ASUS Strix Audio card cutting out

Soldato
I have of course googled this, but for some reason, every page that I have clicked on that seems to have any info on this issue, just fails to load up.

Basically, this card that I have had for a few months now, simply cuts out all the time. Easily at least 2 or 3 times in an hour.

Every time Itry to watch a movie, or even a TV program, it will cut out at least the once. Playing some music, be they MP3 or Flac, then I might get through a few songs, but it will cut out, and the same when playing a game, no matter what game, it will cut out. Solitaire or Call of Duty, it does not care.

Similarly, if I try to change to/from Headphone from/to main speakers, I have to make absolutely sure that it is not playing a sound, or it will completely cut out the sound altogether, and sometimes hangs the program/game.

I have had the card replaced and the new one is the exact same thing.

Does anyone know of a solution?

Soldato
If you're getting the same thing with the replacement, it's almost certainly a software issue. If you're using Windows 10, then this can be added to the many issues I've read about Windows 10 and sound cards.

What are you using the sound card for and what are you connecting to the sound card, in the way of headphones or speakers? 2.1, 5.1. etc. Might be worth considering a DAC or an audio interface.

As I said in another thread where two people have had sound card problems, the more I see people mention problems they have had, the more I think sound cards are a pain in the butt and not worth the hassle; not any more. I've had two go belly up a few years ago. I bought a DAC and haven't regretted it once. No more **** drivers/software to contend with. I only use stereo though and no interest in Dolby Headphone etc, any more.

Soldato
OP
Hell, I just lost everything before I posted it... Try again...

Yes, same issues, different card. Yes Windows 10, and yes, I have heard many issues with Win10 and all manner of hardware, not just Audio cards. Quite honestly, I utterly despise the direction Microsoft have taken Windows, and their inability to accept that the tablet mode is simply awful. When I have to give this a fresh install, I will be going back to Windows 7 if nothing else, I have some software that doesnot work in 8 or above so I want that software back too!

What is the Sound for?
Games, Movies and Music. My main speakers are Altec Lansing 955 5.1 Speakers, and I also use Headphones too of course. I have had many audio solutions over the years and yes, I sed a DAC for a while, but it broke on me and now I am back to Analog and the cards ( Reverse to your situation eh? ) so yes, I will be going back to a DAC sometime... Not yet though.

One of the needs I have, is to simply switch between headphone and speakers.

I have this with this Strix SoundCard and I have it with the Creative Drive bay add-ons too, and they have served me well, partly because the speakers themselves dont have a headphone socket.

Similarly, it does not have a volume control either, and this is where the need of a volume control on the keyboard comes in, and guess what? Windows 10 once again fails there too, because when I try adjusting the volume, the screen goes blank for a short time, it bleeps like hell and the PC seems to go a bit wonky for a bit. This is now not as bad as it was, but its still flaky.

Soldato
OP
Well, that strix card is now boxed back up and dumped in the attic.

A while back I bought the Creative OMNI and I returned it and so I thought bugger it I will get it again and I did do... One cool thing is that they had one in the clearance area that wasa reutned item for half price and so I grabbed that... Turned out to be the one I returned LOL

So, I am using that now and I now have flawless audio again.

The Omni is definitely a superior device to that Asus pile of junk, and this officially marks the moment that I will never again waste money on Asus SoundCards, unless they really impress with something seriously good for seriously cheap. Those heathen owe me big time, for the money I have wasted on their cards.

That said I am about to ask another question in the Forum about one of the other Asus cards, but this is one I have managed to resolder and get working again after their all too useless cruddy soldering failed.

Back
Top Bottom