Advice needed on EQ settings.

Associate
Hi all,

I am currently trying to get the best sound quality from my Logitech Z506 5.1 surround sound system, of which has been paired with a Creative Sound Blaster Audigy FX sound card. Both of these do not have optical so I am using the three 3.5 mm cables that were supplied with the surround sound.

I have been trying to get the best sound quality as I can without using the default EQ settings but the issue is I listen to a wide variety, of music as well as films and games, and I am generally looking for advice as this would be useful, as I do not know if I am doing anything wrong or not. This is because I want to have a good range over all frequencies, so that all my music, films and games are clear as possible, without having to have different eq settings for each thing I have mentioned.

I apologise if my post is ambiguous and or if it is in the wrong topic section
Images are below:
s!ApreWYR-UimfgbRvvntJTdJAUHkWHw

s!ApreWYR-UimfgbRw1EZpxIW4JOjafQ

s!ApreWYR-UimfgbRx5ByRn6M7x0rtpA

Soldato
so that all my music, films and games are clear as possible, without having to have different eq settings

Music, gaming and movies are going to sound best with EQ tailored to each, there is no "golden EQ" that is best for everything. You are even going to see different EQ optimisation between different types of game, FPS tends to work best with less bass and more treble (to highlight the positional cues) whereas RPGs will do better with more bass and more neutral mids and highs to emphasise explosions.

Associate
To be honest starting from a default EQ is always best, after all, mixing and mastering engineers sure do know what they're doing. Beyond that it's personal taste really, and things like room acoustics and speaker placement comes into play. If you're wanting a different character of sound from each type of media, there really isn't going to be a one-fits-all perfect EQ setting as has already been said.
If you want clarity and balance in a custom EQ setting all I would say is don't push the bass much, that's the quickest way to ruin any balance, as much as we all love bass. Personally I'd just stick to default or extremely close to, unless your room is swallowing up/resonating certain frequencies to a noticable degree.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thank you all for your input guys, and sorry about the late reply due to being busy.

In terms of the type of room, it is my bedroom, where my sound system is situated at current, and the Front L & R are equal distances from monitor, and are pointing directly at me, in terms or rear L & R they are aligned as best i could get them with the front speakers, and are also positioned directly at me.

The sub itself is in a corner, on top of a Wii fit board and a few books, to minimise the lower frequencies, from going downstairs into the kitchen. Based on the general consensus of having a tailored EQ for different types of media played I will be working on this over the next few days.

Back
Top Bottom