Registry Boosterss are they worth buying?

Associate
Just been looking at Uniblue Registry Booster and downloaded the trial version which says I have 200+ reg problems!

Are they accurate and worth buying or just an attempt to get money from gullible Technical dumbo's like me? :o

Any advice welcome please?

Associate
yeah half of these things end up breaking stuff rather than speeding up your pc, avoid imo

I recently tried something called "advanced system optimizer 3" which had awesome reviews all over. And then i went through most of the things it was trying to fix and saw it was trying to remove many of matlab/visual studio/CUDA/OpenCV library and other important files for those programs to run properly

If you're an internet and email type of person then you may not have much to lose, but if you really use your PC for doing the real stuff then most of these registry cleaners are likely to break stuff very badly to the point wehre not even a system restore will help at all.

That said, I do use norton utilities to fix my registry on windows and it finds far fewer errors because it doesn't misreport all the legitimate stuff as errors and then proceed to remove them. If I were you i'd stick iwth NU and not use any of this dodgy crap -- regardless of what reviews it got.

Soldato
I use the ccleaner utility (free) just for when I uninstall things. Certain programmes leave behind entries and add to the registry. Of course these means naff all as it is a tiny tiny tiny part of what slows down a computer, but I get a placebo effect from doing it.

Soldato
I don't bother with any of them and haven't since Windows 95. In all honesty Windows is very good at managing the registry if it's left on it's own. If the registry gets full of junk it's probably due to installing garbage constantly, you're best simply to avoid iffy apps which is easy enough to to do these days by checking each one for reviews before installing.

Back
Top Bottom