Making the jump from Android to a Windows 10 mobile?

Soldato
Most of the apps on Windows are not native ones, but ones coded by some random bloke in his bedroom.

The question you have to ask yourself, is this

Did you like Android in 2011

If the answer is yes, then you might like it

Soldato
I'm in the same boat, and I've been holding out for the 950 for some time. I nearly took the plunge and got the 940 a few months back. I've currently got a HTC One M7 and have had it since launch (approx 3 years?). Before that i had iPhones. If I'm honest, i prefered IOS clean and solid feel. Android has definitely got better though and the apps I use are decent.

I'm really keen to get a 950 and also move onto the Windows Phone platform as the company I work for are keen to use them going forward. I've had a small play on it with the dock and it looks impressive.

Apps I currently use:

Chrome
Google Maps
Tapatalk
Gmail
Facebook + Facebook Messenger
Twitter
Snapchat
Tumblr
Natwest Banking
YouYube
SkyGo
BBC iPlayer
eBay
Auto Trader
Gumtree

Anyone know if many of those will work on Lumia 950 Windows 10?

Man of Honour
Chrome - no, just inbuilt edge or operandi a few others.
Google Maps - no, however Here maps which are better
Tapatalk - yep no idea what it's like
Gmail -no, however inbuilt mail will handle pretty much any email
Facebook + Facebook Messenger - yep
Twitter - yep but tweetium is better
Snapshot - 6chat no idea what it's like, they've said on twitter they're making an official app, who knows when it'll be out
Tumbler - yep no idea what it's like
Natwest Banking - yep no idea what it's like
YouYube - no, but plenty of third party apps, I like mytube
SkyGo - no
BBC iPlayer - yep but no program download like android
eBay - yep no idea what it's like, I just use web
Auto Trader - yep no idea what it's like
Gumtree - one third party app, no idea what it's like.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm more than happy with my 930 but I'm not a big app user. I ultimately switch from Android because I had massive battery life issues on a ~1 year old Nexus 5 then it was replaced (power switch) and that phone's USB port doesn't seem to work properly.

Apps wise for me I get by quite happily with:

A Twitter client - I'm using Aeries
Readit for random reddit browsing
RBS - Banking app
Facebook - bit limited/buggy at times but it's a fun distraction for the few times I'm not at my PC
Netflix - ALL the TV shows :D
Instagram - because why not?

Otherwise very happy with the built in apps - Cortana, Mix Radio, OneDrive (despite it's recent cuts...), Podcast app, News etc all seem to work just fine and fit my needs very well :)

Little to complain about imo. People like to moan about anything they can.

Short version: Phone works as a PHONE and messaging device VERY well and the other stuff is just a nice bonus imo. I'm probably in a minority like that though.

Man of Honour
Integration with Gmail and google maps is faultless. We run all our calendars, mail and file sharing through Google and windows phone is a joy to use with it

Associate
I love Android, and especially Android 5, so I don't recommend you to jump from Android to Windows 10.

I also could upgrade my notebook from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 and I won't do it...

Caporegime
They all work better than official youtube apps.

What Official Youtube app?

thats just not true, you can use whichever search provider you like. I've had mine set to Google since the day I got it.

So when you press the hardware search button it opens Google? Is that a WP10 thing, as I can't remember it being possible on 8/8.1?

Last edited:
Soldato
Its been possible since win8, its right there in the settings.

Been using Windoes Phones for years now, wouldn't bother with Android or iOS now.

Soldato
Ive been able to change the default Search operator since Window's 8.

Also Metrotube/ Mytube etc...are far better IMO, they skip all or anything that looks like an ad, downloadable offline, playback screen lock etc.

Associate
I've recently upgraded to Windows 10 and am very pleased with it.

I've decided I'm going to migrate from a android tablet and android phone to windows 10 tablets and windows 10 phones.

I'm not a heavy app user. So as long as I can facebook, check my mail, browse web, MS office, read kindle books and watch mp4 videos I'm happy. It will be nice to have everything under the same ecosystem.

I particular like the fact for windows 10 tablets that you can connect a keyboard and mouse turning the system into a full function able windows desktop.

Soldato
I've been to windows phone twice, both times leaving Android, and both times hating it, i think now even with W10 i would never go back, and will stick with Android or give ios a try next.

Soldato
Here maps you can download the whole map for free, also maps for other countries, so it's completely offline if you want.

I use it over Gmaps for that reason alone.

Back
Top Bottom