

Thanks

Soldato
Very simple really, the downstairs toilet is a bit clogged and when the flush is used it fills up right to the top but empties out within a few minutes. I've not had time to have a look so it's only been used twice by my son for wee. This morning however I found that quite a lot of water had leaked - looks like drips from the gasket. Can a clogged toilet cause this, bearing in mind it hadn't been used since Sunday or was there something wrong with the gasket?

Thanks

If it fills up to the top then its blocked. Where is the gasket you talking about?

Soldato
If the pipe is blocked then water is sitting in the soil pipe behind the toilet, so yes it could leak out around the soil pipe.You need to get the blockage fixed. Once water is flushing away properly the leak will go away.

Raz

Raz

Soldato
OP
Well that's the thing. I know it's clogged but the water goes away after a few minutes so the bowl doesn't overflow. The water still leaks from the joint between the pipes (which according to Google is the gasket) and it's clean water that's leaking.

Soldato
The water is leaking because its sitting there and not flying past as it should.

Does anyone flush baby wipes down the loo.

Our drain was blocked at the boundry. Only noticed it as the we had a little seepage from the soil stack. When I cleared 10 tons of baby wipes from the drain. There was an almighty wooosh from the the street and the bathroom.

There must have been 300 gallons sat there slowly seeping past the baby wipes that cleared in seconds.

Raz

Raz

Soldato
OP
No, nothing like that. I imagine it was a big...poo.

After getting rid of the water on the floor I turned the water main off before going work and nothing leaked - there was water in the bowl at the normal level and enough water in the tank for a flush but nothing leaked. Came back and turned the water on and within 20mins water was everywhere... It's dripping from a pipe

Soldato
Don't get Dyno-Rod, they are con men systers.

My drains were blocked once right at the property boundary, the man holes were filling up to the top but would drain away after a while so wasn't a real emergency however.

Anyway, The Dyno-Rod bloke was here for less then 5 minutes, unblocked it with one push of the rod, and left after grumbling because I wanted to pay by debit card (probably because he couldn't get his fiddle in). Never even bothered to hose down the drains, just left **** everywhere. Con men just like the whole British Gas group.

Raz

Raz

Soldato
OP
Ok looks like its the supply line that's leaking. I turned the water off and after a while flushed it a few times and while it's still clogged there was no leak.

Soldato
Tip a few buckets of hot soapy water down pan - see if it shifts anything.

Is it an old syphonic toilet by any chance ?

If it's a modern low flush one and it isn't used very often it could be loo paper sticking and drying in pipe - each time it's used a bit more paper sticks.

Soldato
Sounds like a weeping valve on the supply side, if it's a compression fitting try tightening it up, if that doesn't sort it then switch it back off at the mains, slacken both nuts off and wrap the olives in PTFE and redo the nuts.

Back
Top Bottom