Mobile Headphone DAC - Anyone used these?

Associate
Has anyone used one with their phone / laptop?
Does it really make a difference to MP3 sound quality from your usual operating system apps?

Let us know! I may buy one soon.

Soldato
Which type of mobile DAC do you mean?
There is the battery powered DAC & Amp kind such as the FiiO E17K and there is the USB powered kind such as the Audioquest Dragonfly, which will usually require more power than a phone can provide but are ideal for Laptops.

Soldato
DacMagic XS here using with my phone. Very good portable DAC tiny in size. Can push even my 250ohm DT770 amazingly and sound great.

RicherSounds would randomly drop their price for the XS and XS V2 by 50% down to £50. I can honestly say it is definitely one of my best purchases.

Associate
I took a punt on an iBasso D-Zero MK2 (~£90) a while ago and have been pleasantly surprised. It's a DAC/Amp that works with Phones/Windows etc. It is a significant improvement over standard laptop/phone output.

Just remember, the headphones/speakers you use are the most important part of the sound you get, then have a look at the source. I think a general rule of thumb is if you spend £100 on headphones, you might want to look at spending a similar amount on the DAC/Amp driving them.

What are you currently using for headphones/speakers and source?

Associate
OP
To answer a few questions,

Im probably using with a laptop more often and currently have a £50 pair of earbuds (Marshall Minor) i would use the DAC with at work

If the DACs ever hit 50 clams one day I will definitely bag one!

Soldato
I really want to try a chord mojo @ £400 .. but I already have a arcam ir-dac and a graham slee srg11 headphone amp . While it apparently beats my dac ,I really cant see it being better than my headphone amp . But having another source for another room might be handy . And its portable .

AV-FORUMS REVIEW

Last edited:
Associate
I had a Mojo for a day. Great sound, but developed a horrible coil whine when charging very quickly. Had planned it as a desktop DAC/amp so had to send it back. Got a Schiit stack instead, so happy with it!

Associate
OP
I saw some horror reviews for Creative Labs DAC - what ever happened to that company, they used to be soo good!

Associate
What the Mojo has over everything else is tone and fun. It hits the right spots with having extension at the extremes. It's resolving and drives most headphones. I can't be without it, it just does everything I want it to do. I can just plug it into my S7 and I'm away! so much better than sitting next to a big headphone station.

Sure it's not going to best a high end desktop rig but what is at £400?

Back
Top Bottom