PC wont boot! HELP!

Associate
Ok, so a few days ago I started my PC just like every other night. Only this time it wouldnt boot past the black "loading operating system" screen. Once this goes the screen fades from the normal light black to solid black and nothing happens from there.

I have tried loads of different things to fix this but I've had no luck!
I've tried my HDD in a friend's PC (It worked fine)
CHKDSK reads no errors.
I've switch my graphics card to my old card to see if the card was the problem
Green wire test on my PSU works fine.
Switching the RAM up does nothing.
Repairing using Win7 disc doesn't work.
Safe mode doesn't work what so ever.
I've tried resetting the CMOS.

Everything seems to be in perfect working order, only it isn't...
I'm wondering if any of you guys can shine some light onto this for me as I'm completely flummoxed. If you need to know anything else, just ask!

Thanks in advance everyone!

Associate
Long shot but have you tried a different display?

I once had a problem where my display resolution would be correct during boot but as windows was about to open my settings would switch and cause my monitor to drop out.. like i say, long shot, but worth a try for the sake of elimination.

Associate
OP
I'll try a different display Ledz thanks, and a different cable too.
And yeah Sam, already tried that with no luck.
Specs are:
i5 2500k
R9 290
8gb Corsir (4+4)
CX 750
Z68

Associate
OP
Ok, so I'm home from work now and this is everything I've tried today:
I've tried 2 different HDMI and DVI cables in my current r9 290 and my old GPU.
Using a different monitor did the same thing only it didn't fade to a solid black, it just stayed at the light black. (in guessing my monitor has a sleep setting which is why it fades to black?)
And I've tried my old PSU

But my problem still persists! I'm stumped!

Caporegime
it fades to black because nothing is happening,you should be seeing a display

what motherboard is it? model of it

no way to test with igpu?

done a long cmos clear,motherboard battery left out a good 15 minutes then put back in and try

Associate
OP
Gigabyte Z68A-D3B3
I've done a short close clear, maybe 5 minutes. I've just taken the battery out now , I'll pop in back in 15 minutes or so.
I could test it without the GPU in but I'd need to find myself a cable that will fit the display port on my mobo. But to be honest I don't even think there is a display port on the motherboard...

I have tried to boot from a Windows disc & USB, it doesn't work.

Associate
Strange that you can get past bios, into boot but no further (even with USB/DVD). Usually, your symptoms would indicate a windows error or boot config error.

If there are onboard graphics you should be able to boot without a gfx card. You then should be able to tell from the hdd response (if its not ssd) or windows load sound if you can get to windows.

Other ideas... update bios to the latest version? Also check boot and drive config in the bios -- HD might need to be set to ACHI for example (like mine, or no boot).

Bit stumped on this I have to admit though.

Associate
OP
I did try again with booting from the Win7 disc, it came up with the loading Windows screen, then stalled once it had finished loading and seemed like it crashed. I left it like that for at least 20 minutes and nothin g happened.

Associate
Turn on the pc then smash the delete / f2 key to get into the bios,
then reset all bios settings and save and exit
We can troubleshoot from there

Last edited:
Associate
I did try again with booting from the Win7 disc, it came up with the loading Windows screen, then stalled once it had finished loading and seemed like it crashed. I left it like that for at least 20 minutes and nothin g happened.

Do you have another hd to try? Since its getting to Windows it points at this somewhat.

Get an ssd this weekend and install Windows on that. If that fails to resolve things, at least you still have a nice upgrade for the pc when it's fixed :)

Back
Top Bottom