Faulty RAM

Associate
Hey,

I bought a new setup last month and after 3 weeks it gave up the ghost. I launched Battlefield and my machine initiated a blue screen boot loop.
The blue screen error was not consistent.
First error was: IRQL_not_less_or_equal
Second error was: ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY

I had Windows 7 and upgraded to Windows 10.

Mobo = Asus Maximus Hero VIII
CPU = 6700k
RAM = 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance (CMK16GX4M2B30)

First time round I ran MemTest86 and it had 80+ errors within the first few minutes.

The RMA has been complete and Overclockers have sent out a replacement set.
I reset the CMOS (Using the button on the mobo) added the RAM and went to boot. It blue screens again.

I have checked all 4 slots on the motherboard dual and single.
I tried removing the drive that has the o/s on and just a fresh HD to try and install a Win7 again but it blue screens after the initial black loading screen for reading the install disk.

I have been running MemTest for the last hour and no errors so far.
I am just about to stop MemTest and update the BIOS as I've seen in a few places this may help.

If that fails, the only thing I can assume is, the motherboard is not working correctly? But can this cause damage to the RAM?

Does anyone else have some suggestions I can try? At a loss as to what it could be.

Thanks

Associate
OP
I updated the BIOS to latest available on ASUS website, I was then getting "Bootmgr is missing Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart"
As I didn't have a Windows 10 disk as it is an upgrade I am attempting a fresh install of Windows 7. My C: drive is empty so nothing lost apart from the Windows 10 install.

Installing windows and the PC restarted part way through. Now just get The computer restarted unexpectedly. Then restarting the machine to try and install from the disc again I get a blue screen error again but this time it's just a generic BSOD. With the error code 0x0000001A.

Seen someone else has had 2 motherboards returned due to faulty ram slots, http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18687243&page=4

Going to ring overclockers in the morning, as not sure what to do or what is wrong. I've started MemTest again.

Last edited:
Soldato
I did have a problem with my hero boards, but they got returned and i exchanged for a Ranger board, and with same memory no problems at all so far, overclockers were great and all sorted now, but others with hero boards are fine on this forum thou, guess i had badluck, if you think its your board, overclockers will test it for you.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the reply, Overclockers have advised me to go and modify the timings on my RAM in the bios as it may be running to fast for my setup. Still unsure to the response only because I expect something like Memory to work out of the box.

"It's just because the z170 chipset is still relatively new and RAM support isn't great yet."

Associate
OP
Cheers Daytrader.
Running memory at 2133 and all appears to be stable. Have run memtest overnight twice more just to be sure the first issue hasn't returned.

Soldato
If your using pc mainly for gaming, at most the difference is like a extra 1 or 2 fps in game from 2133 to 3000(some games no difference), so no need to change it if all stable.

Back
Top Bottom