Windows 10 Start Up Time???

Associate
I was running Windows 8.1 and really happy with how quick my system loaded but then couldn't upgrade to Windows 10 so I freshly installed Windows 8.1 and then upgraded to 10 straight away then installed all my stuff.

I noticed yesterday that it seems to be taking a while to get going ive just timed it and its at 50 seconds I'm sure 8.1 was about 20 seconds. I know its not the end of the world but is there anything I can do?

Running
Windows 10
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti
16gb RAM
250gb Samsung Evo SSD
3tb HDD (storage)

Associate
That does seem slow for a SSD boot. Aside from the questions above, have you installed much other software since the win 10? Also, you may want to do a fresh install of win 10 now that you've completed the upgrade.

Man of Honour
Seems to be the way with Windows 10 - every now and again it boots fairly quickly but most of the time (probably doing some background updates, etc) it takes from the same time as my Windows 7 systems to twice as long. Windows 8 creams all over it for fast boot times.

Associate
OP
Updated all your drivers? any odd programs set to run at start up?

I've checked every update option on the system and all show up-to-date

No odd programs there is only 11 programs in the start up list

did you have the 3tb hdd plugged in when you reinstalled

Yeah everything in the system was plugged in when I installed the OS

That does seem slow for a SSD boot. Aside from the questions above, have you installed much other software since the win 10? Also, you may want to do a fresh install of win 10 now that you've completed the upgrade.

Nope the only things I've installed is Adobe CC for PS, Light room, and Bridge then Office 13 and iTunes. I've got more on my list to do but didn't want to bother when I can tell something not totally correct

Seems to be the way with Windows 10 - every now and again it boots fairly quickly but most of the time (probably doing some background updates, etc) it takes from the same time as my Windows 7 systems to twice as long. Windows 8 creams all over it for fast boot times.

well that's just ** Any swearing must be fully starred out, do not attempt to bypass swear filter **

Associate
OP

Sorry what do you mean a fresh install of windows 10 now that I've done the upgrade?

Associate
Sorry what do you mean a fresh install of windows 10 now that I've done the upgrade?

What I meant was a clean install, rather than the upgrade from 8.1 > 10. Once the upgrade has completed you can format you SSD and then perform a clean Win 10 install from scratch. The Windows servers will have your hardware logged against the Win 10 'upgrade' install and you can then run a clean install.

There are guides on doing this in this section/elsewhere on the web.

If you have already done this then apologies - it was unclear from your original post.

Associate
OP
What I meant was a clean install, rather than the upgrade from 8.1 > 10. Once the upgrade has completed you can format you SSD and then perform a clean Win 10 install from scratch. The Windows servers will have your hardware logged against the Win 10 'upgrade' install and you can then run a clean install.

There are guides on doing this in this section/elsewhere on the web.

If you have already done this then apologies - it was unclear from your original post.

Thanks for cleaning that up.....

I think that might have to be the next step but I might have already done it I cant remember if it upgraded to windows 10 before I flattened it and restarted! who knows if I'm still having issues ill go down that route.

Ive just done a few restarts off the belt and had just less that 20 seconds on every one so I'm happy for now

V F

V F

Soldato
I've never, ever seen a Windows 7 PC boot from cold in 3 seconds. You're lucky if it's even past the BIOS/boot logo before then.

Some boards don't take long to post. I know with mine if I don't press DEL within 1 second I've missed it and that fast boot option isn't enabled. As the screen more or less appears for half a second.

Soldato
Even 20 seconds is slow. I know Windows 7 and 8.1 boots up from power button in 2 - 3 seconds.

Im guessing that was from sleep, because from the power off position the pc has to go though all the POST stuff before it even starts loading windows. My POST is stupidly slow about 5 -10 secs and then another 5-10sec to boot windows. But I use sleep/standby so its no probs and do a reboot weekly.

Soldato
That is very slow.

Is it hanging at any point? Like a black screen after the windows logo with the mouse cursor showing or anything like that?

I had an issue with windows 10 where it would show the blue windows logo, then show the mouse cursor but would maybe take an extra 30s to show the lock screen.

How I fixed it: disabled lock screen via gpedit, and I also had to disable my motherboards wifi.

Soldato
It's the BIOS stuff that takes the time for me, even with fast boot etc enabled, press the button to desktop is probably 25-30 seconds cold boot, the windows bit is about 5-10 seconds.

V F

V F

Soldato
Im guessing that was from sleep, because from the power off position the pc has to go though all the POST stuff before it even starts loading windows. My POST is stupidly slow about 5 -10 secs and then another 5-10sec to boot windows. But I use sleep/standby so its no probs and do a reboot weekly.

No. I don't use sleep.

I thought I responded to this last night. :s

It is similar to this but without the long black screens.

Back
Top Bottom