Bedroom Is Freezing, What Do I Check For?

Soldato
The heating is on, but the bedroom is still noticeably colder than the rest of the house. It's uncomfortably chilly.

There is a large gap under the bedroom door but the hallway is warm. The UPVC windows do condensate a lot, and sometimes develop a mould (that i remove cause gross). The windows have those little vents at the top but they're closed.

I cant see any holes or anything that would point to outside air.

It's a rented property so I'm not going to replace the windows, but what can i check for and do relatively easily? Am I missing something obvious?

Hlep :(

Man of Honour
Being freezing like that can only really be down to air movement IMO. Hold your hands around the seals of the windows and feel for a draft. If it's that, you can get strips of sticky foam that you can stick in the gaps, so that the window presses against it when it closes and makes a proper seal.

Soldato
Are the windows double-glazed? If not, bubblewrap on the windows is a good substitute. And you should leave the little window vent open so air can circulate.

Associate
Check the loft for insulation. Makes a massive difference.
This. I moved into a relatively new build 3 years ago and first winter the temperature in my daughters room was way colder than the rest. Turns out the builders had completely missed out all insulation above her room. Once it was installed we could tell the difference that very same night.

Soldato
I would suggest that the double glazed windows are complete trash if you are getting condensation in/on them. You can get a simple kit to put clear film over windows to make them glazed (it's just another air gap you are adding).

Check insulation below the floor, and in the ceiling (as mentioned).

Is this room exposed or in the shade?

Soldato
IIRC from the room gallery thread your room has bare brick walls and is in an attic, or am I thinking of someone else?

I'm guessing it is down to a lack of insulation in the walls and the roof space.

Soldato
Either a draught/air hole somewhere near the floor or window or your partner is sapping the warmth from you.
I have a similar problem but she's on a course for a few days so that should narrow it down

Soldato
Our new house is really cold throughout, putting it down to 50% of the loft having no insulation under the loft boards (will be getting Celotex fitted when i get round to it), old double glazing that gets heavy condensation on so im guessing its time to replace them, (will be going with triple glazing).
Suspended timber ground floor has no insulation, (celotex here as well as soon as money allows)

Soldato
Check the loft for sufficient insulation and brick outside the room for damage, is there any damp on the walls or is it just on the Windows?

I have a wall that gets cold and damp when the temp drops and gets worse when airing clothes, I'm getting a dehumidifier in the Friday sales hopefully and there is a damage brick on the opposite side of the wall that I can patch up when the CBA gathers

Soldato
Our new house is really cold throughout, putting it down to 50% of the loft having no insulation under the loft boards (will be getting Celotex fitted when i get round to it), old double glazing that gets heavy condensation on so im guessing its time to replace them, (will be going with triple glazing).
Suspended timber ground floor has no insulation, (celotex here as well as soon as money allows)

More insulation wont stop damp, it will make it worse as less air is moving in the house although it will affect make the heating more effective

To stop damp you need more air and to up the temps you need to shut the windows and have the heating on so in some houses its a constant battle, most people resolve it with dehumidifiers, extraction fans in bathrooms and kitchens etc

Soldato
Insulation in the wall would stop the wall becoming so cold that water condenses on the surface. But like you say getting the water out of the air in the first place is a priority.

Back
Top Bottom