Operation Fresh Toast H440 Watercooled

Soldato
There's nothing like the smell of burning grindstone on aly to clear out your tubes! :D
If only I could justify the cost of a milling machine to myself...and I tried, even tried to come up with things I could do with it that 'the wife' would appreciate. I failed :-C
Hope you feel better mate!

Soldato
OP
I miss being at school where they had all these machines to play with. These bits were bought pre cut. The single plate cost £4, bolts washers and nuts cost a couple if quid for everything and paint is £3.50 a can. The extra aly plates are incase I mess up.

Soldato
OP
Made the backplate today.

Started out with a quick test run on a square bit of aluminium I bought. Turned out very good so moved onto the main thing.

rzkkGRnl.jpg

Marked the holes and clamped it in place

O3ZeDDZl.jpg

Steel vs Aluminum is like taking candy from a baby.

PQiwfMkl.jpg

Used a wood countersinking tool and a screwdriver to create the countersunk holes. Using a drill with the tool caused burrs that would have to be dealt with.

dmAXs4dl.jpg

Final result was a little wonky but I am not too bothered.

nPdPJNnl.jpg

uLJfPP5l.jpg

However the issue was how close the backplate was to some of the components on the back of the soundcard.

7IVfjMal.jpg

Fortunately I bought an A4 sheet of vinyl to cover the tiny orange squares on my SSD so had loads to spare.

U3kMSBxl.jpg

I'm actually a tad bit annoyed good my signature looks as it is going to be face down.

Surprisingly it still works.

dCxdJjVl.jpg

Caporegime
Lovely work Toaster, nice job on the spraying of the mobo. I was very tempted to spray my Z87 maximus 6 formula in white with red accents. White and yellow isnt a colour combo id envisage tbh, (decorator in me coming out) but it does look pretty nice. Oh and btw, your collie dog is a wee cutie.

Soldato
OP
Spraying thermal armour (especially with plastidip) is so easy that I am a bit gutted that asus are getting rid of them from some boards. Yellow and white was a colour combo I accidentally stumbled across in GTA V and afaik hasn't been done before.

Soldato
Love it, nice work. Still don't know why it hasn't become the norm to mount cards nice side up (by inverting the motherboard). It was a silly change brought on by the change from PCI to PCI-E and it means you can't see your shiny gfx card and block.

Does your sound card get hot at all? Just cos if it does, you could insulate the sticky-up bits with the spare thermal pads you must have left over so that the backplate is functional too.

Soldato
OP
semi

FINAL UPDATE

I finally got round to painting the backplates. I did both as the plastidip finish was a dirt magnet and I prefer the glossy white.

B9MOwZvl.jpg

xE1Wcibl.jpg

k87OtErl.jpg

6T0bshfl.jpg

XBZ37NTl.jpg

Y261ZlKl.jpg

sqJcH5rl.jpg

LpWW7tel.jpg

Final setup picture

lcCcrQwl.jpg

Bonus picture of my desk at work cause the dog isn't in the room
DEXQAodl.jpg

Thanks for reading this build log - all 15,000 of you. It's not a scratch on some of the more experienced and professional logs out there but I am very happy with the result as it was mostly learning by doing and guessing. And I am fairly sure this is one of the only white and yellow builds in the world - it's good to own something unique.

In the future I will look into getting a custom illuminated PSU cover and painting the pump white but for now at it's over.

Until next build

Toast

Last edited:
Associate
Great build log and it was certainly worth watching just to see the end system. I must admit that you've surprised me with how well the yellow and white colour scheme has turned out. It certainly wouldn't look as good without the modifications to make sure the components match up (Painting cases etc) but by the look of the system it has definitely been worth it and it's quite inspiring for others to do case mods. :)

I look forward to seeing the PSU cover mod but even without it the overall system looks great.
Smashing work :D

Back
Top Bottom