Corsair 540 Fans.

Associate
Hi

I had a 540 delivered today to replace my Spec-03 and I love it.

There were two fans that came pre-loaded in the case + one exhaust fan.

I've take the two 140 fans i had in my spec 03 case and put them in the ceiling as exhaust fans.

Can anyone advise whether this is the best thing to do or should the one closest to the front be pushing air in?

Thanks in advance

Stret

Associate
OP
IMG_20170107_185417.jpg

Current setup

Associate
OP
I'd upgrade the cpu cooler though mate.

Can you elaborate a bit for me?

I'm planning in the next 6 months to get a new cpu and MB, not decided what yet so was going to leave it until then.

You rig in your sig looks great mate, i've never installed watercooling but looking at that makes me want to have a go...

Edit:- The cpu doesn't seem to get that hot even playing decent games...

Associate
Can you elaborate a bit for me?

I'm planning in the next 6 months to get a new cpu and MB, not decided what yet so was going to leave it until then.

You rig in your sig looks great mate, i've never installed watercooling but looking at that makes me want to have a go...

Edit:- The cpu doesn't seem to get that hot even playing decent games...

Cheers buddy it's great fun but very expensive!

Just leave it till you upgrade then :)

Soldato
Current setup

If it was me I'd change the top right fan in front of the cpu cooler to an intake. At the moment you have cool air from the front fans being exhausted before getting to the cpu. You also have more exhaust fans than intake, which will increase dust in your system.

Associate
How are you liking the case? As I was thinking about getting one. I've heard reports of it not having great noise insulation, does it seem overly noisy to you?

Associate
OP
How are you liking the case? As I was thinking about getting one. I've heard reports of it not having great noise insulation, does it seem overly noisy to you?

Love it mate, i've got three front fans and two top fans but my mb only has one header so the two top ones are on that but the two front are connected to the PSU so theyre on 100% at the moment until i sort it, i've got the radio stream on low and i cant hear them..

Last edited:
Associate
I'm not personally convinced about having the top two exhausting, on mine I have 3x 120mm in the front pulling air in with a single 140mm in the back, in that configuration it makes pretty good positive pressure but if I let the top 140mm spin up it can create a bit of negative pressure around the back of the top vent.

With your current setup you might find it's actually pulling a bit of air in through the non-dust filtered areas such as the bottom HDD mounts and the honeycomb on the back of the case if you're running 3x140mm exhaust vs 2x140mm intake (which also have to fight the dust filter). Your most recent post says you have 3 in the front which is different from your picture but I'd try to keep positive pressure whatever the setup as the 540 isn't the most dust free case in my experience.

@dan958
I came from a steel panelled globalwin 802 to this case and honestly the difference is night and day, it really doesn't stop any sort of noise in my opinion so quiet fans are a must. I also noticed coil whine on my old GPU which was completely insulated by my older case, so I swapped that out. I had a bit of vibration from one of my ancient mechanical HDDs which I replaced with a WD Red. All in all I have a very quiet system now, but you have to buy the right parts to make it so, cooling performance wise though it's a beast and that's why I bought it, if noise is your main priority I'd possibly look at other options.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I'm not personally convinced about having the top two exhausting, on mine I have 3x 120mm in the front pulling air in with a single 140mm in the back, in that configuration it makes pretty good positive pressure but if I let the top 140mm spin up it can create a bit of negative pressure around the back of the top vent.

With your current setup you might find it's actually pulling a bit of air in through the non-dust filtered areas such as the bottom HDD mounts and the honeycomb on the back of the case if you're running 3x140mm exhaust vs 2x140mm intake (which also have to fight the dust filter). Your most recent post says you have 3 in the front which is different from your picture but I'd try to keep positive pressure whatever the setup as the 540 isn't the most dust free case in my experience.

@dan958
I came from a steel panelled globalwin 802 to this case and honestly the difference is night and day, it really doesn't stop any sort of noise in my opinion so quiet fans are a must. I also noticed coil whine on my old GPU which was completely insulated by my older case, so I swapped that out. I had a bit of vibration from one of my ancient mechanical HDDs which I replaced with a WD Red. All in all I have a very quiet system now, but you have to buy the right parts to make it so, cooling performance wise though it's a beast and that's why I bought it, if noise is your main priority I'd possibly look at other options.

thanks for the advice

Associate
OP

@dan958

So got some filters for the top fans and flipped them around and fitted a 140mm red led to the exhaust to match the others.

So i now have 4x 140mm intake and 140mm exhaust.

I've just played a little Tomb Raider and my 1070 is running about 3-5 degrees hotter @ roughly 73. Anything to be worried about or is that still an acceptable temperature?

Associate
I would flip the back fan to intake instead of exhaust. In that case you'll have positive pressure then, better for positive than greater negative.

Though if you're changing the CPU cooler, the back fan orientation may need to be thought of again

Back
Top Bottom